Which CN shows had pilots/direct origins and which did not?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Mr HooPoe, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Mr HooPoe

Mr HooPoe Member

When I say direct origins, I mean things from What A Cartoon! like Johnny Bravo or Cow and Chicken-- not so much animation tests like Camp Lazlo.

Of course, plenty of CN shows get their start by having pilots being pitched and (sometimes) aired-- whether to check to see if it will work like with Billy and Mandy and Robot Jones, or if it had been greenlit before like Mike, Lu & Og or Sheep in the Big City. Of course, we have gotten later pilots in these categories for shows like Regular Show, Clarence, Steven Universe, We Bare Bears, and OK KO.

However, some shows do not get pilots for testing and are automatically greenlit like Ed Edd 'n' Eddy, Time Squad, or Class of 3000.

Could I have a clear list of shows like these? I could probably throw Space Ghost Coast to Coast (which I think had two pilots) and The Moxy Show for good measure.

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

How do you know for sure that these shows never had a pilot? Why would they greenlit anything without a pilot?

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

The pilot of Ed Edd n Eddy was The Ed-touchables.

4. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

How come? Did it get an earlier draft?

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

All the “early installment weirdness” just led me to believe that it was a pilot.

6. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Most shows have that "early installment weirdness", so EEnE did not have a pilot.

7. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I think it should be said that a pilot and a first episode aren't interchangable, while a show's pilot may be it's first episode, at other times it's not. Some shows have pilots that were pitched to the network and we're never shown on TV, such as Gravity Falls (while it is similar to the first episode, it was done in Flash and some designs were different) and Recess (who's pilot is still unknown to the public, only a few screen caps exist from early promos).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Yeah pretty much any series has to have some original pilot that is usually just a very quick rough draft and concept of what the series is about to actually sell to the network. I can't really think of a cartoon that didn't have some sort of animation test pilot that the creator made as an example of what the series is, nor would I think there'd be a series sold without some sort of pilot. Heck even creators who have sold popular series when trying to get another out have to showcase some sort of example of what the show is before it goes into full on production. I think what you're asking Mr HooPoe is what Cartoon Network original series have had they're pilots actually available to view either on the network itself, or seen by the general population. And that would be Dexter's Laboratory, Cow And Chicken, Johnny, Bravo, Powerpuff Girls (which all made quick debuts in The Space Ghost Coast To Coast Episode "President's Nightmare" before debuting on What A Cartoon), Mike Lu And Og, Courage The Cowardly Dog (just on What A Cartoon Show), Sheep In The Big City (from the Cartoon Cartoon Summer 2000 sneak peak event) The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy, Whatever Happened To Robot Jones, Codename Kids Next Door, Megas XLR (which all were pilots either picked or runner up by viewers in the Cartoon Network Big Picks from 2000-2002), Adventure Time (which was originally a Nickelodeon pilot for they're "Random Cartoons" but was passed over by Nick and went to Cartoon Network), Regular Show, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Uncle Grandpa (from the online "Cartooninsitute group of shorts Cartoon Network made though it should be noted both UG and SMFA came from the Uncle Grandpa short), Steven Universe, Clarence, We Bare Bears, OK KO Let's Be Heroes (were also online pilots picked by fans to make possible shows) Mighty Magiswords (due to starting off as shorts on the Cartoon Network App) and the upcoming Apple and Onion and Craig of the Creek. There are likely pilots to every other CN series but those are ones that either haven't been seen on TV or aren't easily available to find online like these other series.