What ruined Sony Pictures Animation?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by TMC1982, Aug 15, 2017.

1. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

#1 TMC1982, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Honestly I always found their movies aside from the Hotel Transylvania series and the first Cloudy to be pretty bad.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I would hardly say they were ruined. They were never that high in stature in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I forget what is Sony Animation sometimes. I do think they could be doing better than they are but they make it hard for themselves, much like the feature film division. They have franchises that could have been strong (Smurfs, Popeye, Ghostbusters, Spider-Man, etc) but they're either turning out low quality movies or something or other. I thought the first Cloudy was great, and I just merely liked the sequel and Hotel Transylvania but other than that I can't recall anything else that left an impression with me. I was curious to see what Genndy could do with Popeye. Some people despised that test footage but I thought it had some promise. It's not getting done though. I heard some promising things about The Lost Village but not from a lot of sources, and with the image of the live-action films still around, it's a tough franchise to take a chance on now. The idea of an Emoji movie turned me off as soon as I heard it and now everyone seems to think it was the abomination that it looked like it would be. I'm hopeful about the upcoming Spider-Man movie but I'm heavily biased. Even if it is really good, it probably won't alter the course of the entire division. I think Hotel is great visually but I wish they had used Genndy to do something more.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

5. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Do we really need yet another negative nancy video by some millennial or older who is vastly out of the age demo saying what is and isn't "ruined" for us?

Sony Animation was never great to begin with, so this is just mindless bellyaching in a sad attempt for views.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheVileOne

Reporter

Also that video ignores Angry Birds.

7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They've been a mix bag around most of their time though nothing really great. To me The Emoji movie is just around the same terms as Open Season. Though Hotel Transylvania is a strong movie series of theirs.

8. Corwin Haught

Corwin Haught Member

Angry Birds technically isn't a Sony Pictures Animation film.

9. TheVileOne

Reporter

Another one they mentioned in the video technically wasn't one either, The Pirates.

10. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Neither is The Star, which he calls out as a bad looking SPA movie later on ... At least Angry Birds was animated by Sony Imageworks, who's worked on a number of "mainline" SPA releases.

The video is kind of weird like that. It mentions the Aardman collabs and the DTVs (which were all animated outside of SPA), but neglects the TV shows, Goosebumps and AB.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

It's kind of hard for me to consider them "ruined" when I've never thought any of their movies were more than okay/decent to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. They have never, IMO, done any really good or groundbreaking works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1