Which Cartoons Do You Think Should Have Ran Longer And Which Ones Should Have Ran Shorter?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Chaos160, May 17, 2018 at 11:18 AM.

1. Chaos160

Chaos160 Well-Known Member

Thanks to a suggestion from a fellow user, I've made this thread to ask all of you which shows do you believe should of ran longer and which ones should've ended long before it actually does?

• Like Like x 2
    #1 Chaos160, May 17, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 9:33 PM
  2. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Should've Run Longer

Invader Zim - Duh

Thundercats 2011 - Though the writing didn't always floor me, this show had a lot of potential and, in any case, it was a huge bummer to cancel it right in the middle of the story with no resolution.

Young Justice - May be a moot point since it looks like the show is coming back anyway, but yeah, great show even if they dropped the ball a bit in season 2.

Gravity Falls - As much as I can appreciate Alex Hirsch wanting to quit while he was ahead, I really feel like they could have done some amazing things with just one more season of the show.

Should've Run Shorter

Oooohhhh, so many.

Simpsons, Family Guy, Fairly Oddparents, SpongeBob, Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Adventure Time, Rugrats, just to name a few

• Like Like x 1
  3. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Ed, Edd 'n Eddy definitely should've ran shorter.

4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Should've ran longer:
    Jimmy Neutron-There was plans for a final season, shame the show couldn't finish it's story.
    Wander Over Yonder- Just as the show was getting better, Disney yanks the plug on it.
    Gravity Falls- Another season or two taking place in the next summer would've been good.
    Kick Buttowski- I think the show should've gotten at least one more season. And give Kendall some episodes that ended better for her than that horrid Pinch Sitter.
    Jimmy Two Shoes- Should've at least be given a TV movie that introduced Lucious the first.
    All Grown UP- This show deserved one more season, or at least continued on as a TV film series (like with Scooby Doo)for a little while. The show was pretty good and got better with the redesigns.
    Thundercats 2011- This should've continued with someone else at the helm. The show had so much potential, but the creator planned on to rely too much on timeskips.
    Right Now KaPow- Definitely an underrated series that was canned because Disney wanted to go into a different direction with their shows.

Should've ran shorter:
    Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show- Don't really need to explain why these shows have gone on for too long.
    Allen Gregory- One episode was too long for this abomination.
    Teen Titans Go!- Again, don't need to explain why this has gone on for too long.
    Spongebob- When it gets to the point where it looks like Mr. Krabs is a bigger villain than Plankton, then it's obvious ideas are at the bottom of the barrel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. superkeegan9100

Thanks for mentioning Right Now Kapow, I too feel like that show should've gone longer, had Disney not treat it like crap.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chaos160

I'm surprised nobody hasn't mentioned Danny Phantom yet. IMO, that should've lasted longer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Yeah, but no one hasn't never mentioned none of Danny neither, young man.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. AnimaniacNutso

AnimaniacNutso Well-Known Member

I honestly think Time Squad could have had a third season. I would have liked to see more historical figures.

While I didn't watch the show that much, I did enjoy what I saw of Robot Jones and I feel like it could have had another season since the show was pretty good from what I remember

Not sure of any that should've ran shorter honestly

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GustlyWind

GustlyWind Member

I think Robot Jones should've lasted longer. The planned series finale sounded so good (though it wasn't even implied in the show itself)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. LinusFan303

LinusFan303 Official fan of Linus Van Pelt

Should have ran shorter
    The Fairly Odd Parents - I love this series they should have stopped either before Poof or before Sparky.
    The Simpsons - Some say it should have ended after season 9 , I'd give up to 12 or 13 but they needed to move on.
    The Rugrats - Again my favorite Nicktoon of all time, but maybe should have ended earlier. Though conflicted where it should have.
    Family Guy- Should have ended earlier and Fox could have lived off the sweet syndication money.

Should of ran Longer
    Time Warp Trio - I think there were more stories for the characters to get into and more about that Mad Jack they didn't get to in the series. The show kind of died when NBC decided not to be with Discovery Kids anymore.
    Time Squad- I've seen others above say that and agree.
    Dave the Barbarian- Wish Disney had stuck with this funny , well written series.
    Also agree on Right Now Kapow and Robot Jones.
    All Grown up , surprised others mentioned it but do agree it had another season in it.
    Harvey Beaks - It really should have gone a little longer it had more to give.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

I really wish Golan had at least a full season or 2 because foxs animated line up is boring

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Pirates of Dark Waters definitely should have lasted longer. I'm not sure how well it has aged, but it was such a cool premise and I remember liking it. The show might have been a bit ahead of its time. If it was made in the 2000's or this decade, it probably would have developed a strong following at least.

