Your Predictions for the 2002-03 Saturday Morning Ratings Wars

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Tommy Lawson, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

With Kids' WB finally announcing their schedule for Sept. 14, the battle positions are set for the upcoming season. Below is a listing of the 3 broadcast networks I feel are really going head-to-head for the ratings crown: Kids WB, ABC Kids, and Fox Box.

Eastern Time/Central and Pacific Time
    Kids' WB!/ABC Kids/Fox Box

8:00am ET/7:00am CT & PT
    Yu-Gi-Oh!/Disney'sTeamo Supremo/Stargate Infinity

8:30am ET/7:30am CT & PT
    What's New Scooby Doo?/Disney's Recess/Ultraman Tiga

9:00am ET/8:00am CT & PT
    Jackie Chan Adventures/Disney's Fillmore!/Kirby

9:30am ET/8:30am CT & PT
    Ozzy & Drix/Disney's Recess/Ultimate Muscle

10:00am ET/9:00am CT & PT
    Pokemon: Master Quest/Lizzie McGuire/Ultraman Tiga (TMNT in Q1 2003)

10:30am ET/9:30am CT & PT
    ¡Mucha Lucha!/The Proud Family/Ultimate Muscle

11:00am ET/10:00am CT & PT
    Yu-Gi-Oh!/Disney's Kim Possible/Kirby

11:30am ET/10:30am CT & PT
    X-Men: Evolution/Power Rangers Wild Force/Fighting Foodons

12:00pm ET/11:00am CT & PT (ABC Kids Only)
    Power Rangers Wild Force (Digimon takes its place on Nov. 30)

12:30pm/11:30am CT & PT (ABC Kids Only)
    NBA Inside Stuff

Last year, Fox Kids, CBS, and ABC tied for fourth place, behind Nickelodeon (1), Kids' WB (2), and Cartoon Network (3). With Fox Kids now dead, Discovery now doing Saturday morning programming duties for NBC, and Disney's One Saturday Morning being put to rest in favor of ABC Kids, this upcoming season sees the most changes in broadcast Saturday morning in a very, very long time.

Here are some of my predictions for the upcoming season: Kids' WB will cease issuing press releases saying they have year-to-year ratings gains because the competition over at ABC Kids and Fox Box will be the ones with ratings gains to report, most likely at Kids' WB expense. 4Kids should do better than what Fox Kids was getting in the ratings in the past six months, but still will have a tough time without a cable partner to help advertise. ABC Kids this year has a much stronger schedule ratings-wise than anything they cooked up last year in the OSM era. I believe that the whole point of that whole Scooby-Doo Clues contest is to prevent kids from changing the channel to Fox Box or ABC Kids, and that's especially true if the Power Rangers' episode Forever Red airs that day. Will Yu-Gi-Oh continue to be as dominant as it has been this past season? I don't think so. If Pokemon was any indication, super-hot series tend to cool off after a short while. Everyone knew Pokemon was invincible back in November 1999, but by May 2000, Digimon was competing right alongside it. I certainly hope Kids' WB is in for a challenge this season. Having a more competitive Saturday morning environment would greatly improve the quality of the shows aired IMO.

2. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

Anything with the Disney machine behind it is going to be in for the long fight.

ABC finished second (broadcast) this past season with a lesser 1SM lineup and a bastion of affiliates who chop up the schedule as if it were a piece of steak at Benihana.

Who knows what they could pull if they only get their stations to fall in line?

I think we might just see KWB start to suffer the same fate as the once-mighty Fox Kids, seeing its ratings decline as the competition puts more energy into its programming and promotion.

But, to WB's credit, it didn't sit on its Poke-laurels. It went and found heavyweights like YuGiOh, Jackie Chan and X-Men. It's to a point now where they only need to air one ep of Pokemon each week.

I think WB will hold on to the #1 spot, but it won't be a cakewalk this time.

3. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

My Two Cents

As noted, this fall's Sat. morning lineup is showing some signs of change from the previous few seasons; I imagine between the networks shuffling who produces their various series (ABC accepting a few non-Disney shows via the Power Rangers/Digimon, NBC going to Discovery, etc.) and the once-all-powerful Poke-franchise *finally* having lost some amount of steam, this fall might well be interesting to watch...from a ratings race perspective, anyway. For me, don't see much on to look forward to...

Overall, Kids WB should continue IMO to dominate the ratings race among the broadcast nets, with Pokemon, the new "Scooby Doo" series and X-Men: Evolution aiding in its victory. However, I agree that it won't be as easy a win as last year's ratings contest was...

Of course, for all we know, NBC's all-Discovery Channel lineup could somehow actually triumph ratings-wise, but that seems pretty doubtful; so I'll just analyze the following shows below...

The breakdown of the lineups:
    >>>

<<<

8 AM: Likely going to "Yu-Gi-Oh", with "Stargate Infinity" (whatever that is) coming in second. Don't see "Teamo" as much of a ratings contender, I admit...unless they take drastic changes in making the second season's batch of episodes different from the first (giving the kids seperate personalities might be a start... :) "Teamo" also gets hampered by possible pre-emptions in some areas (esp. in the Central Time Zone, with a 7 AM start time) for Sat. morning newscasts....

>>>8:30am ET/7:30am CT & PT

"Scooby" should easily win here, with "Recess" (still popular, but with it stuck in reruns, its popularity probably waning) and "Ultraman" duking it out for second place. See 8 AM comments above for ABC and pre-emption possibilities (the likely reason for the doubling-up of Recess episodes).

>>>9:00am ET/8:00am CT & PT

Not sure what "Fillmore!" is about (guessing Kirby's based on that one Nintendo game?), but while I lean in favor of JCA, it might get beat by one of the other two shows, depending on what "Fillmore" and "Kirby" are about...

>>>9:30am ET/8:30am CT & PT

Not sure here, but guessing it won't be "Recess" (see above reasons why); either "Ozzy" or "Ultimate" (whatever that's about) I suppose....unless both these two shows are bad enough to kid viewers that they'd rather watch "Recess".

>>10:00am ET/9:00am CT & PT

"Pokemon" stays the course in this slot, though "Ultraman" might well steal some of its thunder (and once TMNT comes on the air, the timeslot could go either way, I figure....assuming today's kids [who a good chunk of weren't even born when TMNT originally aired on CBS] will still dig the "heroes in a half-shell"). Pokemon-vs.-TMNT might well be the main ratings battle on Sat. morning this fall to keep an eye on.

>>10:30am ET/9:30am CT & PT

No idea...though "Proud" has some history behind it via its Disney Channel airings, which might give it an edge over its newer competition.

>>>11:00am ET/10:00am CT & PT

Probably mainly between "Yu-Gi-Oh" and "Kim".

ABC from this point onward timeslot-wise gets hampered by possible pre-emptions for college sports/regional programming in the fall and early winter months...

>>>11:30am ET/10:30am CT & PT

X-Men should take this timeslot, though not without an easy fight against the still-popular-for-who-knows-what-reason Power Rangers...

>>>12:00pm ET/11:00am CT & PT (ABC Kids Only)
    Power Rangers Wild Force (Digimon takes its place on Nov. 30)

ABC takes this timeslot against its only broadcasting competition, NBC (if it plans on airing Discovery shows through 1 PM); however, college sports pre-emptions and such might rob ABC of this easy ratings win for any kid viewers still watching TV at this point.

>>>12:30pm/11:30am CT & PT (ABC Kids Only)
    NBA Inside Stuff

See noon timeslot comments above.

Summary:
    ABC: With ABC's ratings problems across-the-board (its primetime lineup this past season has been the biggest ratings disaster on network television in at least the past few decades), having its individual affiliates splice up its early Sat. morning time for newscasts and ABC itself likely to pre-empt various timeslots from 11 AM onwards for sports won't help it in its competition against the other broadcast networks on Saturdays...

CBS: Should hold steady to its small share of the audience with airing Nickelodeon-based shows.

