Will Archie comics go bankrupt sometime in 2018?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by dth1971, Jan 26, 2018.

1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Sep 19, 2003
    What are the odds that Archie comics could go bankrupt/file for bankruptcy sometime in 2018 and have the chance for the bankrupt Archie assets to be acquired by IDW or DC Comics or Marvel Comics?

My best bet is IDW buying Archie comics. IDW has 2 former Archie properties: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and coming soon - Sonic the Hedgehog.

Could it be troubles that Archie comics may go bankrupt because of issue troubles a few years ago? The lost of the Sonic comic book rights from Sega? The plans to do Dick Tracy comics until Tribune Content Agency cancelled the licence plans? Making Cosmo a 5 issue miniseries instead of ongoing? Anything else?
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oct 5, 2014
    I wouldn't think that it would see bankruptcy that quick, It would take more time than a few years before any idea like that would happen. The Dick Tracy continuation was merely disputes of rights I can't say the company didn't do it because of Archie, more likely other companies just gave it trouble.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Spacer

Aug 8, 2014
    I don't think they'll go out of business—this year. After that, I'm not so sure. They have their shows, but the hipster bump they got from rebooting the books has faded. So I don't know where this company will be in 2 or 3 years.

IDW does like acquiring properties and other companies, they may try to add Archie to their empire at some point down the line.
  4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Sep 24, 2003
    Just because they're having trouble keeping that company in order doesn't mean it's in financial ruin. Kids still buy the checkstand digests as far as I know, and there's also the fact that they've got a campy CW drama on the air, so the brand isn't exactly invisible these days.

Archie going bankrupt would be an interesting "what-if"....because we're talking about a HUGE library reaching back 75-plus years. What would anyone do with it all?

Believe it or not, Dark Horse has been licensing and reprinting hardcovers of old Archie stories in order for the last dozen or so years. Someone actually is attempting this.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Part of the problem stems from---wait for it---books being late. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, their creative director, has taken his warped vision to Hollywood, and put the two books he was writing in permanent turnaround (meaning Afterlife With Archie & Chilling Adventures of Sabrina will only return when the guy feels like writing more comics), and he refused to share his vision with other writers. I don't watch Riverdale, and I don't like how he's mishandled so many of the characters just because he's looking to pay tribute, in his own bizarre way, to David Lynch (Twin Peaks).

IMPO, Archie Comics isn't going away. It could get bought out, but it needs to retain its own identity, and also cut the prices down. No one's buying their books at $4 a copy of whatever they're overcharging for their digests these days. Marvel's licensed some of their old material for reprint digests, but I don't see them in my area, not even at Walmart.
  6. Tinypumpkin

Tinypumpkin New Member

Archie hasn't been hot, since three of it's titles; Jughead, Josie, and Betty and Veronica haven't been releasing new issues in months. Also Your Pal, Archie just did the Riverdale show done with classic Archie style with no news if it's been cancelled or not. The new Vamperonica title should have been a direct sequel to the classic style Archie story where evil vampire surfers plan to replace everyone with vampire clones. IDW need to reprint TMNT Meets Archie, since that title is set in the TMNT Adventures cannon.