Why Did You Choose Your Current Avatar Version 4.0

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Dec 9, 2010.

1. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

Bumblebee from Transformers: Robots in Disguise, in honor of the end of season 2.

2. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

There are a good few Peridot avatars on here, so I'mma give Amethyst some love instead.

3. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

With the end of Easter, time to change my avatar for a new season. This time it's Nena Trinity of Gundam 00.

4. Mr. Daniel

Mr. Daniel Back (but just occasionally)

In honor of Bionicle's 15th anniversary. I've decided to honor it and use my favorite character of the series, Lewa, riding a air vehicle as my avatar!

5. Francisque

Francisque Well-Known Member

I just love this face from Anais, inc. the scene where she does that

:D

6. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I changed my avatar to this funny looking Pearl. Actually I saw this picture with the caption "Didney Worl" so that's all I can hear when I see this picture.

7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

Skids, the Autobot theoretician and super-learner.

After 50+ issues he saved his friends' lives and remembered a horrifically tragic moment from his past. The recollection triggered a fatal nervous breakdown.

8. Jean74

Jean74 December to Remember!

It is due to my family and the recent vacation we have at Myrtle Beach SC!

9. Gatordragon

Gatordragon I get knocked down, but I keep getting up.

Awesomenauts released a new character named Ix the Interloper and so that is my new avatar. The winner of the second Design-A-Naut contest, Ix can link with other 'nauts and swap places with them, allowing it to save allies or put enemies into vulnerable positions. It's also a hippie/hipster who's been saving the universe from pollution before it was cool.

A demonstration:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Mine is Yoshikage Kira, a normal man who wants a normal life but as an added bonus he does treat his girlfriends right by giving them gifts and enjoying a picnic with them.

11. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

Updated my avatar to Dimensional, I was thinking of keeping it as Check It 4.0 because of the international feeds, but I've heard that the new rebrand will eventually be rolled out, so I've changed it. Will rebrand the blog early next month or this weekend.

12. Dr.Pepper

I changed mine to the new Alolan version of Ninetales that is Ice/Fairy type. Ninetales has always been one of my favorites and it just looks so regal.

13. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

It's a bear.

...I think.

14. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've had the same photo of Papa Emeritus and Snoop as my avatar for years, and I've thought it was time for a change for a while. So I'll be trying a series of sorts where I'll change my avatar to whatever particular album I'm feeling this moment.

Right now, I'm using AC/DC's Highway to Hell. It's funny, I never used to be much of an AC/DC fan. I thought they were pretty one-note and redundant, but now I realize that's mostly the Brian Johnson era that's true of (and even then, I have For Those About to Rock in my car, and that has some choice cuts on it), while the Bon Scott stuff is some great blues rock.

I feel like this, his last album before his untimely death, is their best, a solid onslaught of jammy tunes starting off with the rightfully iconic title track that ends to the menacing "Night Prowler". It's all pretty awesome, and it shows Mutt Lange's talents, as he found something in the band that their other producers hadn't before. Even after losing Scott, he'd do some more good work with the band, before putting equally important finesse to Def Leppard's sound, but if you ask me, he started to lose his touch around Hysteria. With no offense to Shania fans.

15. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

I just thought that Kubo looks cool

16. Dr.Pepper

I changed mine to the new Pokemon Type:Null. I just needed a change.

17. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

It's time for a new album, so I'm going with Carcass' Surgical Steel as my album of choice, one of my favorites of 2013. The band had been back together for a few years up to this point, but they took their time before making a reunion album, which worked to their advantage, as this is great stuff.

It feels like a retrospective of Carcass as a whole, containing a bit of their earlier grindcore edge with the technically perfect melodeath that they embraced with Heartwork and Swan Song. There's even a bit of experimentation here, with an ambient opener reminiscent of a certain Van Halen album's opening track, and a 6-minute slow jam closing off the thing. It all works pretty well, though, as this ranks as one of the best death metal releases of the decade as far as I'm concerned.

18. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've temporarily changed it for the month of October. I plan to change it back after Halloween because I feel I'm most recognizable that way (it's been my regular avatar on all sites since I signed up for Twitter 2 years ago). I actually tried using this one on here last year, but for some reason, I could never upload the right size. Don't know what I did wrong then or what I did different now, but hey, at least I got it to work this time. Since it's fan art, I feel I should probably link the source:
    http://southparktaoist.deviantart.com/art/Halloween-Pinkie-Pie-332380787

I do have to admit, though, that it's going to be a little weird seeing my own posts since I've been using the same avatar since I signed up.

• Like Like x 1
    #918 PinkiePie97, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  19. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

October is here, so I decided to change my avatar to something appros. Here's the Crawling chaos, Naryko!

20. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

I was trying to decide between a couple of albums for my next update, but ultimately went with The Sound of Perseverance by Death.

This is their last album, but wasn't even meant to be- founder/singer/guitarist Chuck Schuldiner wanted to retire the band to focus on his more progressive-leaning Control Denied, but new label Nuclear Blast wanted one more Death album before he focused on his new band. It's been suggested that some tracks here were originally written for Control Denied, but were given some of Schuldiner's Death magic to fit here, which makes sense.

It's definitely a more progressive album than their previous releases, almost a world beyond Leprosy or even Human, but it's not too far removed from death metal, just far more technical than the band's earlier material. Schuldiner's screech is raspier than usual, giving it a sense of urgency that fits, while the backing band is quite strong, and are more than apt to hold their own against his tempo melding, and contribute some tight material.

It even has a great cover of Judas Priest's "Painkiller" as a bonus track, which feels like a nice way to send off the band. Sadly, we've still only received one album from Control Denied, as Schuldiner died of a brain tumor in 2011. The band was working on a second album, that has consistently been in the final stage of production for the past 15 years, which has yet to see a release.

I'm not sure if I would say that this is the best album for newbies to Schuldiner's music to delve into, but it is a good blend of his iconic heavier sound, and later progressive-leaning contributions, with his taste for smartly-paced beats and wide-ranging lyrics ever present. But his raspy voice may be too much for those unfamiliar for death metal to appreciate, even if the music is the right tempo.