NBC: Unless one of the Discovery shows becomes a breakout hit, don't see its ratings changing much at all from this past season's teen-oriented shows' ratings.

FOX: Not sure how the "Fox Box" will fare, though getting TMNT should as noted make things more interesting...

WB: "Pokemon" and other strong programming should aid KWB in a ratings victory overall, though it won't come easily by any means...and TMNT going against its beloved Poke-franchise might not be pretty.

UPN: Not mentioned above, but with this being the last season for "One Too", from what I can barely recall of the lineup, there's only one new series being offered (admist ditching "Sabrina" and "The Weekenders" and admist reruns of "Buzz Lightyear", "Tarzan", and "Recess"); definitely not a contender. Presume UPN will be running shows from its CBS/Viacom/Nickelodeon corporate sibling come the fall of 2003...

-B.

4. czyznyck99

czyznyck99 Active Member

Stupid auto log-off... I had to do this all over again. :mad:

Anyway, I'll break it down time by time.

8 a.m. - I'm picking Yu-Gi-Oh.

8:30 - I'm not sure which show has a chance. If Recess makes new episodes, then I think Ultraman stands a good chance of winning.

9 - This one could get really ugly. Fox seems to be promoting Kirby a little more than their other shows, so it might be one of their best. Fillmore and JCA are both action shows, so it could come down to the better story. This one is where quality will count.

9:30 - Not that I'm not interested in these three shows, ok, I'm not. But I have to be fair here. If Ultimate Muscle doesn't sound as lame as I think it does, it might do well. Kids WB already struck the first blow in downgrading the show when it aired the surprisingly decent Mucha Lucha last weekend. Wrestling vs. Wrestling, again. Only question now is which show will be WCW, and which will be WWF.

10- Fox is already retreating to repeats, not a good sign, so I'll move ahead to the Turtles. Pokemania is down, but it still was the #1 Sat. morning show last year. While I personally will never forgive Fox for knocking off Spidey Unlimited after only three weeks of increasing ratings, I will complement them on making the move again to use another high-profile show to compete with Pokemon now, when it's a little vulnerable. Lizzie McGuire will cause problems in the households with brother and sister, but right now, I'm saying Pokemon will win a tough race. (Now let's hope Fox keeps THIS series, I'd hate to have to wait another year and a half).

10:30 - Action fans, you better hope that your family isn't up by this time, or you are going to get stuck watching the Proud Family. Like I said before, it's wrestling vs. wrestling. However, the logic goes in favor of Mucha Lucha, since Muscle will be in repeats soon enough (maybe March or April). You want comedy or action?

11 - This is probably where the new eps of Yu-gi-oh and Kirby are going to show up. A TV addict should realize that Kirby is the only show not on multiple days (KP Fri-Sun and Yu-Gi Mon-Sat). Another close one.

11:30 - Going with X-men, except the weekend of Forever Red.

12-1 Digimon should finally get its place in ratings hierarchy.

The Season overall - I think Kids WB will win, but not on the basis of its current schedule. The schedule above has some places that the other networks can grab, in particular Kim Possible, Power Rangers, Kirby, and Ninja Turtles. On the other hand, we know WB has another season of Static Shock, the Mummy, Cubix, and maybe even the Zeta Project somewhere. I don't know who is going to win this crazy race until around March, but at least I have a good reason to get up on Saturday morning again.

Personally, though, I'm only checking out X-men Evolution, Kim Possible, and Ninja Turtles. (One for each network, not bad).

Later.

5. R Chocolate

R Chocolate Member

I think 4-KIDS' FOX BOX will do well enough early on but come 2003 things will definitely heat up with TMNT. We're talking about Batman: Animated Series here if the show manages to get both older and younger audiences.
    As for KIDS WB, it's odd if Pokemon does get beaten in the ratings KIDS WB will drop it and 4-KIDS with FOX BOX now declared a success will pick it up for themselves since it is their property once KIDS WB doesn't want it any more.

6. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

Very interesting theory and an utterly brilliant example of back-handed competition:

Take your hottest show, put it up against one of their hot shows (which just happens to be your show), hope you do well enough with your show to make the ratings for their show (your show) go down. Then they cancel it, you swoop in and make your show your show.

Abbott and Costello would be proud.......

7. Vin

Vin DVDtoons.com

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Kids' WB! still remains #1 by the end of the 2003 season. I do, however, believe that ABC Kids and FOX Box will catch up ratings-wise, but I still think it's Kids' WB!'s game.

Honestly, Kids' WB! has learned to build upon hits. Half of its returning line-up are hit series. They have the strongest line-up coming in, really. Plus, they are making a new "Scooby-Doo" series, which even brings in ratings in 30 year old reruns. They have a great promotion vehicle in Cartoon Network. I can't really see them going wrong.

As for FOX Box, despite how much money they paid for advertising, they have no one show that is a guaranteed hit. Even "Ninja Turtles" will be new to this audience and there is no guarantee kids will watch. I hope they do, because I am looking forward to the series. Fox Box might find some success with "Kirby," but the rest are up in the air. Fox Box will still be relatively new. I give it another season or two before it catches on.

ABC Kids, despite gaining "Power Rangers," and "Digimon," will find only missed success. Both series are going to be airing later in the morning/early afternoon when less children are watching. "Kim Possible" and "The Proud Family," despite having exposure on Disney Channel, are still up in the air on broadcast television.

CBS will be airing Nick series and will probably find some minimal success. They are repeats of exisiting Nick series and I don't know how well they will draw ratings-wise. Plus there's the CBS News that interupts the block for two hours, which to me, makes no sense. Either air a four/five hour children's block, or just ditch it in favor of news.

8. JustJack

JustJack Just Odd

I'm a big Yu-Gi-Oh! fan now adays. But Stargate looks good. I think I'll stick with Yu-Gi-Oh! all season, and maybe tape Stargate if my parents will let me tape it on their VCR(they probably will). I say Yu-Gi-Oh! is the winner, but Stargate is in 2nd. As for Disney...it'll be left in the dust.

Ultraman Tiga for me, no question. When it comes to the Doo, I have two words to sum it up..."Scooby sucks"...period. As for Recess...... :rolleyes:

I LOOOOOOVE Jackie Chan. I'll tape Kirby on my parents VCR, with Stargate. But, GO JACKIE!

Ultimate Muscle 100%. That looks wacky-cool. And I'll tape Ozzy & Drix when I get the chance. I doubt it'll be that great without Bill Murray... :D

Ultraman Tiga. No other will even come close. And TMNT will get my viewership no matter what's on the other channels.

Ultimate Muscle....

HOLY FRICK! Yu-Gi-Oh! I love...Kim Possible is sooo great, and Kirby..well...it's KIRBY! Uhm...I'm gonna need a third VCR here....

X-Men. I can catch PR on ABC Family if it's worth watching at all.(The Red ranger episode WILL BE...but I'm so far unimpressed with Wild Force). Besides...X-Men rules...

