Zoo sketches from a recent trip.

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by I.R Joey, Sep 14, 2006.

1. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

So on Labor day this year (that would be the U.S labor day) my buddy Adrian and I went to the zoo to do some drawing. We got there at about 11 and left at about 5:45 and we got some good stuff in. Adrian is one of those cool guys, who you love to go sketching with (he's a fellow animation student, who just graduated this year), but he draws so fluidly that you get jealous just watching him :D. In any case here's what I did. I apologize for the Hippo and Ostritch pics being bigger than the others.

[​IMG]
    I like this one the best of all the pieces of the day. Hippos are just fun animals to sketch. They have all that mass on that body that's just great to work with.
    [​IMG]
    This one was weird because I was drawing the hog in the foreground, and the one behind it. Suddenly another one comes around and I worry he'll ruin my study. Then he plops down and I realize he's given me a perfect composition to work with.
    [​IMG]
    This Elephant seemed kind of antsy, and just rocking up and down. I had feared that it was going nuts because of mistreatment, but when I told my brother about it he reminded me that the black stuff dripping down the side of its head meant it was in musk. Yikes, glad there was a barrier there.

[​IMG]
    The Flamingos are towards the front of the zoo so they're great for warm ups before getting to some of the bigger animals.
    [​IMG]

This Giraffe walked right up to where we were and started chowing down on a tree. Naturally we had to sketch it because you don't often get to see the top of a Giraffe's head. The lower study was of an unrelated baby giraffe.

[​IMG]
    Albert Durer once did a drawing of a Rhino that I thought was fascinating. He embeleshed the skin on the thing making it look like armor. I thought he was doing one of those things (which all artist do) where they caricture something to a great degree. Then I really got to studying one of these guys and I realized that the folds in their skin actually do look like thick armor. Durer obviously was still embelishing, but while I was sketching this guy I realized not as much.

[​IMG]
    Fun animals to draw those Koalas. Luckily I got a good view, they don't always lend themselves to that.

[​IMG]
    Not a great portrait of the animal I was studying, but I still think it has some good charecter to it.

[​IMG]
    This Ostritch was in a pretty isolated part of the Zoo. He was still fun to draw though. Not a great portrait, but again I think it has a good charecter.

[​IMG]setImgWidth();
    Finally s Zebra I can be sort of proud of. I'm pretty much on record in talking about my troubles with drawing members of the horse family, but this one turned out better than some of the real stinkers I've done. Interesting fact, apparently zebras are all black with white stripes, rather than the other way around.

Hope you enjoy the drawings.

2. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Some great, natural curves there. Confidence in a stroke. I really like the first one - the Hippo is really great. That should be cropped, that's got real feeling. Don't know yourself, I think what you do is awesome; you go out, draw different things and seem to be constantly growing as an artist with a wealth of different subject matter. Always a pleasure to see your threads because the sketches will always be something unique. Great work. Love the Flamingo head too.

3. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

Thank you, it's kind of my philosophy that in order to truley understand life drawing requires that the artist sometimes venture away from the patiently posed model and controled studio enviroment and draw from the outside world. Models are great of course (they have crazy patience, I so appreciate someone who can hold a pose for 20 or more minutes), but there's a diffrent kind of rush to drawing someone who's not specifically posing for you. It's also interesting to see people react to you sketching in public. Though at the zoo you sometimes see other people doing the same thing.

4. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Nice work