"Wonder Park" Pre-Release News & Discussion

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by PinkiePie97, Jul 9, 2018.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wonder Park is an upcoming feature film set for release on March 15, 2019, and a show based on the movie will premiere on Nick later in 2019. The movie is about a girl named June, who, with her animal friends, tries to reconstruct an abandoned amusement park and bring it back to life. Paramount released a teaser today.

2. Vaughn Max

Vaughn Max Well-Known Member

This doesn't look that interesting to me, but I'll probably watch the film and maybe an episode or two to see if my opinion changes

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

3. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Trailer doesn't really offer a whole lot, we don't really know what the film is suppose to be about or who these characters are, but the animation looks nice.

4. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Ain't it a bit early to have a show based on it? I mean this movie could flop hard and then what?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Wow...Nick hasn't made an original animated feature since what, Jimmy Neutron? Barnyard?

The animal designs look kinda generic (especially the porcupine who gives me Open Season vibes) and the animation has a slightly outdated quality to it but the movie looks like it could be a winner if it plays its cards right.

6. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

(sigh) I was interested until I saw the PG rating...

I will however say that I do hope it's the genuine article. After all, there's a reason why the trope is called "Never Trust a Trailer"...

In any case, as it stands, I think we have another movie that's been given the wrong rating (IMO)...

7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It has an MPAA rating, so this film must be done or close to done. Wonder why they're waiting until March to release it?

It's a somewhat common practice to develop TV shows based on a movie currently in production. Nickelodeon's done it before with Jimmy Neutron and Barnyard. Disney did it in the past with Hercules, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Lilo & Stitch. And DreamWorks have been doing it recently with Turbo, Trolls, and Boss Baby.

If the film flops, they'll either try to make the TV show stand on it's own, or try to get Netflix is pick it up so they can recoup the costs for making the show.

They made Rango in 2011.

8. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Man! How did I forget Rango? I have that on DVD, too. :p

Unlike Jimmy Neutron or Barnyard, Rango never got a TV adaptation though.

9. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Avid BCG follower

After seeing the entire trailer, it had some amazing effects, but it felt more like a Disney film than any film made by Paramount period.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

10. RainbowCupcake

I don't think the trailer looks that bad (although I certainly hate that song they used). In fact, I find the concept alone to be interesting, especially for someone that likes amuesment parks. I also think the background designs look stunning.

However, I do have some doubts about this. I agree with others that the character designs look a bit generic. I also don't like the fact that there are talking animals in this, as I don't see an obvious reason for them to be here. Every children's film doesn't need cute, talking animals! Plus, the film itself has gone through some production issues, like firing the director in January of this year...

I'm praying that this will be good, but I'm just not sure.

Exactly. Jimmy Neutron was a hit, but I don't remember Back at the Barnyard being huge. It's a gamble Nickelodeon has apparently decided to take.

11. ToonsJazzLover

ToonsJazzLover Active Member

This could means a new hope for Paramount Pictures, in which they can produce an animated film yearly.

12. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

And don't forget, Jimmy. Neutron was meant to be a series originally before Nick liked it so much they decided to start it as a movie. So they where already willing to take that chance, Barnyard was mostly just seen as "average" and the series was one long "WTF" moment imo.

Making a gamble that this movie will do well enough that it warrants a series is a big risk for Nick, but I guess with the popularity of their current crop of shows they are feeling a little cocky? I mean the Loud House has been a huge hit (aside from a few bumbs) and they have been milking The Sponge for almost 20 years, I guess they feel it's a chance worth taking?

But turning to the movie itself, it just seems "average" to me, it will prolly come and go, maybe get a low-quality direct-to-dvd sequel. But to be honest, I'm sick of CGI animated movies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Got a lot of whimsy, but in terms of substance it doesn’t seem like much. Maybe a second trailer will offer more in terms of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. D-nice is the man.

The Director of the Film is David Feiss, a.k.a. the creator of Cow and Chicken.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I’ve heard rumors, but it looks true.
    Hopefully his brand of humor shines through, because his visuals sure don’t.

16. Anti-Hero 69

Anti-Hero 69 Member

You gotta copy what makes the money, tho, since disney may or may not end up controlling half the box office.

I find it interesting how Nickelodeon isn't even credited in the trailer.

Mod Note: Double Post merged, please edit your reply if you have more to say when no one has responded.

#16 Anti-Hero 69, Jul 12, 2018 at 12:07 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018 at 12:42 AM
  17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I see why it doesn’t look like something David Feiss would make; he’s a replacement director. Meaning he’s basically there to finish up someone else’s work, and was probably too late to add his brand of humor. A shame.