Your Toys R Us Memories

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
I've noticed that the second season of each Marvel Studios show, and the second instalment of each of their movie series, has a noticeable drop in quality from the first. Despite the consensus, I also regard Captain America: The Winter Soldier as part of the trend - I thought the tone veered too far into ridiculous after the reveal of HYDRA's ultimate plan, and also that the Winter Soldier himself almost felt tacked onto the story. I'd probably regard Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 as an exception, if I could better stand how slow its pace seems compared to that of Vol. 1.

Also, I wonder how exactly the Lopezes would react to writing songs for a Frozen sequel like that, even though at least one song they added to the Broadway musical - "Monster" - sounds pretty grim.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
May 14, 2002
Ratings
New York
users.ign.com
There's a Frozen stage musical on the way so I'd say Frozen still has a bit of life in it yet. And is the Frozen 2 "synopsis" supposed to be referencing something? I know it is but I'm not sure of what.
Jessica Jones Season 2, which I'm still mad about.
I've noticed that the second season of each Marvel Studios show, and the second instalment of each of their movie series, has a noticeable drop in quality from the first. Despite the consensus, I also regard Captain America: The Winter Soldier as part of the trend - I thought the tone veered too far into ridiculous after the reveal of HYDRA's ultimate plan, and also that the Winter Soldier himself almost felt tacked onto the story. I'd probably regard Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 as an exception, if I could better stand how slow its pace seems compared to that of Vol. 1.

Also, I wonder how exactly the Lopezes would react to writing songs for a Frozen sequel like that, even though at least one song they added to the Broadway musical - "Monster" - sounds pretty grim.
What do these posts have to do with Toys R Us closing?

mimitchi33

Kiratto PriChan, On Air!
Jul 5, 2010
Ratings
72 1
My fondest memory is this thing they had every summer called Camp Geoffery, where they would host events related to the toys they sold, like a Cabbage Patch Kids event where you got a free VHS (the only thing I remember from that tape was liking the Mumfie preview a lot), a make-your-own Golden Book Event, and ones where you made doll clothes. I also remember going to the big one in New York City for the Tamagotchi Summer Gigs event (I was obsessed at the time), and me and my sister's picture appeared on the official website!
An expansion on the first post: the Platypus Comix Farewell Toys R Us Tour!
http://www.platypuscomix.net/history/toysrus.html
Regarding the part in this about Frozen loosing popularity, while Olaf's Frozen Adventure did fail in theaters because it was a short that took too long, it was actually the movie Trolls that killed its' popularity. That's the movie where the song "Can't Stop The Feeling!" comes from, and is possibly one of the few times Dreamworks beat Disney. The toys are everywhere and some of them always sell out, particually the blind bags. Compared to Frozen's popularity, this film became popular in an instant (I literally saw merchandise fly off shelves the week after its' release). It also has a show on Netflix, which Frozen doesn't (other than the Northern Lights special and Olaf appearing on Sofia the First). But like Frozen, they had a holiday special, and that special beat out the Frozen one by just a thousand or so viewers. You can also say that Moana played a part in this, but it isn't as big as Trolls is.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,257 7
In A House
My local Toys R Us closed like 10 years ago and it’s old building was converted into a performing arts center. Some memories of Toys R Us I have include this one time around 1996 there was some special event where they had a lot of people in costumes like Barbie and Mr. Potato Head.

mimitchi33

Kiratto PriChan, On Air!
Jul 5, 2010
Ratings
72 1
********. Zootopia and Moana each grossed more than Trolls did, at both the domestic and worldwide box offices, not to mention Zootopia winning the most Oscars among all three of those movies.
I meant in terms of merchandise sales, including toys and DVDs. Moana does sell a lot more dolls, but Trolls is the second-most popular of the toylines based on movies.
Also, I heard KB Toys is coming back to fill the gap left by TRU.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
Also, I heard KB Toys is coming back to fill the gap left by TRU.
Someone already mentioned that earlier in the thread.
Reminded now of HHGregg coming back as an online store not long after they closed up all their physical stores. Some people chalked it up to SiIvaGunner using their Christmas in July jingle in some of their rips; HHGregg has actually acknowledged SiIva on their Twitter. Here's just one rip featuring the Christmas in July song:

JoeMabbon

Starship Captain
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,259 2
En route to Cyberutopia
I didn't actually live near a Toys R Us until the end of my action figure childhood. By the time I got into collecting, I just relied on the internet. The last few years I've had to go there as an adult for Christmas shopping were unpleasant, but dull. Clogged aisles, product strewn all over the floor and shelves, and clueless staff. Basically what you can get anywhere at that time of year.

I do have one positive memory. There was a Toys R Us near the place where my mom and grandma were buying furniture and they let me hang out there while they shopped on the weekend. I got to play through all of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door's demo scenarios. Love that game.

I've noticed that the second season of each Marvel Studios show, and the second instalment of each of their movie series, has a noticeable drop in quality from the first. Despite the consensus, I also regard Captain America: The Winter Soldier as part of the trend - I thought the tone veered too far into ridiculous after the reveal of HYDRA's ultimate plan
I expect a certain amount of realism from my evil, serpent-themed terrorist organizations.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
May 14, 2002
Ratings
New York
users.ign.com
R.I.P. Charles Lazarus, and thanks for being a part of my youth.

Since stores are going to start liquidating, I'd like to get a Pro Controller for the Switch. I believe it would come in handy for the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection for when it comes out.

I went to a store before work, and they actually had three of the special edition sets for Breath of the Wild.