Your Toys R Us Memories

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Jessica Jones Season 2, which I'm still mad about.

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the second season of each Marvel Studios show, and the second instalment of each of their movie series, has a noticeable drop in quality from the first. Despite the consensus, I also regard Captain America: The Winter Soldier as part of the trend - I thought the tone veered too far into ridiculous after the reveal of HYDRA's ultimate plan, and also that the Winter Soldier himself almost felt tacked onto the story. I'd probably regard Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 as an exception, if I could better stand how slow its pace seems compared to that of Vol. 1.

Also, I wonder how exactly the Lopezes would react to writing songs for a Frozen sequel like that, even though at least one song they added to the Broadway musical - "Monster" - sounds pretty grim.

3. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

What do these posts have to do with Toys R Us closing?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

You're just mad because ice cream has no bones.

5. Dsneybuf

@Storm Eagle The article Peter wrote about visiting his Toys 'R' Us one last time included a picture of a nearly-empty rack of Frozen merchandise, followed by a fake summary for Frozen 2.

6. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

the joke summary of Frozen 2 in the article was actually that of Jessica Jones season 2. So the thread kinda muffined a bit.
    ("Muffin" is a term for a thread going off topic, whether intentionally or not.)

7. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Idol Time Countdown!

My fondest memory is this thing they had every summer called Camp Geoffery, where they would host events related to the toys they sold, like a Cabbage Patch Kids event where you got a free VHS (the only thing I remember from that tape was liking the Mumfie preview a lot), a make-your-own Golden Book Event, and ones where you made doll clothes. I also remember going to the big one in New York City for the Tamagotchi Summer Gigs event (I was obsessed at the time), and me and my sister's picture appeared on the official website!
    Regarding the part in this about Frozen loosing popularity, while Olaf's Frozen Adventure did fail in theaters because it was a short that took too long, it was actually the movie Trolls that killed its' popularity. That's the movie where the song "Can't Stop The Feeling!" comes from, and is possibly one of the few times Dreamworks beat Disney. The toys are everywhere and some of them always sell out, particually the blind bags. Compared to Frozen's popularity, this film became popular in an instant (I literally saw merchandise fly off shelves the week after its' release). It also has a show on Netflix, which Frozen doesn't (other than the Northern Lights special and Olaf appearing on Sofia the First). But like Frozen, they had a holiday special, and that special beat out the Frozen one by just a thousand or so viewers. You can also say that Moana played a part in this, but it isn't as big as Trolls is.

8. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Toys R Us I went to had a Thomas display that I used to play with whenever I went there. Other than that, I don't have much in the way of memories other than I enjoyed going there and getting toys.

9. Dsneybuf

********. Zootopia and Moana each grossed more than Trolls did, at both the domestic and worldwide box offices, not to mention Zootopia winning the most Oscars among all three of those movies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #29 Dsneybuf, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  10. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

My local Toys R Us closed like 10 years ago and it’s old building was converted into a performing arts center. Some memories of Toys R Us I have include this one time around 1996 there was some special event where they had a lot of people in costumes like Barbie and Mr. Potato Head.

11. Chocolate Fizzles

Chocolate Fizzles The Daffiest Duck

Toys R Us was the toy store I always go to but the prices high. As the Toys R Us stores closes, I've found alternate places to buy toys with better prices which makes me happier about Toys R Us closing.

12. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I recently went to Toys R Us weeks ago because I heard they were closing down, so I did what anyone else would do when a store closes down: GO ON A SHOPPING SPREE! I got a couple of toys for myself and my brother.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Idol Time Countdown!

I meant in terms of merchandise sales, including toys and DVDs. Moana does sell a lot more dolls, but Trolls is the second-most popular of the toylines based on movies.
    Also, I heard KB Toys is coming back to fill the gap left by TRU.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

Someone already mentioned that earlier in the thread.
    Reminded now of HHGregg coming back as an online store not long after they closed up all their physical stores. Some people chalked it up to SiIvaGunner using their Christmas in July jingle in some of their rips; HHGregg has actually acknowledged SiIva on their Twitter. Here's just one rip featuring the Christmas in July song:

15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ninja Commando

I didn't actually live near a Toys R Us until the end of my action figure childhood. By the time I got into collecting, I just relied on the internet. The last few years I've had to go there as an adult for Christmas shopping were unpleasant, but dull. Clogged aisles, product strewn all over the floor and shelves, and clueless staff. Basically what you can get anywhere at that time of year.

I do have one positive memory. There was a Toys R Us near the place where my mom and grandma were buying furniture and they let me hang out there while they shopped on the weekend. I got to play through all of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door's demo scenarios. Love that game.

I expect a certain amount of realism from my evil, serpent-themed terrorist organizations.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dsneybuf

I just thought the climax of The Winter Soldier felt incongruous to a movie that seemed to start out as a grey and grey morality thriller.

17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I think Winter Soldier is the best Marvel film, period. There is a legit argument to be made it's the best Superhero film period too.

18. Dsneybuf

I'd rather pick Captain America: Civil War as my personal favorite superhero movie, though both of its predecessors also broke my top 10 favorite Marvel Studios flicks.

In more relevant news, the founder of Toys 'R' Us also died this year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

R.I.P. Charles Lazarus, and thanks for being a part of my youth.

Since stores are going to start liquidating, I'd like to get a Pro Controller for the Switch. I believe it would come in handy for the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection for when it comes out.

I went to a store before work, and they actually had three of the special edition sets for Breath of the Wild.

20. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

• Like Like x 2