Will Warner Archive ever release DVD's of these 1990's-2000's Warner Bros. cartoons?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by dth1971, Mar 9, 2015.

1. BetterOurFuture

BetterOurFuture New Member

I'm inclined to agree here. And I confess that brand my favorite. They do take up a good chunk of what WB releases of Animation each year. If there wasn't demand I can't imagine them getting so much. Especially when the Looney Tunes, later WB shows and Pre-Adventure Time Cartoon Network originals are so much less released. We can't really sit here and say "surely there's more demand for the ones they barely touch than the ones they release multiples of per year" now can we? That would be like suicidal business in an already dwindling market.

DC Animation is seemingly in a bubble he doesn't mention there. They finished out all the Super Friends sets a year or so ago. The it looked like they would do the same for Filmation. But we've seen no release for Superboy yet. Then there's also the other two back up Plastic Man segments Ruby Spears made. Besides that some of the DCAU and laters aren't out yet. Not sure if there's a lack of interest there, dtv DC stuff seems to be doing fine enough to keep making and promoting. So maybe they'll get some more attention soon.

But on that note, regardless of liking which brand, it's not hard to see which two are getting the most attention from the home video divisions. It suits me just fine, but I suppose if I favored the brands not looking so good, I may not be paying much attention to the releases either.

2. Kirben

Kirben Member

Warner Archive's treatment of cartoon series from the 1990s and 2000s is terrible, with only a very limited range of cartoon series released on non-standard DVD-R (due to added CSS-MR copy protection). This DVD-R format has too many disadvantages, and is far too risky for any international buyers in particular, due to the hassle of returns. I don't think any cartoon series from the 1990s or 2000s has been even initially released on pressed discs, unlike the earlier cartoon series from Hanna-Barbera.

I would prefer limited runs of a few thousand of each cartoon series, with a little more effort (decent DVD menus), on pressed discs. Like the way Twilight Time handles many of their releases.

The worse part is there is no way to see many of these cartoon from the 1990s and 2000s, they aren't even available via digital formats. Also many of the cartoon series from the 2000s were actually produced for widescreen, but there is still no way to see the widescreen versions. The widescreen version of the original Ben 10 series was only recently added to iTunes for example, and there is no way to get the widescreen version on any physical media.

#22 Kirben, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. BetterOurFuture

BetterOurFuture New Member

To be quite honest, I find that behavior now seems like nothing but fear-mongering. When it started I bought into the fear, now I look back at myself as being stupid for believing it. I mean full offense why I say I trust the studios themselves, NIST and the impartial blogs who did their own accidental studies then i do the people proclaiming the doom of dvd-r on sites like dvdtalk and HTF.

I also have major future concern about people that cheer on these third party sellers. They may be happy right now, but I don't really think they'll last once the transition moves forward. In the end it's mostly going to make discs look like snobbish collectors items if they are seen as the "future". Besides if they were willing to sell rights off in the first place, how much confidence does that even give the owners to make it available digitally or streaming? Probably not much