"X-Universe" Movie News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm glad we now have some definitive dates but I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to the X-movies jumping back into Dark Phoenix again after Apocalypse :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. the greenman

Well, they are hiding the director of "Dark Phoenix" so well, you'd almost think they don't have one.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Is 2018 the first time FOX has had three X-Men CBMs in one year? Wow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty odd time to announce it. I figured they were waiting until Comic Con unless they learned something was about to leak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Well we're still going 13 months without an X Men movie.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm excited to know those release dates (finally after Logan released over a month ago), but three movies in one year? If nothing gets delayed, we'll be at nine movies for 2018 which worries me because people have already been saying they're tired of superhero movies and would like the old days of 1-4 movies a year, essentially.

If anything, X-Men: Dark Phoenix could be delayed to 2019 since it really doesn't seem to be as far into development as the others. I hope my concern doesn't hide my excitement too much. I really am happy to see these dates. I just hope 2018 doesn't feel overloaded. 2016 and this year will really test how many superhero movies the audience wants. The DCEU taking a bit of a break helps.

I do miss superhero movies releasing in June, which seems to be the only summer month that doesn't get superhero movies much any more. I think X-Men: First Class in 2011 was the last time for a superhero movie to release in June. Meanwhile August has become a popular month thanks to the Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm glad Wonder Woman and Deadpool 2 will be bringing it back.

My concerns aside (I don't want to be a downer), I hope all three of these movies are really good! Besides Apocalypse, Fox has been on a roll with these movies since First Class and especially Deadpool and Logan.

• Like Like x 2
  9. the greenman

It would be wise to push "X-Men: Dark Phoenix" back to 2019. Unless they plan on X-Force for early 2019.

We have:

Captain Marvel March 8, 2019
    Untitled Avengers film May 3, 2019
    Spider-Man: Homecoming 2
    July 5, 2019
    SHAZAM April 5, 2019
    Supposedly The Batman in 2019

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Yeah and seems like they're trying to crack down on popular/trying to be popular dates as well. Mid April is when Fast and the Furious has done quite well, early June is where Wonder Woman is hoping to make a splash this year, same with early November with Thor Ragnarok. It will remain to be seen if these pan out though. Though obviously FOX is hoping that upping to three will get them out of the third place they come in regarding the super hero game with Marvel first and now DC second based on how last year panned out. Obviously FOX is going to take third place this year (unless all the Marvel/DC movies totally bomb) but I'm sure are hoping for at least second next and unless Aquaman is the highest selling super hero movie of all time pretty sure they'll have second locked up at least.

Technically as Apocalypse was in May 2016, that's 11 months not 13. Thirteen would be June 2017. Also again I'm pretty sure the Fox contract states that the need to still have an X movie every few years so not surpirsed that Dark Phoenix is getting that title. I do wonder why New Mutants isn't as well since it's not like they're more popular characters then regular X-Men (Wolverine and Deadpool are more generally popular characters then regular X-Men) but guess we'll see more on that when we find out what exact continuity that movie takes place in.

Superhero movies are still big business so until profits start going down significantlly across the board I don't see the amount going down. Furthermore unless the movies are mostly the same i don't really mind the amount we're getting. To me personally complaining about 9 super hero movies is like compaining there are like a dozen kids CG flicks coming out per year: Some are going to be better then others but if all are offering unique things worth checking out I don't personally mind viewing all of them.

Well the DCEU isn't intentionally taking a break. Talks broke down for Flash and obvious there's a lot of talk of restructuring their remaining films that produced this kind of lag in them. Something FOX is trying to take advantage of as yeah originally Flash and Aquaman were Spring/Summer releases with Flash now TBA if at all and Aquaman Winter. It does seem they're fast tracking Dark Phoenix which until now hasn't gotten much of a push but since that is the X-Men movie of this set it does still have to come out either next year or the year after so I can't see them sitting on it too long. Also since Phoenix will likely be a Jean Grey focused movie sure Fox Marvel wants to get out their female super hero comic book movie before the main MCU does.

Actually the last was in 2013 as that's when Man of Steel dropped and was the biggest June release until Jurassic World took that tiltle two years later.

Honestly as all three are being worked on by different teams with some overlap (though not as much as say the MCU set of films) they should all turn out good.

Plus this will be the first pure examples of the X-Men films working in a post Wolverine setting. Which obviously DP doesn't need but I do hope New mutants and Dark Phoenix get the push they need to be successful from how well the stories and situations work in those.

• Like Like x 2
    #410 Neo Ultra Mike, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  11. the greenman

Well, first off November has been a proven ground for Fantasy/Science Fiction going back to Harry Potter, LotR, as recent as Dr. Strange and Arrival. So I don't take it as FOX is trying to lock on a trend per se. Even if so, nothing wrong with that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Magmaster12

I am referring to the gap between Logan and New Mutants.

13. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

It's almost movie overload... You've got Star Wars spinoffs, MCU, these X-Men films, Pixar's Incredibles sequel a few weeks after Deadpool, plus all the other movies people are making (not to mention Disney's stupid remakes of everything they've ever made)...

14. the greenman

4/30: Timely enough as some of us are discussing him in the "X-Men: Dark Phoenix" thread:

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/liev-schreiber-logan-chuck-1202403245/

5/18: Mangold has discussed X-23 with FOX:
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...-with-fox-about-x-23s-next-appearance-a151217

• Like Like x 1
    #414 the greenman, May 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So FOX has set dates for six (yes, six!) untitled CBMs.

• June 7, 2019
    • November 22, 2019
    • March 13, 2020
    • June 26, 2020
    • October 2, 2020
    • March 5, 2021

If Dark Phoenix is the start of a new trilogy, maybe we can assume that two of these are sequels. Meanwhile, Deadpool 3 and X-Force are likely candidates.

Let the speculation begin. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Magmaster12

My guess

X-Force
    ???
    Deadpool 3
    Main X-Men movie
    Gambit
    Fantastic Four :evil:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

If they're all just X-properties:

Dark Phoenix Sequel
    X-23
    Gambit
    X-Force
    Deadpool 3
    Alpha Flight

• Like Like x 2
  19. the greenman

Yeah, Dark Phoenix sequel, Deadpool 3, and X-Force are all eligible. Personally wouldn't mind seeing a New Mutants sequel lead into X-Force like in the comics.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

One or two are probably set for the flagship X-Men movies after Dark Phoenix :).

Deadpool 2 is likely going to set things up for X-Force so that might be a lock. And I bet they're probably planning for Deadpool 3 to happen as well ;).

There's been rumblings that Mangold and Fox are talking about an X-23 movie, so that might have a set date if they're really serious about it :cool:.

New Mutants is probably too early for Fox to really gauge the need or demand for a sequel so I doubt there's a New Mutants 2 in there :sweat:.

I'm going to laugh if one of those dates is supposed to be the Gambit solo or next FF film :p.

• Agree Agree x 1