Why are cartoons more lighthearted now?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by James35, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:40 PM.

1. James35

James35 Member

Nothing wrong with today's cartoons but I was wondering. Back in the 2000s we had shows like Samurai Jack, Avatar, and Clone Wars.

I don't want to upset anyone but I am curious why is there less cartoons that are as serious as those old shows.

Are today's parents more protective? Are today's animators less interested in serious themes? Is it culture? Since the world is becoming scarier people want more escapist lighthearted entertainment? Or do people watch a lot less TV?

Should Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network make something to compete with Star Wars Rebels and Voltron?

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It’s mostly because there’s no demand for it, or more specifically, network executives don’t THINK there’s strong demand for it, so they don’t pick up more serious shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

You should really check out the French cartoon Lastman

4. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

A lot of parents and grown folks who don’t watch cartoons tend to have this idea that all animation is inferior to live action. They want cartoons that’ll keep kids laughing at fart jokes among other juvenile gags before they graduate to ‘real entertainment’. Show those adults Samurai Jack, Avatar, or heck even Hey Arnold and the fact that they’ll have to BEGRUDGINGLY say that they were impressed means that they don’t see animation as an art form that can make them feel things beyond laughter. Unless it’s coming from Pixar.

Lighthearted toons are simply more expected from animation and networks don’t want to do anything ambitious if there’s no guaranteed profit. A good chunk of kids watching were more than likely only tuned in because a babysitter or parent turned on the tv to shut them up. Why bother making something spectacular and serious when kids don’t understand and adults don’t care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The real answer is that there is no financial incentive to do so. Serious cartoons don't sell toys or comic books anymore. That bothers me, but it's the reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Animation always comes in trends. Right now we are in a light-hearted era. This could change, however, as comic books, action figures and television are slowly getting less popular due to the internet, streaming services, smartphones etc., it gets harder for network executives to make action cartoons profitable.

It doesn't help that Marvel and DC now focus on comic books for adults.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I agree that we could much more violence and dark stuff, provided it's done right and oozes substance, meaning, weight, and consequences, of course.

Otherwise, better lighthearted fare than hatefilled blandness, condescension, pretentiousness, and/or stupidity, any day, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

As others have said, there’s just not a strong demand right now for more ‘serious’ shows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "light-hearted". The shows you listed definitely lean more towards the action-drama side of the scale, but they were still (for the most part) pretty kid-friendly. And several current shows do deal with serious, morally complex subjects and occasional dark imagery, as seen with Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Gravity Falls.

If what you mean to say is "why are there less straight up action cartoons these days" (and yes, I'll agree with that) I'll just mimic what everyone else has said there just isn't as much demand or perceived demand for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Those cartoons are still out there. There's Voltron: Legendary Defender, Trollhunters, DreamWorks Dragons, Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, and Castlevania on Netflix. And Nico and the Sword of Light on Amazon. And the Marvel shows on Disney XD. They're just either on streaming or aren't pushed enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #10 ToonJay723, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 12:27 PM
  11. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

As everyone else has pointed out, there is not a huge market for serious cartoons nowadays. Look at what happened with shows like the Thundercats reboot and Young Justice when they first aired on Cartoon Network and they were both cancelled due to not doing well in the toy sales.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Young Justice is a poor example. It got revived due to its big fanbase. It only proves there actually is a market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

Yeah, afterwards Young Justice got revived, but I meant when it first aired and its ratings were shot down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

This might be a cycle. Television channels are just not interested in actual action shows, especially abroad, possibly because parents think that such a show is "not suitable" for containing "risky" content. True to Portugal, for example.

• Agree Agree x 1