1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are Most Cartoons Marketed and Made Towards Kids?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by AnimaniacNutso, May 21, 2018.

1. AnimaniacNutso

AnimaniacNutso Well-Known Member

I am not complaining about this, but I am admittedly confused about this. I noticed that early on, a lot of cartoons included adults as part of their audience (Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, Tom and Jerry, etc.), but later down the road, cartoons were made for kids and only kids (Though there were ones that had adult appeal) until The Simpsons came out and there were more cartoons for adults after that. Even still, most cartoons seem to be ones aimed and marketed towards kids and seem to outweigh the adult cartoons in quanity. Why is it that? I feel like there should be cartoons aimed and marketed towards the whole family. Like I said, I am trying not to complain, I am just confused about this

2. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user & Cartoon analyst

Simple. Kids love animation.

3. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Well, technically, the creators of most kids cartoons do try to aim for a general audience composed also of teenagers and adults, but network executives don't see it that way. They see a cartoon as one or the other, a kids cartoon or an adult cartoon, not anything in the middle.

4. Electricmastro

Yep, it never a total downside for creators in having their cartoons seen by more people I think. I think for the longest time, it was only really Walt Disney that truly understood the idea of all-inclusive cartoons and how they appeal to people of all ages: "I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether we be six or sixty." I think this kind of thought might be spreading around more as of late though.

5. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

There are still some people around the world that believe that "cartoons are for kids". In Portugal, we have this weird scenario in which people over the age of 10 "oficially" stop watching cartoons and begin watching age-inappropriate live-action series.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Cartoons are aimed towards kids because they’re the audience most likely to watch it. There’s a general social stigma about older people watching cartoons and media companies are aware of audience fragmentation as they get older. Since animation is a very expensive and long process, targeting the audience most likely to watch them gets more bang for their buck. Plus they’ll buy a lot of toys, which is a huge source of revenue.

Also, when aiming for a general audience, it’s best to still keep things family friendly, this has always been the case for most animation, but demand for tighter censorship (as people’s taste in what’s deemed appropriate changes), kind of drove older people away.