1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the darkest or creepiest Looney Tunes short?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Rabbitearsblog, May 16, 2017.

1. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

What Looney Tunes shorts do you think were the darkest or creepiest? For me, I've always found Chowhound to be pretty dark, especially the ending. Also, some of the shorts where Sylvester and Porky Pig went to this haunted house was pretty creepy too. I've heard that Invasions of the Bunny Snatchers was really creepy too because of the doppelgangers, even though I haven't seen that short yet.

Red Arrow :D and Lock n' Stock like this.
  2. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

"The Case of the Stuttering Pig" for me. I can't think of a single short that I find darker or more creepy than that.

Red Arrow :D likes this.
  3. Rabbitearsblog

I've heard that that short was disturbing. I need to check it out sometime.

4. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

I don't know about full shorts, but there were several individual moments that were pretty creepy. Lots of suicide gags, for example (although they were pretty funny, as well).

5. Rabbitearsblog

Oh yeah, I remembered the numerous suicide gags they had, although they had cut them out when they aired on TV.

6. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Hair-Raising Hare for me :)

7. Yum

Yum Active Member

What about those Bertie and Hubie shorts, like The Hypo-Chrondi Cat or that one where Bertie and Hubie eat too much cheese, and therefore think it's time to die. What is the name of that one?

8. Rabbitearsblog

The episode where they ate too much cheese and think it's time to die was called "Cheese Chasers."

9. Lock n' Stock

Lock n' Stock Space Koala

Sorry to bump but...

Anyone remember Rocket-Bye Baby (1956)? You know, that one-off short where a father ends up raising a martian baby (named 'Mot') after a cosmic disturbance? There was some stuff in there that always unnerved and weirded me out a bit, like the father falling out of a skyscraper window to his presumed death while yelling "WHERE'S MY BABY?!?".

Jumpin' Jupiter
    (1955) also applies a bit, not just because of that strange bird-looking alien, but the stuff that Sylvester goes though trying to (unsuccessfully) convince Porky that they're being abducted, much to his annoyance. The way that he says "get off of me Sylvester, or I shall KILL you!" is pretty chilling, in a darkly humorous way nonetheless.

I had both of these on a VHS tape of space-themed LT shorts (all directed by Chuck Jones), so revisiting them brought back some fun memories.

10. Rabbitearsblog

I don't think I've seen those shorts, but they do sound dark and creepy.

11. Lock n' Stock

Lock n' Stock Space Koala

In some ways yes, but the darker moments are usually overshadowed by the gags. Both are highly worth checking out.

12. Classic Speedy

Classic Speedy What the... [QUACK!] Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This list covers quite a few of the major ones. That said, I don't agree with some of the examples listed- "Porky in Wackyland" is anything but nightmare fuel.

13. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

"There's a couple of very Adult Fear moments in "Duck Amuck" when you realize how existential it is."
    One of the funniest moments in animation history is apparantly scary for some people :D