"X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)" Pre-Release News & Discussion Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

It's hard to introduce Psylocke in a movie like that and not address two major factors that make her the character what she was in her most famous version:

1. The background as Betsy Braddock, sister of Captain Britain.
    2. Having her body (and mind partially) to be swapped to a Japanese Ninja.

The movie probably don't address either factor and will make the character way more shallow than the comics counterpart.

2. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Well....its not off to a good start critically. Its already sitting at a 57% and dropping and were still two weeks out.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I didn't mean the comics, just the films. The comics do fine, but then, they have more time to develop all the characters. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

They should have stayed with the OT cast they might have a bigger Boxoffice with them.

5. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I don't know Fox and WB are hesitant to follow the Marvel model. No reason why Wolverine has had the only solo or even small team films after 16 years. The key to doing big event films is to establish the characters ahead of time. Maybe Deadpool and Gambit will be the start of something new. I'd love to see Storm, Cyclops/Jean Grey, Colossus/Magik, and a team featuring Nightcrawler, Jubilee, and a few others in their own movies before another event film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Member

I think the marginal reception to the Wolverine stand alone films is the reason why Fox is hesitant to follow up with other characters in their own movies. If they couldn't get Wolverine right (Their biggest star), what are the chances that a solo Gambit movie will be a hit?

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Didn't hit me until I saw this article, but the Weapon X scenes in this movie are pretty much a nod to the finale in X-Men Origins Wolverine (which is an AU story of the old canon) which was also in the 80s. So even after DOFP and the new canon took over and yet Wolverine and bunch of young mutants still end up prisoners of Stryker and his Weapon X program in the 1980s -- and the facility presumably still gets trashed. heh.

Also, soundtrack listing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure that movie deserves a shout-out, especially when that sequence is basically going to be Singer doing what he feels should've been done with Weapon X, but I guess it's still neat ;).

And I guess if Deadpool can give it a shout-out, why not Apocalypse :p?

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, sort of like with the animated DC movies post War, it was fun to see some similarities and differences with how parallel events in Flashpoint Paradox unfolded -- same here, fun to notice revisits to the old timeline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

It was released here in the UK today, so I've just come back. I thought it was very good - not quite as good as Days of Future Past or The Wolverine, but my issues with it were minor, and I thought it was highly enjoyable. I've not read any reviews to see what the critics are bashing it for, but this X-Men fan enjoyed it.

Stay for the end credits, as always. I saw what I hoped for!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Glad to hear your opinion. I'm still anticipating it and being optimistic.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

13. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

That Jubilee spot was spot on. I'm looking forward to this.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice Stan cameo.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I'm sold ;).

Gotta love all those 80's effects and the "state of the art" computers :p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I saw the film yesterday. It was very good overall but I do have some gripes, like the fact that it tried to cram way too much in, short-changing a number of characters as a result. X-Men films are supposed to be ensemble pieces, yes, but I found the lack of development for a few characters frustrating. Major spoilers follow (James Harvey has said that it's fine for me to post this):

I have to say that we could have probably been spared the Stryker/Weapon X scenes as they didn't really serve the main story besides explaining the 'war plane' and the costumes (and obviously setting up Wolverine). I was also very disappointed in the portrayals of Angel and Psylocke as one-dimensional baddies - I didn't expect the film to explore their backgrounds, but that doesn't redeem its treatment of them. And if Angel is dead already (he seemed to be in one piece after the crash/explosion though?), then that's just an awful way to treat one of the founding X-Men from the comics. So yeah, I didn't feel that everyone was shown the respect they deserved, sadly, and it's hard to overlook that. Another big issue I have with the film is Jean's use of the Phoenix force at such a young age - there's hardly any set-up for that. And honestly, why bother training the X-Men at the end when they've already defeated their most powerful enemy...? Though I suppose they won't always have Magneto and the Phoenix force to help them against particularly hostile humans and mutants.

On the bright side, the action and special effects were undeniably spectacular and the opening scene was just stunning. I also enjoyed Storm and Magneto's stories (even though the former had very little time to get her personality across). Oscar Isaac was terrific as Apocalypse (though of course I would have preferred a taller Big A with more of a booming voice), and his omnipotence was well-explained.

#216 ShadowStar, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  17. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

It was released here in Brazil as well. I liked the movie. For me it was better than Days of Future Past (which I though was good on the future, but weaker in the past storyline). It was one of the best X-Men movies of all time.

I think the critics are too harsh on this movie. It doesn't deserve the Rotten Tomatoes score that it received.

The movie has a lot of characters, but I think the most important ones are treated well. Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Nightcrawler are given time to shine and they work very well. I'm looking forward to see future sequels with this new team of X-Men.

18. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The talkback for X-Men: Apocalypse will go live tonight at 10pm (ET) as a result of the early showings.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Singer talks cut scenes. And we won't see
    Jubilee use her powers in the movie unfortunately.
    Kind of lame...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.