What anime would you like for KidsClick?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by aegisrawks, Jun 20, 2017.

1. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Well-Known Member

I would like to see either Dragon Ball Z Kai or Super. I would also adore seeing Pretty Cure on it.

2. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I'd like to see Zatch Bell!, Hamtaro, and MegaMan NT Warrior if they're salvagable.

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

That's going to depend on what kind of treatment they give them. How would you guys respond if I said:

Sailor Moon (Viz dub of original 1992 series, but edited for TV)
    Sailor Moon Crystal (again, edited for TV)
    Card Captor Sakura (Animax dub, or a new dub that isn't "that" infamous version)
    Shugo Chara (a dub created just for KidsClick, maybe?)

You know, shows that aren't the "obvious" choices. Furthermore, by "edited", yes, I'm talking about a "TV-Y7" rating. To that end, I wouldn't ask for Naruto or One Piece, or Fairy Tail, or anything like that. Also, it's not really likely for Card Captor Sakura or Shugo Chara to be on here, but I'm just throwing them out there. I would say Duel Masters, but that would be have to be an all-new straightforward dub (the original English version was a "gag dub" that also included a completely made up "second season" followed by the actual second series), and there is simply no way I would ask for Sgt. Frog because of its own gag dub tendencies (that, and its use of references that don't have an equivalent in the Japanese version). I want to say Squid Girl (which, again, would be edited for TV), but only the first series was dubbed.

4. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Being realistic...one of those toyetic/video game tie-in shows we never got on TV here for some reason would work, like Cardfight!! Vanguard or Inazuma Eleven.

I'd love to see Deltora Quest again since it doesn't seem like Discovery Family has the rights anymore/will ever dig it up. It's a tie-in to a successful kids' book series, so it's got that going for it for ratings.

Pipe dream: If Netflix "originals" are on the table, Little Witch Academia.

5. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Well-Known Member

I know just the one thing Light Lucario smile, Yu Gi Oh Arc V. I know the dub is terrible but the weekday syndication could fianlly put the USA ahead of both Australia and Canada.

I would also love to see a korean Cartoon called Turning Mecard, the dub is awful but the toys are really awesome and the TV deal could help with exposure!

6. DonkeyKongSong

If they are available for TV, Monster Rancher and Samurai Pizza Cats. I mean, they got DVD releases... from the same company as Sonic X.

7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

If 4K can't get Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS on Disney XD, this should definitely be an outlet they look into. Nicktoons is a dead network and Viacom's treatment of Yu-Gi-Oh! on it has been toxic. Even if KidsClick struggles to gain any audience, it's difficult to imagine it would be worse than not airing at all.

The Bushiroad shows would be okay, but I have no clue if KidsClick would run stuff that's officially streaming for free on Youtube.

I'd like this to air on it (since it's received such little distribution) but I know it won't.

• Like Like x 1
  8. D-nice is the man.

I object to that statement, Nicktoons have been airing reruns Fridays at 4 pm, Saturdays at 12 pm, and Sundays at 5:10 am and 8:30 am and, they just need to air the remaining episodes of Arc-V. To say airing 4 reruns a week is calling this series toxic, then i don't know what to say buddy. A few reruns is better than none.

9. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away

They seem to be scavenging whatever series they can find right now, which is says to me they don't have that much to spend for series,but that's understandable being a fledgling network.

That said, I remember Vortexx and it didn't do that well, albeit for a variety of reasons, but one of it's biggest being recycling series from other networks and using them to justify it's existence which likely didn't do them any favors.

So this a tricky situation. They would need to pick series that just new enough to get audiences interested but not that expensive either.

Glitter Force feels like a good fit, as would Cardfight Vanguard with the latter offering decent merchandise potential for the west.

Mostly agreed. Nicktoon's treatment of Arc V is far from perfect, it could be also be heck of a lot worse. See CN.

Granted if it were on Disney XD it would at least have a workday week of reruns and one new episode on Saturdays.

10. Takao

The goal of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime is to sell the TCG. If the local broadcasts are so far behind the TCG release that the cards featured have already left the shelves, there's a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd like to see them air anime that either never aired all their episodes on TV, or anime that never got TV treatment in the first place.

Like others have said, an obvious one is Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V, and if not, it'd be fun to see Yu-Gi-Oh! VRains.

Inazuma Eleven is an anime that got a dub, but never aired in the US. Cartoon Network also never finished Scan2Go (though the whole series is legally on YouTube, so...)

If we get a dub for the latest Digimon season, Appmon, that could work too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Takao

Inazuma Eleven's English dub was recorded in Hong Kong. It's not good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That would indeed make me quite happy. Even with my issues with the dub, it would be nice to give the series some attention. Granted, they'd probably be more interested in getting Vrains on the air as it is the current series, but Arc V should have somewhere to air its episodes. They may just put the series on iTunes at this rate.

I still don't understand this logic. While I suppose it's true that a few reruns is better than nothing, that doesn't mean Nicktoons' treatment of the series isn't awful. As far as I know, Nicktoons has only aired the first thirty seven or thirty eight episodes of the series. Despite being on the channel for well over a year by this point, they aren't even done with the first season. This would be bad for any series, but it's especially bad for a series like Arc V where there aren't a lot of episodes that people can skip over easily. There are a few, but nearly every episode is necessary for story and/or character progressions. You can't go into reruns for months on end and not have that affect the show. That happened with 5D's when they went on a break right in the middle of the Dark Signer arc.

