What if Time Warner purchased the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" rights?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:30 PM.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With the release of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles DLC to Injustice 2, now seems like a fun time to posit a hypothetical. Simply, what if Time Warner bought the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise instead of Viacom?

[​IMG]

What do you think we would have seen? How do you think the animated series and/or movies would have played out? Would we have seen a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meet Scooby-Doo movie? Who do think they would have gotten to make a new live-action film for the big screen? And what about the comics - the TMNT remain in their own universe, or folded into the DC Universe?

Share your thoughts and ideas! Don't be shy! Let's hear them!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, no Ninja Turtles cartoons on Nickelodeon, that's for sure :p.

We probably would have gotten a Batman/TMNT animated movie adapting the book, though that would probably have come out from DC rather then IDW (assuming IDW still has the comic rights) :).

I don't think DC would tried to have the Ninja Turtles exist in the same continuity as other DC heroes. There's just too much mythology and importance to the Turtles being in their own universe in my opinion. But boy would we have seen some crossovers :rolleyes2:.

Depending on when the acquisition would've happened, I'm not sure what WB/Time Warner would've done with the show from a cartoon standpoint. I don't think a Ninja Turtles cartoon would fit with the current Cartoon Network :shrug:.

If WB was developing Turtles live-action movies? Well, maybe they would be marginally more succesful with them compared to their efforts with the DCEU...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nothing more than a crazy fever dream but if it happened, well that last 2 live action movies didn't too well from what I read (haven't seen them) and I haven't watched any of the cartoons. I don't know if WB can do a better job with a live action but an animated movie - hmm, that avenue would be worth exploring. Still I see it as a parallel universe with a cross over every so often.

I'm more of a Mirage purist. But everyone once in a while, I look at the comics IDW Publishing is working on and they've created a really cohesive, interconnected, layered universe that draws from just about anything in the franchise's past while still forging on with new stories like Splinter in charge of the Foot Clan and Triceratons trying to relocate back to Earth after winning their freedom. And they have an interdimensional teleporter in their arsenal... I'd like to see the IDW stuff adapted either in animation or live action.

4. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

Well it would be fitting since the first three movies were released by New Line Cinema & TMNT was released by WB. But I'm fine with Nick holding the Rights of the Franchise since it relaunched the franchise on a whole new way.

Course I know WB wants a Batman/Ninja Turtles a thing, even if it'd have to be co-produced by Nick.

On somewhat off topic, I've met Kevin Eastman a Couple times.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's certainly an interesting what-if thought. The live action movies might have fared a bit better, assuming that they got different people to work on it than what happened. I don't know if they would have jumped into making an animated series as fast as Nickelodeon did, or at least start another one so soon after their first one was finished. WB usually has more breaks in between even their Batman animated series, so it might have been a longer break between their TMNT series.

I also doubt that they'd try to fit everything from the TMNT into the DC universe. It would be pretty hard to try to justify that and even seeing the trailer for the turtles as DLC for Injustice 2 was really weird. The idea of fighting as one of the turtles against DC characters is neat and probably one reason why they went with it, but trying to say that they're in the same universe would be a huge stretch. We'd probably get some crossovers at least and that team up with Batman would be given an animated special/movie treatment.

6. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

You can thank the IDW/Batman Crossover for that.

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

@Frontier: IDW still maintains the comics license for the Turtles. I can't see why they'd give that up.

• Agree Agree x 1