What happened to "Duck Duck Goose"?

Discussion in 'Streamtopia - Online Animation Discussion' started by Elijah Abrams, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

These days lately, since August last year, whenever I went to see an animated movie, I have been seeing the trailer for Open Road's next animated feature "Duck Duck Goose". Jump forward to today, and now there hasn’t been any TV spot or poster around! Whatever happened to that movie?

2. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Wow, I can't believe I forgot about this! I saw this trailer all the time too! According to Rotten Tomatoes, the movie is apparently coming out this Friday already, although it seems to be a limited release. Perhaps Open Road Films doesn't think it will do well (I can't blame them, didn't look very promising from the trailers as I recall)?

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Jeez, this is Spark all over again. Well, I don’t blame the distributor, this movie looked like a DTV film. It’s a shame for the production studio, it was their first movie and they were hoping to be the next big animation movie company (like all the others who tried and failed).
    Ah well, at least it’ll show up on Netflix. They probably realized they’ll make more money selling the film rights on that platform, than in theaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I totally forgot this was a thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Elijah Abrams

I would rather see the movie get delayed from its current release date. Also, do keep in mind that Open Road Films has become Global Road Entertainment, following its purchase from AMC/Regal by Tang Media Partners and merger with IM Global, another Tang-owned company.

UPDATE: I just checked Fandango, and there appear to be NO showings of the movie anywhere for today (premiere day)! Even in major cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Boston, Portland (Oregon), Seattle, and Washington D.C.!

#5 Elijah Abrams, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  6. Spacething7474

Spacething7474 darude is a 1999 song from the artist sandstorm

Well that sucks, I was looking forward to it.

7. Pooky

Pooky Member

This has been out in the UK for about a month, but there don't seem to be any press reviews for it. Strange. Well, unusual, I think we can all guess the rationale there.

8. SuperSuck64

SuperSuck64 Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist

Hopefully this means the trend of releasing generic direct-to-DVD animated movies to theaters is coming to an end.

9. Elijah Abrams

HUUUUUUGE UPDATE

According to this recent article on TV Guide's official website, it appears that Open Roa...er, I mean, Global Road has sold their US distribution rights of Duck Duck Goose to Netflix. It will be released on the SVOD service on July 20th.

Second Update: Here's the Netflix trailer uploaded by them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #9 Elijah Abrams, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  10. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Ambassador of Harvey Street

Typical Netflix, always acquiring some movie and claiming it as their own.

11. Elijah Abrams

It’s more likely that Global Road (formerly Open Road) gave up on releasing the movie, and sold it to someone else. Looks like Netflix picked it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Hardcore Gamer

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. Now my rejoinder, "Yep, now they'll go straight to Netflix," is worthless.