Your opinion on....Lorde

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Peter Paltridge, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

My opinion is....I don't get the appeal.

She's mainly getting attention for that "Royals" song they've been playing on the radio since last summer, and to be honest, when I first heard it, I assumed Rihanna did it. It didn't stand out to me over anything else.

2. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

It's amazing she has the voice she has at her age, but all the songs I've heard by her are pretty boring. She seems to solely focus on the "we're so great because we come from a small town and don't live the high life" angle, and she sounds bored when she sings.

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

She has a great voice, but she seems to fit a bit uncomfortably in the electro pop category. As if some agent decided she should do it because it'll be a hot thing, rather than it being the best fit for her talents. I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do when she matures as an artist and finds what works best for her as an individual.

Even if you don't like Royals, give Tennis Court a try. Shows a different side if her.

4. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, when I first saw her name, I thought they were talking about that GWAR knock-off who won Eurovision a few years ago. Part of me is still not convinced that they aren't.

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

The only Lorde song I have heard "Royals". I personally loved it. To me it is one of the best mainstream songs to come out recently. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to listen to more Lorde songs though. When it comes to current popular music, unless it shows up on my local adult contemporary station or on a Now That's What I Call Music CD, then I probably would never hear it.

6. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, her album, Pure Heroine is a pretty good debut for a pop album. Very minimal production and her singing fits it. I also like that she's willing to speak her mind and that she has a pretty eclectic taste when it comes to music she likes.

7. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 Active Member

I like her but her music is dull.

She has been blessed with an excellent singing voice especially for someone her age and I like the messages of her songs but her music is just boring. She's a breath of fresh air from all the other gawdy, up in your face, self-centered, materialistic, #YOLO artists but outside of the stories she tells, there's nothing that attracts me to listen to more of her music. I really want to like her but I'm going to have to wait for that next album...