I really wish that Green Lantern: The Animated Series had another season. It was a really good series and if the live action was a success, the series might have gotten a second season. It did get a pretty satisfying conclusion with its season finale, but I think that it could have lasted for another season.

Even though I really didn't like the Thundercats remake, I think it deserved at least another season. It wasn't treated particularly well and the writers should have gotten more time to attempt to resolve the storyline. The chances are pretty good that I wouldn't have liked it. The first season was already paced much too fast and they kept throwing in new ideas/goals, so a second season probably would have been more of the same in that regard. Still, it could have provided some sense of closure with another season.

I also like the idea of All Grown Up lasting a bit longer. The series was pretty nice. I liked seeing how the characters had changed after becoming pre-teens/teenagers and getting to have them interact with their parents/grandparents was a nice touch too. Giving it at least another couple of specials might have been nice if they didn't want to give out another season.

The only series that I can think of that I really think should have been shorter is FOP. I haven't watched the series in years, so I can't say how some of the more recent episodes have been, but ending the series after Channel Chasers would have been the best move. While the series was never perfect, I think it would have been more fondly if it had stopped there. That felt like a more natural stopping point and most of their attempts to keep the series going after that are looked down upon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr HooPoe

Mr HooPoe Member

Interesting choices. I have not seen enough of the “shows that should have stopped long ago” to make a judgement on those choices, though. (More people are hopping on the bandwagon when it comes to realizing The Simpsons lasted too long—specifically following the episode that included its response to that documentary about Apu. Now people believe that the show died back when that episode aired in 2017.) Same goes for most of the shows that did not last long enough. I am not entirely sure how much could have been done with an additional series of Gravity Falls to warrant it a worthwhile experience but Wander over Yonder could have used an additional one. Same with American Dragon: Jake Long, which got a similar treatment and had to be compromised.

The only show I can think of right now that did not need to last as long as it should have was Brandy & Mr Whiskers. Yes, the show lasted only a measly two series, but clearly the second one was not worth it even for fans of the show (and this is even ignoring the fact that I hate this show). While I could argue that American Dragon: Jake Long, The Emperor’s New School, and The Replacements all benefitted from an additional series, this show only got worse with the new batch of episodes. It chose to resort to that said, “See us? We are still relevant like Kim Possible and those sitcoms.” There were too many things wrong with it to call it something even remotely close to a step-up.

14. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Should of ran longer:
    • Clarence: it’s short by modern CN standards
    • Invader Zim: I’m not into it much personally but I know a lot of people are.
    • Gravity Falls: I respect the creators decision, but I thought it could of had another season or two.
    Should of ran shorter:
    • Fairly Oddparents: is this still going? I thought people quit caring 10 years ago.
    • Spongebob: should have ended after the movie
    • Dexter’sLaboratory: the revival should have never happened.
    What was the planned finale?

15. superkeegan9100

It's just canned NOW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

RUN LONGER:
    Harvey Beaks (1-2 seasons more MAX) - Nickelodeon made a HUGE OL' MISTAKE with I feel is their best cartoon of the decade getting dropped so hard, IMHO. The Loud House just feels lonely to me when its only company is that annoying yellow sponge and NOT this - and this is keeping in mind that I can take or leave TLH, especially when compared to the likes of these bad seeds, honestly.

El Tigre: Adventures of Manny Rivera (2-3 seasons more MAX) - Obviously. Nuff' Said!

Right Now Kapow (2-3 seasons more MAX) -
    Started out rough, but actually showed potential and only got better, even if some jokes were still hit-and-miss.

Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero (3-4 seasons TOTAL) -
    I know I'm in the minority with this (due to how I find this show so criminally underrated and actually one of DXD's best - just not THE best; that honor goes to stuff like Ducktales (2017), Milo Murphy's Law, and Gravity Falls (well, S2, anyway) IMHO.); too bad I actually like this show, but can acknowledge its flaws, so I don't mind all that much.

So I'll keep my thoughts nice and brief on why, while also suggesting some improvements that should have been made:
    - More episodes focusing on Penn's parents and their predicament; that way, not everything is just focused on 3 kids who don't always know what they're doing.

- Less episodes focusing on Boone being a screw-up (reinforces my more episodes to Penn's parents ideal.); plus, he was the weakest link on this show, which did NOT help matters for me.

- More visible character development for everyone in general (particularly stuff like Penn/Sashi's relationship thing, for one obvious example, Boone being made into less of a screw-up being another great one!), as a result of getting more episodes to do so, besides more dimensions and world-building to consider to really flesh things out better.

I could think of more, but I'm straight, now.

Future-Worm! - Unpopular opinion or not, I could actually use another season (or 2-3 MAX) of this show over Rick & Morty, now that I've grown to actually like it more than what it's considered to be the Lite version of, honestly. I feel it's only fair, since with 70 episodes of the latter on the way, this could be a nice thing to switch back to new episodes of, once I get tired of R&M, seeing as I don't see that show getting any better, to be further honest with myself.

Wander Over Yonder (1-2 more seasons MAX)
    - I have my criticisms with this show, but it really got screwed by not getting a proper ending for itself - let alone a proper defeat of an actual competent villain like Dominator, for example.

Unlike the Zero, the Worm, the Kapow!, and the Wander - I'm fine with Gravity Falls only being 2 seasons... Unlike you guys, I don't think it was that great of a show, even if it did get awesome with Season 2. That ending was just surprisingly too good for it to really keep going past that, IMHO.

Sym-Bionic Titan / Megas XLR
    - BOTH of these shows (especially the former, SBT) got cut way too short before they could truly get into some actual interesting story arcs for themselves to flesh things out more and give it more of something to look forward to than "Giant Robot saves the day and stuff." I mean, if Voltron: Legendary Defender could do it, why couldn't these shows??

Motorcity
    feels like it's in the same boat as these 2, but I don't like that as much as SBT / M:XLR, honestly. BOTH shows should have boasted story arcs and conflicts, lasting at MAX, about 4-5 seasons, then ending proper, instead of the abrupt booting they both got from CN. Curses.....

Mighty Magiswords (at MAX, 4-5 Seasons) -
    this show was just starting to get better, and it even hinted at more proper story arcs, world-building, and character development (all in what could have been a potential S3 and more, no less!), while still delivering the funny, which it more than always has for me. Dangit, CN - death-slotting it like you did was just so wrong!

Welcome to the Wayne
    - Another show from Nick made in current generation that I love (much more than TLH, I might add, because I can!), this show may be getting a 2nd season... And it still feels like its legs were broken by being swept under the rug with how Nick has treated it (which is quite appallingly!).

Atomic Puppet / Fangbone! - Proof that Canada can make awesome enough stuff when it's in capable hands. If only they knew this (I know the former was the more popular one, but I kinda liked he latter more...) is the kind of stuff that should be running up to 3-4 seasons, as the potential was more than there. But no, let's run Total Drama into the ground for the umpteenth time. UGH... Dangit, Canada!

I want to say Clarence (as much as I do like the show, despite my criticisms with it.) should last longer. However, I definitely feel Craig of the Creek has proven to be too good a replacement for it, right out of the starting gate; We Bare Bears has definitely picked up in writing quality going forward as well, so I always have something to fall back on, despite this obviously unfortunate loss of some good SoL in one area for me.

Honorable mentions: Wishfart (Canada), Kitty is NOT a Cat! (Australia), for actually being above-average to awesome stuff from nations known to not always make quality cartoons for the sake of it.

RUN SHORTER:
    Adventure Time - I just can't shake the feeling the writers don't like Finn & Jake - at all, which is why it's not as fun to watch as when it started out; then again, that can be blamed on the Romantic Plot tumors that were showing everywhere by the end of Season 3, plus what I said about Finn & Jake not living up to their potential as the show's stars, anymore. I welcome this show I otherwise love coming to its much needed end.

Powerpuff Girls
    - Really should have ended with S4 and that origin movie (that sadly bombed.). S5-6 were just far too much hit-and-miss; the reboot we got in 2016 has also been a huge mistake that I wish didn't really exist, IMHO.

Regular Show -
    I love this show just as much as AT (is in, TO DEATH.), but some of the romantic nonsense on a certain MC's end could easily be sacrificed to improve the writing quality and help the show NOT feel bloated in a lot of areas, looking back at it, now.

Amazing World of Gumball - Season 6 should definitely be its last, since the creator is leaving and the show isn't as laugh-out-loud funny as it used to be, save for a few episodes (ex.: The Lady, The Shippening), IMHO.

Fairly Odd-Parents - I would actually have much more respect for this show, had it ended with Channel Chasers. Simple as that.
    ...And good riddance.

Dexter's Lab - I'm not even a fan of this old show to begin with and 2 seasons was more than enough - anything after it just fails hard to me and only makes me hate all of the MCs, unfortunately.

Spongebob -
    One more show I'm not a fan of that should have stopped after its first 3 seasons - I hear it's gotten better, but that doesn't assure me of much, especially since I can't shake how hit-and-miss everything comes off after running 3 seasons enough...

