Why was 2005-2009 a dark age for CN?

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Sep 28, 2015
Ratings
Many people say that CN wasn't as good in the mid to late 2000s as it was earlier that decade or in the 2010s. Why do you all think so? I believe it was because:
  • Live-action shows
  • Increased focus on Canadian imports
  • The popular 2000s shows (Foster's, EEnE, KND, Billy & Mandy, and others) were ending
  • The new shows (Chowder, Flapjack, Camp Lazlo, Gym Partner's, and others) that premiere weren't as popular or good

Cartoon Ruler

Dec 11, 2011
Ratings
1,872 7
Galloway, NJ
Hold on, I don't recall many people stating that CN gone through decay in 2005 and 2006...
Live-action didn't even start popping up until 2007, when Out of Jimmy's Head first premiered, among many others.
The popular 2000s shows (Foster's, EEnE, KND, Billy & Mandy, and others) were ending
Why do many people assume that a good show ending means that the entire network has decayed. Isn't it a good thing that a show doesn't gone on for too long to avoid rotting?

IMO, the 2004-2007 CN City era was decent (and played a huge part of my childhood). The 2007-2010 era, however...

Wasn’t there already a thread like this? Anyways I think CN decayed in the late 2000’s mostly due to live action shows.
Yeah, that's when the decay in the USA started to me. Though here in Portugal, when we got the European feed, it was now infected by action shows and that wasn't good for my tastes. Until I realized that I could give CN another shot (their schedule was starting to improve over here) in August of 2010.

May 28, 2016
Ratings
516 8
I may have said this before in another thread, but here I go anyway:

CN wasn't in a dark age during those years and I really liked (and in a few cases even loved) most of the originals that debuted in those years/this era.

I would agree with everyone else here that CN is in something of a dark age right now.

Radical Edward

Was Rad's Kittens
Feb 3, 2018
Ratings
1,053 6
Here in Asia, we were barely impacted by the "dark age" because none of the live action shows ever aired in the Asian feed to my knowledge, and the schedule still had some classics in desirable time slots, which was enough for 12-year-old me.

Anyways, CN did relatively well programming-wise up until 2009 imo. I admit there were more shows that didn't click with me than in the previous years, but I'll give them credit where it's due.

Radical Edward

Was Rad's Kittens
Feb 3, 2018
Ratings
1,053 6
I may have said this before in another thread, but here I go anyway:

CN wasn't in a dark age during those years and I really liked (and in a few cases even loved) most of the originals that debuted in those years/this era.

I would agree with everyone else here that CN is in something of a dark age right now.
I beg to differ. I think CN's current lineup is perfectly fine, and the batch of new shows coming to the network looks quite promising.

Here in Asia, we were barely impacted by the "dark age" because none of the live action shows ever aired in the Asian feed to my knowledge, and the schedule still had some classics in desirable time slots, which was enough for 12-year-old me.
Europe too. The only live-action series CN Europe aired when I still had it were Out of Jimmy's Head and Level Up. When it left Portugal it aired Incredible Crew.

Jul 27, 2017
Ratings
The only show on CN I watched during this era was Ed, Edd n eddy but that ended during the era. So yeah, it was kind of a dark age because all of the cartoons ended and they brought in really bad live-action ones. I barely watched CN back then though. I didn't come back until 2010 for scooby-doo mystery incorporated and Adventure Time. This thread is kind of pointless though. Wasn't one like this already created?

Oct 11, 2016
Ratings
671 9
Europe too. The only live-action series CN Europe aired when I still had it were Out of Jimmy's Head and Level Up. When it left Portugal it aired Incredible Crew.
Here in Romania we got Out of Jimmy's Head, Level Up, My Spy Family, Cartoon Network Dance Club, The Latest Buzz, The Sarah Jane Adventures, M.I. High, Ben 10 Ultimate Challenge, Cartoon Network Scavenger Hunt and The Big Big Big BIG Cartoon Network Show