Why The Simpsons and Family Guy became so bad?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Draft227, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Draft227

Draft227 New Member

Ruining their characters, losing their witty humor and going to humor for all ages with bits and pieces of adult humor inserted to straight up mean-spiritedness and violent/sexual humor, among many others. There was a time these shows used to be the funniest on TV, and now they're a shadow of themselves. It depresses me to see that happening with them, and they don't seek to get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

This basically happens with any long running show. When a show runs for so many years, they tend to get stale pretty fast because they are running out of new ideas for the stories and sometimes, they would change the characters' personalities to create new stories for the characters. The problem with this though is that sometimes the changes in the characters could be a bad thing, if it's not handled too well. This is probably one of the many reasons why Family Guy is going downhill, because they are changing the characters to be more unlikable as the series goes on. With the Simpsons, their problem is that they have been running too long that most of their storylines would repeat a past storyline with a different setting, because they have run out of ideas for the show.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

After years things change, with a change of staff of production due to both shows on going status eventually they will leave and newcomers will likely tweak around some elements, not to mention Fox is likely very rushing the both shows staff to follow a tight schedule which further impacts the quality of the shows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

They simply went on longer than they have should - which first resulted in repetition from lack of new ideas and later forced changes in direction related to presentation and content. In the first years it was about something more than just money. It was mainly about the show. These days it's only about the money and the show has become a tool for that. With contracts running out, no more orchestra and one of the creators being dead I think it's well overdue after 30 years for the show to end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It’s hard to find a show that manages to maintain some level of consistent quality when it runs really long. One of the most notable changes I’ve seen in cartoons is make one of the dumb characters dumber. This is done because a lot of humor can be mined from a character doing something that viewers know is wrong. Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin are both victims of this.

Though, change of both series have been noticeable, I don’t mind as I still find both shows enjoyable. Ratings have yet to falter (aside from TV ratings being down across the board) to the point that the show needs to be cancelled so it shows that the average viewer doesn’t really mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ToonsJazzLover

ToonsJazzLover Active Member

As someone that doesn't blindly hate the new seasons, the Simpsons is just a shell of its former self. There's almost nothing fresh to tell stories anymore as we had seen most of the the same plots over and over again. The show is suffering by that reason, lackluster writing, gimmicks (like making political shorts about 45 and couch gags made by guests), and lack of energy in voices. Only strength it had today is the music (even though Alf Clausen left the music is still done by an orchestra) and the animation, which is back to fluidity and the backgrounds still look nice than ever. I think the biggest problem is that Al Jean refuses to stepdown as showrunner. If anything, he should have stepped down in season 17 (while continue to be the consulting producer/writer) and let people like John Frink or Matt Selman be his replacement. Sadly, the 2 or 4 season per showrunner stopped by 2005, but oh well.

Family Guy, on the other side, while it does recycled plots a few times, it doesn't go overboard like Simpsons been doing the last decade. Only things FG doesn't have over Simpsons is the animation. I won't complain too much about it, but I do admit it looks flat and doesn't move that much at all, unless there's a fight sequence (and sometimes trippy sequences like Lot Going on Upstairs), and especially when CGI animation is prominent. However, in my opinion, the show had been seeing a Renaissance especially this recent season, thanks to Alec Sulkin taking over the place. He and the writers are still keeping the show fresh by making episodes with more focused plot, tone being less cynical (aside from a couple so far). This is only the first 9 episodes, but I'm still hopeful that this will really be an improvement. The show only went worse between 2013-early 2015. Again, this is just all my opinions since I'm just a Modern Family Guy defender.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Hardcore Gamer

I don't really like promoting "rant" videos, but this one hits on the key points and also notes how the show's success paved the way for decline better than I could:

8. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I think part of the Simpsons's problem is that they've run out of ideas. They keep using similar plots like marriage issues with Homer and Marge. But there's also the fact that they could freshen itself with by using the huge cast it has instead of always completely focusing on the family.

Family Guy started nosediving far quicker than the Simpsons did with similar issues, and it no longer feels like it takes shots at all sides like it used, but sides with Seth MacFarlane's views (this goes for American Dad as well).

I wouldn't even consider that a rant video. It critiques the show in a civil and intelligent manner without feeling like the reviewer is foaming out of the mouth. It brings up great points without any insults.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DrawCartoon

DrawCartoon New Member

I’m not sure that running out of ideas is the main reason, I think it’s more about how they’ve run out of jokes. I could happily sit through another episode about Homer and Marge having marriage difficulties or yet another Springfielder’s back-story, as long as it was funny. But unfortunately all the jokes are becoming self-referential and so reliant on pop-culture that they’re out of date by the time they air. Current episodes are conpletely devoid of the subtlety and artistry which brought the earlier seasons the high renown which they’ve earned.

10. copper20

copper20 Member

https://copper70.deviantart.com/journal/10-Problems-with-Modern-Family-Guy-Remake-608092935

My complaints about modern Family Guy are in the link here - probably would not be able to stuff this WHOLE thing on Toonzone. There is just so much wrong with Family Guy these days that it needs a list to be made and I don't think I could do that with this site. Caution, it does include strong language.

Edit: Apparently this was considered "advertising" by someone. I'm not advertising my pages or anything, I can't just make an entire wall of text on Toonzone.