Why Nicktoons shows got cancelled or ended their runs?

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Rabbitearsblog

Jul 6, 2011
Ratings
254 6
United States
Hey! Over the years there has been many Nicktoons that has been cancelled or ended their runs for various reasons and I was wondering if you guys know the reasons why some of the Nicktoons were cancelled or ended their runs? Here are some of the reasons that I know about certain Nicktoons getting cancelled or ending their runs:

The Angry Beavers: It was cancelled due to the final episode "Bye Bye Beavers" breaking the network's rules at the time that the shows cannot break the fourth wall or alert viewers about when a show is ending.

Rocko's Modern Life, Aaah! Real Monsters, Doug and Ren and Stimpy: They were cancelled due to the network's rules about shows reaching the 52 episode limit at the time.

Avatar the Last Airbender: The show pretty much ended on its own terms.

Of course, if I'm wrong about these reasons, then let me know down below! And also, what other Nicktoons do you know got cancelled or ended their runs and what were the reasons for those shows getting cancelled or ending their runs?

Rabbitearsblog

Jul 6, 2011
Ratings
254 6
United States
Wait, Rocko's Modern Life, Aaah! Real Monsters, Doug and Ren and Stimpy ended, because of Nickelodeon had a 52-episode limit for original shows? Wow!
Yeah, I believe at the time, Nickelodeon had most of their shows end after 52 episodes, which was why those particular shows ended. Rugrats was originally cancelled alongside them, but the show got so popular in reruns that Nickelodeon decided to bring them back. Then, I think afterwards, Nickelodeon raised the number of episodes up to 65 episodes for most shows, even though some shows like Hey Arnold! managed to run for over 100 episodes.

Toons Fan

I wonder if Bonnie and Clyde are wearing any socks
May 10, 2005
Ratings
883 8
Niagara Falls, NY
Yeah, I believe at the time, Nickelodeon had most of their shows end after 52 episodes, which was why those particular shows ended. Rugrats was originally cancelled alongside them, but the show got so popular in reruns that Nickelodeon decided to bring them back. Then, I think afterwards, Nickelodeon raised the number of episodes up to 65 episodes for most shows, even though some shows like Hey Arnold! managed to run for over 100 episodes.
But, Rugrats had 65 episodes at the end of it's 3rd season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toons Fan

I wonder if Bonnie and Clyde are wearing any socks
May 10, 2005
Ratings
883 8
Niagara Falls, NY
Well, the first season of Rugrats had 13 episodes. In 1992 it was renewed for a second and third seasons that both had 26 episodes each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

90'sKid

Jul 17, 2015
Ratings
428 3 1
Ohio
tvtropes.org
Wait, Rocko's Modern Life, Aaah! Real Monsters, Doug and Ren and Stimpy ended, because of Nickelodeon had a 52-episode limit for original shows? Wow!
Disney used to have a similar episode limit for it's cartoon shows (it's why Recess was canned despite being very popular). The fist show that was allowed to 'break' that rule was Kim Possible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ratings
1,487 13
New York
The Angry Beavers: It was cancelled due to the final episode "Bye Bye Beavers" breaking the network's rules at the time that the shows cannot break the fourth wall or alert viewers about when a show is ending.
The show was already ending, it wasn't cancelled because of that specific episode.
Rocko's Modern Life, Aaah! Real Monsters, Doug and Ren and Stimpy: They were cancelled due to the network's rules about shows reaching the 52 episode limit at the time.
Nickelodeon didn't have a 52 episode rule back then. Three of those shows were contracted to make 52 episodes, and Nick didn't feel like making more.

Doug however was contracted to make 65 episodes, but Nick said that the show was too expensive to produce, so they just didn't order the final 13.

As for others, Rugrats ended because it had a spin off series All Grown Up. Jimmy Neutron and Danny Phantom ended because there was "enough" episodes. My Life as a Teenage Robot was cancelled because of low ratings. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ended because the series is getting rebooted.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,273 4
Framingham, MA

Neither of these things are true.

AnimaniacNutso

Sep 4, 2017
Ratings
443 1
Disney used to have a similar episode limit for it's cartoon shows (it's why Recess was canned despite being very popular). The fist show that was allowed to 'break' that rule was Kim Possible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Technically, the first show to break that rule was DuckTales. It had 100 episodes

I heard the reason why Invader ZIM was cancelled was because it was too expensive to produce and since the ratings weren't that good, Nickelodeon was losing money from the show.

It's the one Nickelodeon show that seemed to get more of a cult following after it ended. It's cult following is the reason there's a comic book series currently, as well as a future TV Movie and a fair amount of merchandise

Note from Mod: If you need to make another post and no one has posted after your last post, please edit your previous post. Do not double post.

Last edited by a moderator: