What would happen to AS reruns of Fox animated sitcoms if Disney/Fox deal goes through?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by PF9, Dec 7, 2017.

1. PF9

PF9 Member

Currently, Adult Swim has reruns of Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill and the MacFarlaneverse shows.

Adult Swim's parent network, Cartoon Network, has not historically treated Disney-owned series well. As soon as The Super Hero Squad Show aired its last first-run episode it was off CN's schedule for good. The last season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, never aired on CN because of Disney buying Lucasfilm. It went straight to Netflix.

So, would Adult Swim get rid of the Fox shows if the Disney deal goes through, or would they show some form of independence from CN and keep them?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

...to be honest, I had not even considered the possibility of this leading to FOX properties being removed from Cartoon Network.

Might as well just shut down Adult Swim, if that happens. Or broadcast Toonami on weeknights instead. :)

3. BlooMac

BlooMac Well-Known Member

Adult Swim would surely want to keep them, as long as they can. They do pretty good and fill a good chunk of the evening schedule. The problem is if Disney would want to move them to some of their own channels.

4. coolkevin54

coolkevin54 Member

5. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

If the deal goes through, Disney would presumably get FXX which looks to be building its own adult-animation powerblock with The Simpsons and Archer. :sweat:

At the moment though, Disney still seems to be on friendly-enough terms with Turner to have its "Vault Disney" programming air quarterly on Turner Classic Movies.

#5 SpaceCowboy, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. coolkevin54

coolkevin54 Member

I think it might really depend on what Disney wants to do. Like honestly, if I were them, and I owned all this Adult programming now, I'd look to AS's success and I would want to take that from them. Meaning, I would make my own adult programming block to appeal to teens and young adults. This would mean that I wouldn't want AS to have the FOX stuff that I would now be airing on my block.

7. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

Jeez....Adult Swim without FOX cartoons? Not only ratings will drop hard, but AS wouldn't look the same. Family Guy and Futurama helped built AS' popularity in the first place.

8. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I'd imagine if the Fox shows suddenly left AS, there would be attempts to fill the void with more original productions with outside appeal like Rick and Morty.

9. coolkevin54

coolkevin54 Member

Yeah I would think they would try to push those more, try to make FOX type shows, give time back to CN, and/or try to purchase the rights to similar type shows from other channels.

10. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

Plus Toonami can finally get a weeknight run again.

11. coolkevin54

coolkevin54 Member

That's a good point, wouldn't surprise me if maybe they tried to run Dragon Ball Super every night or something like that. People would definitely toon it for that.

12. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

They would all move to Disney XD.

13. coolkevin54

coolkevin54 Member

LOL Disney brings you "Swimming for Adults," the late night stop for all teens and young adults. In all seriousness though, I'd just imagine an FX type emphasis.

14. wjbraden

wjbraden Member

Hmm, this is pure conjecture, but what if the whole news surrounding the mysterious new "Adult Swim Jr." block and news about the green-lit projects from the Steve Hulett's blog are all connected? Perhaps Turner and [as] have been leery about Fox shopping around to be acquired, and have plans in place (Adult Swim Jr.) to fill the void of FOX shows? It also seems interesting that TBS is starting a new animation block with new home-grown content all of the sudden. SpaceCowboy brings up a good point that it would be tempting for Disney to move FOX shows to FXX to have a full lineup with the Simpsons, Archer, Bob, Family, Guy, American Dad, etc., all in one place. Why keep them on the competition's networks?

If this is the case, without Family Guy and American Dad, [as] and TBS would take a big ratings hit no doubt, since they've been the heavy-hitters for both channels for years now. For years now, I've kind of wished that [as] would have branched out into other Non-FOX programming, whether it be more mainstream home-grown content, live action shows, or even late-night talk shows (Mike Lazzo did try to get Conan to come to [as], apparently, but it fell through).

But wow, can you imagine an [as] lineup today without FOX? That nixes over 2/3 on the nightly schedule right there (though I could see them retaining King of the Hill and maybe Cleveland because of their post-cancellation syndication status). The truth of the matter is would any of you guys here miss them? I truthfully, would invite some fresh, new content over these old dinosaurs that have been replayed to hell and back. If the rest of [as] was akin to Toonami, which brings us literally HOURS of new content every week, through new programming interstitials, etc, I think it would bring in viewers and be a great thing overall.

15. coolkevin54

coolkevin54 Member

Definitely an interesting connection to Adult Swim Jr for sure, it makes sense that they would prepare for something like this if they had any insider information. It is even possible that FOX warned them that they were trying to sell such properties. Either way, if we end up with the worst case scenarios, AS will pretty much have to revolutionize its current line up as they would lose many of their major rating cash cows, and also have FX competition. We could be looking at a very different channel in 2018...

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I think that one good thing that could happen is that Adult Swim might have to start at a later time (say, 10:00PM) if there are fewer programs to fill the schedule. I was not happy at Adult Swim starting at 9:00PM and then 8:00 PM to accommodate the Fox acquisitions.

17. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

I'm on the side that hopes [as] can somehow fill the voids. I still say CN doesn't deserve back 8pm unless they make proper use of the schedule whether it'd be premiers or rotations of other less-commonly played shows. If it was all about TTG for example then I'd say [as] has better use of repeats, given they don't spam a show in one night. Partially why this year I like that CN wasn't given the 8pm gift - they didn't deserve it. So hopefully if [as] does lose the FOX comedies, they can fill in the void as best as possible. Possibly seeing rotations of Rick & Morty a lot as they'll need it as an anchor to help build up the shows that follow it. Wouldn't be so different in a way given how long we saw the same 50 Family Guys cycle until it's return. Just a fewer episode count means faster rotations until more episodes are produced.

If only in a way it was FOX and not ABC owned by Disney, those current FOX comedies on [as] could join Simpsons over on FXX for a big FOX animation party.

This whole thing would also effect TBS too with them playing most of the same comedies daytime. They'd have to go back to just live-action and more airings of current shows including relatively new acquisitions.

If all else, [as] could simply acquire direct from Disney to continue them. Don't see honestly how that might be a problem. In Disney's case it helps them better having a property they own be seen by more viewers even if on a rival channel than their own when viewership would be a lot less. I think so anyway. Could not be seeing something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PF9

PF9 Member

One program I could see Turner acquiring is Duckman. This was cable adult animation in the days before South Park. The show is owned by CBS which has several pre-existing partnerships with Time Warner (I'm surprised TBS hasn't brought back The Odd Couple at this point).

19. coolkevin54

coolkevin54 Member

Yeah there are definitely a few shows like this that can probably fill the void, and I can't imagine they would be a much as they pay for Bob's Burgers and Family Guy.

20. PF9

PF9 Member

Other American shows I had in mind were The Critic, Dilbert (both from Sony), Father of the Pride, and Gary & Mike (and perhaps syndication rights to Bojack Horseman)