Will we break away from the current "Big 3" companies anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by wonderfly, Feb 10, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Back in the 80's and 90's, we had several companies attempting to break into the game console market. Since 2001, with the collapse of the Sega Dreamcast, we've only had three: XBox, Playstation, and Nintendo.

With the "Nintendo Switch" coming out soon, is this the start of a new wave of consoles, with XBox and Playstation to follow within the next couple years?

And if so, will we ever see a different company rise up to offer an alternative to the "Big 3"? A new "Sega" or "Atari"? Or can we expect 10 to 20 years from now to still be dealing with versions of the "Big 3" (perhaps the "Playstation 10" and the "X-Box 5,000")...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm not sure if we should see an alternative to 'the big three'. With the increase of mobile titles, I think the game market might be harder to add a new console making company.

I don't necessarily expect the gaming market to be the same in the next 20 years. Console gaming could disappear in place of PC gaming for your AAA titles and mobile games for your handheld alternatives. It's really up in the air in my opinion as time goes by.

I'm sure the Switch will start the ninth generation of gaming, but I don't think Sony or Microsoft are in a rush to join Nintendo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Well, there's Valve's Steam Machine and the Nvidia Shield. Along with handheld and mobile. Plus the upcoming generation of consoles is rumored (for good reason) to be the last. So while perhaps there won't be another manufacturer, the market will definitely change.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

If you mean system wise, there is a rise of mobile gaming especially since Nintendo is even venturing into the market. I don't know if that means there will be enough confidence spread around for others to push the big three out of the way, so to speak...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Okay, I guess I don't get what these things are all about (and I've been hearing more and more about them). Are they like...computer harddrives specifically designed for gaming that you can hook up to your TV? Or to your computer?

If it's to be hooked up to your TV, then....what separates it from PS4 or XBox or Nintendo? If it's to be hooked up to your computer then what separates it from just another desktop computer designed for gaming?

What I was talking about when I formed this topic was a more traditional concept, like will "Valve" or "Nvidia" ever have a section devoted to their games in my local GameStop store? That signals "A gaming company has made it mainstream, and now they have advertisements for their games on my TV, etc"....something like that.

#5 wonderfly, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's an actual device you buy and hook up to your TV, but in essence it's like a mini computer. Basically an extension of Steam's "Big Picture" mode (if they still call it that).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

i look at it the same way as the "big 3" kids channels (disney channel, cartoon network, & nickelodeon) and the "big 3" broadcast channels (NBC, ABC, FOX)

until something comes out that surpasses mario, zelda, pokémon, halo, etc we won't be breaking away from the "big 3" developers/console manufacturers anytime soon!

people want the popular long-running franchises

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Cunning Condor

Cunning Condor Unfriendly Cartoonist

The gaming industry is in an uncomfortable position. Whereas movies can be played on any DVD/Blu Ray player, regardless of the company that made it, gaming seems to be built around exclusivity. Given how games are surfacing to the mainstream media these days, this is a bubble.

I'd hope to see a universal gaming console in future, but with Nintendo's insistence on being unique in their designs (which seems to be destroying them lately) this is a major complication in that vision.

I think what game companies don;t seem to understand is that gamers just want to play fun games. Hardware and all that doesn't matter to the vast majority. 4k Res, 60fps, DLC, all this fancy schmancy stuff is unnecessary. We just wanna spend money on games, pending they're fun.

I didn't buy a PS4 because of it's touch pad interface (tho that is quite nifty), or it's engine capabilities. I bought it cuz I want me some damn Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank.

As for new companies emerging in the console scene, Ouya perfectly exemplified how that can be a massive failure. Regardless of their business practices, the big 3 are indeed big. And in order to financially compete with them, you may find yourself resorting to their tactics, which'll likely do you in.