Why does it seem Foghorn Leghorn isn't more popular?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by speedy fast, Aug 19, 2016.

1. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Foghorn Leghorn isn't more popular. I know popularity can be subjective, but when it comes to marketing, it seems like he's under-used.

Over the years, he was only given one VHS release (not counting public domain video collections) and one DVD release, never his own laserdisc collection. I don't think there were ever any Foghorn Leghorn video games. His Tiny Toon Adventures counterparte, Fowlmouth, seemed to only make a handful of appearances (with only one episode where he's the star, along with his own subplot in How I Spent My Vacation). There was a Looney Tunes PVC line released around 1994 which included every "main" character except for Foghorn Leghorn and Speedy Gonzales. He's also never had his own television series (either as a completely original show or a package show of the classic cartoons).

It seems certain characters are more popular and marketable than others, and I think some were really just popular during certain times. Maybe he was a lot more popular during the time his shorts were made, though I've also read that the directors made the shorts for themselves, so it's likely that a character with a large filmography might have been more due to the directors wanting to use them than character popularity (of course there could still be exceptions, it's often said that the directors had to do a certain number of Bugs, Daffy, and Porky cartoons per year. Of course I've also seen filmographies listing titles and directors, and something about that fact seems off). Foghorn Leghorn starred in nearly 28 cartoons, and while he was introduced at a time when most new characters would more-or-less become formulaic, his cartoons generally weren't (aside from the fact that most of them took place on the farm). There were recurring plots - Foghorn's fueds with Barnyard Dawg, trying to outsmart Henery Hawk and the weasel, bonding with Egghead Jr - but there were also plenty of plots that weren't exactly recurring ("A Fractured Leghorn", "Raw! Raw! Rooster!", "The Slick Chick", "Banty Raids", "Fox Terror").

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think he is still very common in Rabbits run he did appear and also in The Looney tunes show, while as of right now not in Wabbit I think he is common still but far from uncommon right now.

3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

People from the South see him as a mean-spirited caricature and want nothing to do with him.

People who aren't from the South think he's glorifying the South and want nothing to do with him.

4. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Hi, I'm back, saw this topic.

Two words:
    Robert McKimson.

Outside of the Tasmanian Devil, his character's don't get a lot of respect------------------if any..sad. (Of course that also describes Foghorn's fate at the end of his cartoons except "Crowing Pains", "High and Flighty" and a few others..