Would "Injustice: Gods Among Us" Make A Good Direct-To-Video Animated Feature?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 16, 2013.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The new DC Comics-based fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us is now available on all major consoles. The story is simple - what if our greatest heroes became our greatest threat? Do you think the plot for this video game would make for the basis of a good direct-to-video animated feature? Why or why not? Who would you cast? What changes would you make to the story, the characters, the designs, etc.?

Would Injustice: Gods Among Us make a good direct-to-video animated feature?

Also, if you want to discuss the new video game, please discuss it in the Injustice: Gods Among Us video game talkback thread.

[​IMG]
    Read the The World's Finest review of "Injustice: Gods Among Us"

2. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I'm going to say "no," mainly because I feel like the first 13 Injustice issues felt like they heavily borrowed from pre-existing DC stories, such as Kingdom Come and Red Son, and even some DCAU stories like "Brave New Metropolis" and "A Better World." Also, throughout the most part, I feel like those aforementioned pre-existing stories were better.

3. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I don't think it would fit the fold of a seventy-five minute film, although I do think it would make for an excellent dramatization. A thirteen episode series or lengthy film to set up and develop the cast and the paths they go down would be good. Frankly, I'd just love to see more of Happy Dad Superman and Just Plain Evil Joker.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Everything I've read about the backstory to Injustice, and especially this, suggests to me it's dangerously close to an unintentional self-parody of "grimdark" storylines in comic books (and boy, is the fridging trope ever fierce here). So yeah, to put it nicely, no thanks, I would not go out of my way to see this even for free. Every bit of potential in this story and the subject matter of heroes threatening the world they would protect was realized in Kingdom Come, which I would love to see even if it's totally impossible to recapture Alex Ross' stupendous art style in 2D.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about the game, but the comic sounds interesting, so I'd watch it. And I'm a sucker for stories with a large cast.

Of course, a film probably couldn't cover everything, so they'd have to be careful which parts they adapt.

6. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

The story feels like a repetitive re-thread of many of the stories listed above, only with the violence and shock factor turned way high in a misguided attempt to make it "grim and edgy".

Not to mention at times it feels like badly-written fan-fiction, specially over a certain character's storyline.

7. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Yeah pretty much this. The story of Injustice is terrible and what they did to Lois was cringe inducing. I don't know why anyone would want to see it animated.

We've already had 'A Better World' and 'Crisis on Two Earths' for animated superheroes being evil and taking over the world, do we really need a badly done version of that?

8. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

We've been down the "superheroes become the bad guys" route in the DCU far too many times. How about some new material for a change instead of beating that dead horse more?

9. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I think it would make a good one. I think the comic is very well-done from what I've read and Superman's motivations are effective. But it's sort of an Elseworlds-type story and I'm really not such a fan of those. I'd rather see DCU animated features that focus on recognizable versions of the characters.

10. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Or at least make BATMAN be the one that goes bonkers and becomes a dictator? Making Superman evil has become so tired and cliche, and this is coming from a huge Batman fanboy.

11. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

I prefer DCU Online, with great roles for Lex Luthor Ray Palmer and the Justice League.

12. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

So, has anyone here actually played the game? Because I bought it yesterday, & I've been loving the story so far. NetherRealm did a pretty good job of getting most of the characters personalities right. I don't think it'd exactly work as a DTV though without radical changes.

13. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

14. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Agreed. Given how much fans and some creators like to make Batman the most powerful and dangerous part of the DCU I'd like to see a story where he goes rogue and tries to become a totalitarian dictator of Earth. It fits better than Superman since this was the guy making killer satellites to destroy the Justice League.

They’ve only really done that in Brave and the Bold I think and it was the regular Batman that had to defeat his evil double. The rest of the heroes got captured by him because “he’s Batman.”

15. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

So, have the people complaining about this story actually read the comic or played the game?
    Because the complaints are really generic, and I feel like this story handles the subject matter in a really good way.
    And I personally don't think it's like Kingdom Come at all.
    It's similar to "A Better World" and "Brave New Metropolis", but way way more in-depth and far better.

I was actually thinking just yesterday, that I'd love to see this game (and the prequel story) adapted into a two-part film or mini-series.

16. Shawn Hopkins

I've read the comic up to the most recent issue, and I do think that, though it's not the most original idea in the world, it is well-done. It goes more into detail about how things fall apart, who sides with Superman and why. Some of the sides people choose might be surprising. And no one is presented as black and white evil or crazy, like say in Civil War, there's just a difference of opinion. There's a good scene in one issue where Nightwing, who is on Batman's side out of loyalty to Batman, explains the reasoning and attraction behind Superman's side to Batman. It's an interesting role-reversal where Superman becomes the cold-eyed pragmatist (for very convincing reasons) and Batman clings to idealism.

17. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I couldn't agree more.
    I also like the bit where Superman has his argument/confrontation in the Batcave with Batman. Nice bit of lecturing on his part. Though, I never like it when anyone is rude toward Alfred.

18. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I don't agree it's well done, though that hasn't stopped me from reading it weekly...

I think the book really hammers you over the head about who's right and who's wrong. I mean, think back to the JL episode "A Better World" in which Justice Lords Green Lantern and Hawkgirl, who were very obviously among the bad guys, force a bunch of peaceful protesters to go home. Well...

Something very similar happens in issue #13 (I think). A bunch of peaceful protesters in Australia demonstrated to disapprove of what the "heroes" were doing. So what do Injustice Superman and Wonder Woman do? Create a meaningful discussion with them? +/- analysis? Nope, they just tell the peace protesters to go home or else. Kind of hard for me to be sympathetic with that side, just like the analogous scene in "A Better World" helped the audience dislike the Lords.

As for the Nightwing/Batman exchange described above, I think it only touched the tip of the iceberg of what needed to be laid out. The story drops hints that there might be some good to what the Injustice heroes are doing, but it feels more like lip service just to create an illusion that all of the heroes are flawed in this strange universe and that it's supposedly not so obvious who's right and who's wrong. I'll have to re-read the issue, but as far as I recall, Nightwing doesn't even explain why the opposing side might at all be justified; I think he just alludes to it, and writer Taylor hopes we but it. So far, issues #1-14 are failing in that regard (and yet, I'm going to read #15 next week, haha). Injustice Superman feels a lot like Justice Lord Superman, Injustice Wonder Woman feels like Lord Wonder Woman, and Injustice Batman feels like Lord Batman, after being convinced by Justice League Batman to abandon the Lords' cause.

EDIT: With that in mind, the latest issue of Justice League by Geoff Johns has some parallels to Injustice, so in that regard, I might be more interested in seeing a Trinity War movie.

19. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I wouldn't say that's any more heavy-handed than the entire premise of the book one would know before flipping past the cover: superpowered individual decides to take over the world because he screwed up in the past. That's already a pretty big leap of indulgence one has to take.

20. Shawn Hopkins

So I just finished the game, and that tied it all together really well. Superman does go (slight spoiler for the game)

a lot more overtly cray cray in the game, though, you still understand why he feels the way he does, but whatever subtlety was in the comic book gets thrown out the window.
    Still, I think a combination of the story in the comic and in the game, with some adjustments, would make a good DTV. Although, it has to be said, the game is already pretty much a DTV itself. There's at least 90 minutes of well-done, voiced by pros cutscenes in the story mode of the game, the only thing is you control the fights yourself and there's a little bit of artifice involved to reuse the games arenas and characters.