"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 17 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah. But after "Salvage," his two derogatory 'meat' lines and his silhouette made me guess Brainiac... which I kinda hope is wrong. Then again he is known to experiment on people in the comics and then there was the shipment of teens in "Beneath."

2. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I'll be honest. It had not occurred to me until reading your post that Brainiac could be in this series.

That's for a reason because like you I would prefer not to see him. Same with Darkseid.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Agreed, I'd be more surprised if it wasn't them and it turned out to be someone else like Cyborg Superman.

4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I did the same for a moment, but I had to consider if Brainiac fits in the overall theme of the show with legacy. Sure Brainiac is kinda related to Superman, but not genetically. Now with thinking about Darkseid, I kept thinking who is his "team"/ legacy members. Kalibak is a given, but then on further research I found Devilance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devilance

5. Gimpyhair

Gimpyhair Member

I heard there were a Bloodlines preview yesterday but I missed it. Anyone have screencaps/video (unless it's illegal to ask) of the preview? I'm really excited about this episode.

6. horrorbusiness

I would agree with this except for the fact that he fired a sonic cannon exactly like Blue Beetles and they seem to be pushing a lot of Blue Beetle....

I am betting without question its a Reach affiliate

7. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I don't think it's Brainiac, if only because I never viewed him as the terribly physical type. He always seemed to me like the mastermind manipulating stuff behind the scenes, while the Partner actually seems to take matters into his own hands and get stuff done (like killing the Golem).

I still say it's either Black Beetle or a Reach agent.

8. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

Mt Justice Orphanarium

I was going to pitch a fit about how Supes is considered a "bad" parent for leaving SB at The Mt. Justice Orphanarium but Manhunter and Batman do it and its perfectly okay.

This answer bugs me in that we don't get to see it happen on TV and it leaves the impression that after Zatara made his heroic sacrifice and asked Bats to look after his only child. Bats decides that a famous female child is entirely too much hassle and just drive by dumps her at Mt Justice.

Frankly, having Zatanna live at stately Wayne Manor would be TOO much of a contiunity break. No way, Bats would want someone that potenially powerful living under his roof that he couldn't control completely. Plus all the old school Bruce/Zatanna shippers would accuse him of wife husbandry :sweat:. It does add more to the final scene of "Misplaced" where Robin hangs back after moving all Zatanna stuff into the windowless dungeon that is her room in Mt. Justice. I hope she still doesn't live there:sad:.

Wow, if she'd have moved in to stately Wayne Manor- she really would have completed the transformation into Dick's best childhood friend who's could be mistaken for his twin yet also never goes beyond friendship that Donna Troy does in the comics.

So basically what I'm seeing is that Red Tornado (John Smith) and Black Canary (Dinah Lance) still gave up their secret identities but not Bats. Cause unless you submit to living at stately Wayne Manor and his guardianship (control) he's not going to trust you.

9. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

It's not terribly relevant though. The incident with Zatanna happened relatively late into the season and the time skip has now made it a moot point anyway.

10. Gold Starz

Gold Starz "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"

Did you even read the thing you quoted?

11. quigonkenny

quigonkenny Active Member

I was about to say the same thing. Amazing how the Bat-hate clouds one's perceptions...

12. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

Did You Read What I Quoted

The quote from GW himself ends with John Smith and Dinah Lance revealed their secret identities. But did not say Bruce Wayne, does it? He offered it only if she lived with him, when she refused. The cowl stayed on. See Bats does not trust easily. Whether or not Robin/Nightwing told her in the last 5 years is up for debate.

I don't hate Batman at all. I am highly critical of his actions on Earth 16 though.

13. Gold Starz

Search a little harder next time.

14. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Yeah, it says he offered to reveal his identity and have her move in. She chose not to move in, and nowhere does it say that despite that Batman still revealed his ID.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm guessing you're talking about the mini-preview during the credits sequence after "Beneath"? Here they are: It's of Flash fighting someone. My first inclination was to guess Warp based on the design but he's definitely that yellow guy we saw in a preview before but with armor on. EDIT: Lonewolf36 has a great guess: Manfred Mota aka Atom Smasher aka Professor Fallout aka Fushionn
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The previous shot I'm referring to: [​IMG]

I agree with the sentiment and given the past "who is it" arcs such as the 'mystery' of who Artemis was a simple guess of Artemis Crock, I'm still thinking Brainiac. Where I'm coming if that some of his M.O.'s is theft and an extensive knowledge of various alien technologies. I think there's sliver a chance the sonic cannon was both a red herring and an implication Brainiac may have encountered one or two of the Reach, killed 'em, and assimilated its technology into its database. While he observed the Appellaxian Golem, he could have easily run a scan and assessed its elemental weaknesses then once it appeared the Golem might side with the Team, he formed a sonic cannon and fired at a fatal setting to the Golem. But thinking of those kidnapped teens, let's hope it ain't the post Crisis version who needed cranial fluid to survive while possessing a body.

16. quigonkenny

quigonkenny Active Member

You're overthinking it. The Krolos identified Beetle as a "Competitor Warrior" in "Alienated", the same episode where Savage referred to their new partner as "the Kroloteans' competitor". That choice of words can only be intentional. Combine that with Beetle's uptick in importance since the first few episodes and Partner's clear usage of Reach technology... It's one thing to send the viewers scurrying off after red herrings. It's something else entirely to effectively lie to them. To have it be Brainiac, with nary a hint of his involvement, in a situation clearly set up to be Earth versus various alien races (old Diode Head is nothing if not a loner), would just be bad writing. Machina ex machina, if you will...

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Probably, lol. As I implied here or another thread, I don't want it either. Given it is the Reach, this Partner is probably an Enforcer whose AI is in complete control of the host - accounting for why it referred to humans as "meat." Sonic cannon is self-explanatory. Why he wants the teens? Probably to implant them with more Scarabs and build up their Infiltrator forces, once that's done - the Reach launches a full invasion of Earth? Though the bigger question is why is the Light allied with them? Or why would the Reach care to ally with them in the first place? It's not their M.O. to form alliances, I think. What bargaining chip does the Light have to broker an 'immunity' deal or whatever it is from the Reach? How would it tie into Vandal Savage's looney evolution speech last season? Okay, that was more than one bigger question. :sweat:

18. Gimpyhair

Gimpyhair Member

Thanks, that's what I was talking about. I'm excited, it's always great to see some Flash action!

19. Gold Starz

Except if he offered to than it was her own choice of whether she found out or not.

20. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't get the hyper-parsing as regards Zatanna and Batman; he offered pretty much everything he had to give her a home, she declined, probably from not wanting to be submerged in a new "family" for fear of emotionally displacing/forgetting Zatara and his sacrifice, and Batman respected her wishes. She took up residence in the cave under the nominal guidance of Black Canary and Red Tornado, and more passively, Batman. Why is that a matter for castigation, as if Bats did something wrong? Yeesh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.