Your Marvel Animation Memories

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Hey,

One of the things I like most about creating the various sites I've done for Marvel Animation Age is reminising about the shows back when I first watched them years ago. I've always found it interesting to compare the reactions to the stuff I watched back then to what I feel when I watch it now, or even just remember where I was when I first watched the show. I vividly remember my brother, my next door neighbour and watching Night Of The Lizard again seconds after we originally saw it and pausing the tape to see if we recognised any of the villains in the opening credits. Imagine my glee when I learned Mysterio, my favourite villain from the 60's series would be appearing in the show!

What about you? What stood out for you when you watched the shows way back when?

[​IMG]
    Image Appears Courtesy of Marvel Animation Age

2. S.C.B

S.C.B Too close.

The X-Men showing up in the 90s Spider-Man show. Back when I first saw that episode on Live & Kicking (ah, memories) I thought it was such an insanely cool concept that they had the same voices and (to a degree) designs. And they even used some of the X-Men background music!

The interaction is what made it, though. There was just something great about Spidey and Wolverine trading quips.

"You sure showed him."

"Shut up, you puny little geek!"

3. Arsenal

Arsenal Magneto was right

I was a fair weather X-Men fan when TAS debuted. I knew the heavies from trading cards and a fistfull of comics: Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops and the like.

But I had no idea who Jubilee, Morph or even Gambit were. I just assumed they were characters on the team I did not know. Consequently I was shocked when the Sentinels killed Morph.

I was the tender age of 7 (I think) when I first watched X:TAS, and I had never seen a cartoon off a white hat before. Now, in retrospect, Morph seemed marked as a casualty. He was a (relatively) original character in the pilot that everybody liked etc. He might as well had a gigantic target on his shirt (but that would be stealing Havok and Bullseye's pastiche).

But, as a 7-(or-so)-year-old, I was astounded, horrified and hooked.

4. Crow

Crow Active Member

The Venom saga in S-M:TAS, I knew I was in for something special and boy it was pure spun gold.

5. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

SpidermanTAS comes to mind first. And what follows is the order of what I remembered most between the shows' final airings on FOX in about 1998 when they stopped airing the reruns, and when they started (but eventually stopped) airing them on TOON DISNEY years later.

Dr. Octopus: Armed and Dangerous: Doc Ock's premier episode was my first exposure to him and his origin, and it was magnificent. The characters! Rheir interaction in every sense of the words (exchange of dialogue, exchange of blows) was spot on to each of them and really introduced me to them, especially Doc Ock. And being a youngster at the time, I didn't mind his interestingly colorful costume.

Night of the Lizard did the same thing, but what I remember most is the final confrontation in the sewer between the Lizard and Spiderman. It was truely something else, not just a guy chasing the superhero around using robot hand gloves so he can smash things like I saw on The Batman a week or two ago.

Venom and The Venom Saga had the same deal with me that Dock Ock and his premier episode did. To paraphrase, the most relentless and unforgiving opponent I've ever faced.

Next is the Neogenic Nightmare. I've never seen anything like that in a cartoon before, and it was incredible. It's what made me "grow up" in the fact that before this I never liked shows with episodes that had ongoing stories. What John Semper and crew did with The Man-Spider was truly killer.

Last but certainly NOT at all least in any way, was the Haunting of Mary Jane Watson! Technically, however, it wasn't just that episode. It was that whole "Where the heck did MJ go" arc, ever since her dissapearance in "Turning Point." I thought it was totally out there, and it had me hooked.

With X-MEN TAS my moments are scene-based and they all come from the second season, with the premier episode 2 parter being the first up. They did an incredible job with that show. And to be so strong with the comic background is beyond awesome.

6. ifthismeansevos

ifthismeansevos It's been a while.

Well I do remember the first time I sa<w all the last season of Spider-man TAS except the last three episodes I was shocked when all I saw was Spider-slayer.

As I told like a zillion times I wasn't a fervent X-men fan when TAS aired but I remember some images like Beast in the prison and Xavier and Magneto powerless in prison.
    My first episodes of Evo of course and when I saw Spider-man TNAS I was amazed with the CGI of course that was three years ago but they are still memories eh?

OH and how can I forget Amazing friends I remember them pretty good the first time I sawe then as a youngling and the reruns in 2002. oh and Iron-man and Spider woman wich aired weirdly in 2004. All good memories some of my childhood some of my youth.

7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My biggest Marvel animation memory is watching X-MEN: THE ANIMATED SERIES. I had just gotten into comics at the time, and X-MEN was a favorite of mine, so I was really jazzed that a cartoon was coming out so soon. I remember getting up extra early that Saturday morning to make sure I didn't miss the premiere. I watched it all the time until I eventually started losing track of when they were showing new episodes, and I never did see the last season. I hope they'll finally release season sets someday. I caught a few reruns on Family Channel back when the first movie came out, and it brought back memories and made me want to watch it again.

Unfortunately, I never got into any of the other Marvel cartoons, like FANTASTIC FOUR, IRON MAN, and especially SPIDER-MAN. But I have many fond memories of watching X-MEN on Saturday mornings with my brother.

8. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Active Member

i've pretty much watched 'em all, from the syndicated reruns of the 60's stuff up until now..

I was kinda confused at the late 70's FF 'toon that replaced the Torch with Herbie the robot (stupid optioning the Torch for film rights.. what could they have really done with a live-action Torch back then??!?!)

I was glad that Spidey was brought back as a toon in the 90's, and the X-Men finally got their own show.. by then i had started college, and the network-restrictions stuff just seemed glaringly obvious.. i didn't catch every episode, but they were generally enjoyable..

i only got around to watching certain episodes of x-men evolution.. i didn't care for the seemingly arbitrary "everybody's in high school except Logan & Storm" approach, but hey, they got several seasons out of it, so...

9. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

Same here. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know who Rogue or Beast were either. That toy series only had Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Archangel, Magneto, and Juggernaut. And then I knew Dazzler from the arcade game.

X-Men (and also Batman) really got me into the comics at the time. I collected the card series while watching the show. And it was great to see cameos of people I knew who eventually premiered on the show. The X-Factor episode was a favorite of mine because X-Factor was the fist X-comic I began reading (plus Iceman was in that episode). I was even thrilled to see Random on the show.

10. redlion

redlion Member

Some favorite memories for me was watching the old 60's Spiderman cartoon show when I was a kid. It was when I was first exposed to some of the Marvel stuff and I thought Spidey was such a cool superhero. I would lie down on the living room floor in front of the tv. and just geek out all Saturday morning watching cartoons. This was some of my most favorite times because there was no school and I had all day to myself and friends which we would all later get together and discuss Spiderman. I recently bought the 60's DVD set and I still got a kick out of watching those old Spidey toons and who could forget the coolest superhero theme song ever!

11. laactor101

laactor101 Member

watching the spider man show in the 90's one that pissed me off is the censors of the show but it was still good