9. R Chocolate

R Chocolate Member

You know SteveR, I never thought about that when I was writing about POKEMON and TMNT going head to head but it just seemed natural to say.
    Cause let's face it, TMNT is one of the most beloved animated shows ever and people get all weepy over seeing it when they were young. Back then cartoons were good, they say. While, who doesn't hate the evil money-grubbing no-good Pocket Monsters ? Cartoons because of Pokemon are bad nowadays.
    Alas, you have all missed the big picture here. Why would a company like 4-KIDS do a TMNT show ? To honor the great legacy of TMNT and it's fans by returning the Turtles back to their old Saturday morning hangout ? HECK NO!
    From Transformers to G.I. JOE to Pokemon to TMNT, it's all about the merchandising. Even a stellar example of animation such as Batman: Animated Series was done for the merchandising potential (along with riding the back of the hit 1989 movie).
    As even when something is done for just animation's sake either with style (The Powerpuff Girls or Ren & Stimpy) or vaudevile (Scooby Doo) it isn't long before it becomes commercialized to the point you begin to grow sick of the concept.
    What made TMNT get back into the groove ? The desire to do an animated show done closer to the comic book ? Nope. Nostalgia to capture the now grown-up fans of TMNT ? Nope.
    It's being done because those cartoons, 3 TMNT live-action movies, t-shirts, rock albums, videocassettes, toys made so much money back in the late 80's/early 90's the corporate suits got their brains in order. They began to think "Hey if some orange dinosaurs and a yellow mouse can making big bucks why not a ninja turtle ? Big bucks coming our way again!"
    Lo and behold, we have seen the return of He-Man and Transformers and that has returned not to please the fans but to get the fans buying brand new action figures to replace the old ones they had as kids! They got us when we were younger and now they're proving old age doesn't equal smarts.
    The 80's revival is nothing more than to cash in on the profitable merchandising cash spawned by Pokemon, Batman, Powerpuff Girls, Digimon, and pretty much any other cartoon you can mention that's on the air.
    Hey, it comes with the territory. It's always been like this and it always will be like this. God knows these cartoons were beloved when we were young and some of us still love them. Though this largely depends on whether or not it's nostalgia of how much we used to like it back then or because how much we like it now that we're older.
    Some of us can look at shows like Transformers and G.I. JOE and M.A.S.K. and SHE-RA and see no difference between the monster anime shows in how these are shows with no soul but just ways to get young'ins to buy toys. Oh, won't somebody please think of those poor innocent children!
    Others see Inspector Gadget and Scooby Doo and Care Bears now and wonder what was it that got us into this stuff since it ain't funny to us no more. It's one of the reasons that I'm curious to see how The Powerpuff Girls holds up over time and if Ren & Stimpy's new episodes can equal the greatness of earlier episodes like SPACE MADNESS.
    I apologize for going on with such a long-winded message like this but I just felt this needed to be said. I'm perfectly open to criticism and praise (yeah, like that'll happen!) of what I've said about the upcoming returns of such beloved favorites as He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Transformers.
    I'm trying to put these shows into current perspective of recent animated popular shows that are loathed such as Pokemon, Digimon, and to be honest, there ain't no difference. We all just grew up and realize Saturday Morning cartoons are mainly swill,
    all about selling the merchandise and getting the ratings.
    Now myself, I enjoy such animated shows and will continue to do so. I've long since stopped buying toys (still have my old Transformers collection) and haven't played any recent videogame or cardgame. I may no longer be in the mood to buy every piece of merchandise that has a cartoon character on it but I still enjoy that cartoon character's adventures.

10. JustJack

JustJack Just Odd

R Chocolate....sure, this grand 80's resurgence may be just another marketing ploy to make more and more millions...but think of it this way....

THEY'RE DOING IT RIGHT THIS TIME!

Ninja Turtles made an attempted return a few years back..it didn't sell well. He-Man tried to make a comeback in the early 90's, and it was nothing like the original. It didn't sell. G.I. Joe faded away for most of the 90's. Transformers has been a roller coaster ride that I think we all, for the most part, be happy to forget once 'Armada' hits.

Then they realized how to make that money...ACTUALLY PLEASE THE FANS. He-Man has returned in his original element, and with better sculpted toys. Fans are happy! And the money-grubbing corporate world is happy because we're buying it up again. Finally after so many years. Transformers is back to vehicles, and on Toonami, it'll be made for the more mature fans, and the original fans in mind, while keeping new fans in mind as well. So far, we're happy, and the corporate grubs are happy because Transformers are being bought up again. G.I. Joe vs. Cobra is an excelent toy line which keeps modern toy-techniques in mind, while keeping a classic look. Fans are happy, the companies are happy. TMNT, it's being made with the classic fans in mind for the new audience. And I just know that we're all going to be happy, as will the pockets that TMNT belongs to.

Sure, it IS just a big money-grubbing scheme. It's one big toy commercial...