Rugrats - the charm this show might have had began to fade in Season 4-5 and pretty much disappeared when Dil was introduced; not even the special that masterminded All Grown Up could convince me something wasn't wrong. Now, this show means nothing to me, looking back at it, as a result of going on far too long. All Grown Up being mediocre nonsense (IMHO) doesn't help for me, either.

Rocket Power - how did this garbage go past ONE season???

Kick Buttowski - there wasn't much hope for this show to get better, once season 2 somehow made the writing quality worse than it already was, IMHO. It's bad enough this show didn't look all that good, either.

My Life as a Teenage Robot - It really feels like nothing is properly resolved for a show that felt like it was trying to build up to something... And couldn't, due to the writing / characters not being all that great, IMHO. This was a mercy killing, if anything.

Unlike Danny Phantom, which while I didn't like that, either - there was actual character development showing up around S2 that really showed it could have been fleshed out more (had the right people still been writing for it, of course.), instead of making it so... dumbed down and made humiliating to watch as it was for a lot of people in S3, due to Hartman deciding it had to be funnier.

Really so such luck with MLAATR for me - this show really had no vision of what it wanted to be and just went on and on like it had nothing to say for itself that wasn't some excuse to not make me angry at it for its absolute incompetence.

Steven Universe (Unpopular Opinion time!) - I really hope S6 is where things can wrap up, because I'm having a hard time caring all that much about this, now. I just don't find the storytelling, characters, or world-building all that interesting / engaging, anymore - and that's ignoring the art-style inconsistencies, which are quite the deal-breaker for me, as it shows only so much professionalism exists here on this show to begin with (again, IMHO).

OK K.O. has similar issues, but it's mostly in the art-style department and how inconsistent it can be in the design department; everything else here (especially how it moves when action scenes occur, for a major example.) has been a massive improvement over whatever the heck SU is trying to do (and failing at), IMHO - just a much funnier, sincere, and action-packed enough show that I'm glad is going strong (where SU honestly isn't!), if you ask me.

HOW WERE ANY OF THESE GREENLIT??? THEY SHOULDN'T EXIST AT ALL (IMHO):

The Buzz on Maggie
    My Gym Partner's a Monkey
    Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?
    Brandy & Mr. Whiskers
    Bunsen is a Beast!
    T.U.F.F. Puppy
    Kid Vs. Kat
    The Replacements
    Fish Hooks
    Camp Lakebottom
    Packages from Planet X
    Atomic Betty

GAME OVER

• Winner Winner x 3
    #16 I.R. Shokew, May 17, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 9:30 PM
  17. Chaos160

Here are the shows that I think should have ran longer:

Danny Phantom: Had alot of potential.

Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM): Ended on a cliffhanger, at least there was the Archie comics before the reboot happened.

Sonic Underground: Even though I really don't care all that much for this show, it also didn't get a proper conclusion. I heard there was supposed to be a comic that ended its storyline, but it never got made.

SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron: That show also had potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #17 Chaos160, May 17, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 9:33 PM
  18. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot about this one. This was a fantastic series that deserved to continue. And considering how the only reason it was canned, was because they couldn't make any toys because of the movie's failure, it would definitely had more seasons if the live action was a success.

Hence why someone else should've taken charge if the series had continued. It could've improved the show to it's full potential.

Is the show still going through with being revived?

19. LinusFan303

LinusFan303 Official fan of Linus Van Pelt

El Tigre! Yes I agree with that Nickelodeon had a show that was a treasure on their hands and let it go. Penn Zero would be on my list too, it kind of got overshadowed on Disney would say Future Worm did too, it had so much going for it, but glad it's finale did get to wrap things up. But they should have given Penn more than a part time. Will disagree with you on some shows , and some in the spoiler but understand your points on them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I always felt bad that Green Lantern was so overshadowed by Young Justice during its run. Young Justice had a much stronger following, which is exactly why it is finally going to get that third season, but it always felt like it was trying to do too much all at once, especially during its second season. Green Lantern seemed to have better structure to me and felt more enjoyable partly due to that. That being said, I can't really blame Young Justice fans demanding a continuation. As much as I would have loved more Green Lantern seasons, it did end on a pretty satisfying note, while Young Justice ended on a cliffhanger with one of the main characters supposedly dying.

It could have, but I don't know how possible it would be to have someone else in charge of the series. Even within a hypothetical scenario where Thundercats is revived again, I don't know if they'd go out of there way to hire a different creative staff, especially if they'd want to appeal to the remake's fans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1