But, I don't care. I'm frickin' happy! :cool:

11. R Chocolate

R Chocolate Member

That is what I said earlier on. I am happy to see such shows back and I am well aware of the earlier attempts to return TMNT, Transformers, and G.I. JOE back to their former glory. I know what I take of having seen the live-action TMNT TV and hated it with the exception of Shredder's redemption scene.
    As for HE-MAN in outer space it wasn't bad but not what it should be. I do I prefer these new animated shows and in the case of He-Man, I prefer the new show over the original 80's show. Plus something tells me I'll enjoy the new Scooby Doo show much more over the old show.
    I was just saying this 80's cartoon revival stuff ain't any better than the current animation we decry, that's all. I mean even if something like Pokemon or Digimon or Powerpuff Girls or what-have-you do peak in popularity and fade from public eye, the fanbase will go strong and sooner or later somebody will be doing a revival of that stuff, once disliked, now beloved.
    Of course, only time will tell as the saying goes.

12. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's an update on the fall lineup, from the Nick on CBS info posted on the Toonzone news page today. All of the broadcast networks who show Saturday morning cartoons begin their fall lineup on Saturday, September 14th. Since CBS has a weird scheduling pattern for Eastern and Pacific times, I have included a separate line for it. However, these times do definitely vary from area to area, and for any network, so be sure to check your local listings before Sept. 14 to find out the correct times for you.

Nick on CBS

7:00am ET/6:00am CT
    (No programming for Eastern Time Zone)
    Blue's Clues (Eastern Feed Only)

7:30am ET/6:30am
    (No programming for Eastern Time Zone)
    Dora the Explorer (Eastern Feed Only)

Yu-Gi-Oh!/Disney's Teamo Supremo/Stargate Infinity
    Hey Arnold! (Eastern Feed)/Blue's Clues (Pacific Feed)

The Wild Thornberrys (Eastern Feed)/Dora the Explorer (Pacific Feed)

(CBS News Saturday- Eastern Feed)/Hey Arnold! (Pacific Feed)

(CBS News Saturday- Eastern Feed)/The Wild Thornberrys (Pacific Feed)

(CBS News Saturday- Eastern & Pacific Feeds)

(CBS News Saturday- Eastern & Pacific Feeds)

As Told by Ginger (Eastern Feed)/(CBS News Saturday- Pacific Feed)

Pelswick (Eastern Feed)/(CBS News Saturday- Pacific Feed)

12:00pm ET/11:00am CT & PT
    ABC Kids: Power Rangers Wild Force (Digimon takes its place on Nov. 30)
    As Told by Ginger (Pacific Feed Only)

12:30pm/11:30am CT & PT
    ABC Kids: NBA Inside Stuff
    Pelswick (Pacific Feed Only)

The new Nick on CBS adds yet another challenge to the dominance of Kids' WB for the upcoming season. However, in this case, it remains to be seen if the new CBS lineup will actually hurt the Saturday morning ratings on Nickelodeon due to similar programming being aired on both networks (referred to as "cannibalization" in TV terms).

13. Brak

Brak Together...Together...TOG ETHER

8:00 am
    Yu Gi Oh I don't know any of the other shows on there so I chose Yu Gi Oh. Also because I happen to like Yu Gi Oh.

8:30 am
    I only know Recess out of those 3 shows. I would really like to know what that Ultraman Tiga thing is. But I choose Recess til I know what that Tiga thing is.

9:00 am
    KIRBY! Why? because HE RULES!

9:30 am
    I guess Recess again for the same reason I chose it last time

10:00 am
    Once again Ultraman Tiga. I must find out what that show is! Oh well i'll choose Pokemon I use to be a big fan....so I have no other choice

10:30 am
    Proud Family. I don't know those other shows...and I guess it's alright...

11:00 am
    Man that has to be like a 3 way tie. with Yu gi oh 3rd and Kim Possible and Kirby tied for first. They both rule! God hard choice...

11:30 am
    X-Men Evolution I guess. It's alright. I'd choose it over those other shows.

I say Fox will take the most ratings. Because they got the goods. Kirby, TMNT, this ultraman Tiga thing i want to find out more about. So yeah.