Plus, Nicktoons needs to air over a hundred episodes to finish the rest of the series. That is not a small amount of episodes in the slightest and they should have started airing new episodes ages ago. Granted, I don't think that the dub has reached the third season yet, but the second season has been dubbed and aired in other countries. There is no reason why Nicktoons should be in rerun mode and they've taken too many long unnecessary breaks that basically ruined any chance the dub had of creating an audience.

Toxic may not be the right word for it, but Nicktoons' treatment of the series is pretty horrible. There is no excuse for it and reruns don't make up for not having premieres in months. Reruns might help to keep some interest among kids for awhile, but not for this long. I don't know how four reruns slots could possibly make up for how they've handled the franchise or be considered better than Cartoon Network.

Really? How is Cartoon Network the worse option compared to Nicktoons? Cartoon Network would be a far better place for Arc V to air than Nicktoons. Sure, it would be put on a lousy time slot and they aren't interested in toyetic anime series at this point, but premieres would be consistent, much more than they are on Nicktoons. Episodes would also be available on their website and On Demand section. Episodes of the series go Nicktoons' website, but well after they first premiere. Even with Cartoon Network's lousy treatment of Pokemon, I could still easily watch the episodes the same day they premiered even if I slept in and they rarely took breaks outside of holidays. Cartoon Network is still far better than Nicktoons in this department. I don't know how they could be considered worse than Nicktoons.

Not to mention the U.S. airing is over two years behind the Japanese version at this point. Japan has already started another series, so a few reruns slots is nothing to give praise for when the dub is that far behind. Being far behind the TCG release has been a problem for quite some time, but it has gotten even worse over the past few years. I wish that they could fix it, but they aren't into doing so seemingly. The Vrains simulcast might help in that department though. It might also be the start of making the series online exclusive, which they should have done ages ago instead of sticking with Nicktoons.

I should check more into the KidsClick block, but I do like most of the ideas already suggested. Cardfight Vanguard could work nicely. Monster Rancher would be great to see again and Arc V having a better place to air its remaining episodes would be good, even though they'd probably still prefer to find a place for Vrains to air now.

14. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away

All that is fair enough. Here's the thing, if you really don't care about watching it on TV when it airs, then Crunchyroll has it all there and up to date. Granted it's not the dub, but the fans who care will probably prefer watching the sub anyway with no edits or debatable voices.

I'm not saying Nicktoons is perfect, far from it. Their schedule is bland with Arc V being treated an contract obligation, but at least I can watch it when I'm awake, and possibly watch it again when I miss it on tv. Yes, the on-demand service is really poor when compared to CN's but the things to keep in mind is CN's VoD for their acquired programming is all over the place and episodes are there out of order if it isn't brand new, with episodes being pulled at arbitrary dates. A series shouldn't be dependent on VoD either, if it is why even bother having it on the network at?

They're two sides of same problem and that's mismanaging properties to the point it's more trouble than it's worth to watch them, and that's not okay. But as it stands, simply being able to watch the thing on TV is something Nicktoons does better, even if they aren't the best or even good at it.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Crunchyroll doesn't have all of Arc V subbed yet though. They are far ahead of the dub and it's certainly true that fans can just watch the series that what or what is available on iTunes, but what is legally available isn't up to date yet. Part of that is probably due to how they're still waiting for the rest of the series to be on DVD so that they can they use DVD quality footage for the subs. Getting the Vrains simulcast set up probably also took a bit of time away from the Arc V subs too. While having legal subs is definitely good and I am glad that option is there, that shouldn't be an excuse for the lousy treatment of the dub. Fans of the series will be more willing to check it out, but dubs are generally still better at attracting new people into a series than just the subs.

I never had a problem with Cartoon Network's On Demand section like that. I'm not sure if it's different with other third party shows or other cable providers since I have Comcast, but I almost always was able to watch the most recent episodes of Pokemon on Cartoon Network's On Demand section the day after it aired and it would be up on their website the same day. There were only a couple of times I can recall where I had to wait a bit longer for new episodes to be uploaded there. Usually the ordering wasn't a problem either as they had the number system pretty clearly setup. I also never said that the series was depended on Video on Demand or that it should be. I was using that example because that is a good and useful feature to make up for a lousy premiere slot. More people are watching shows through services like On Demand, so making new episodes easily and quickly accessible through that means is good. By not having that feature or making episodes available on their website, that can make it difficult for shows to thrive in this day and age.

That's one reason why Nicktoons feels so backwards to me. There is no On Demand section for any of their third party shows, at least as far as I know, and it can take weeks for episodes to end up on their website. I'm not saying that shows have to rely on those methods. TV exposure itself is still good and useful, but not having either one of those options is not good. There are channels that include promoting their websites/apps/On Demand sections for new series and episodes nowadays for a reason, including Cartoon Network and Disney XD. More people prefer to watch episodes when they want to rather than just when it's on TV and is it important to make that option available.

I don't really see how that works. I like being able to just watch shows on TV live whenever I can too, but if Nicktoons isn't even good at doing that, how are they better than Cartoon Network? They currently have more rerun slots for Arc V than Cartoon Network did for Pokemon during its last couple of years airing the show, but is that really a good thing when they're treating the series as a contract obligation, haven't aired a new episode in months, have no plans on airing the second season and are so ridiculously far behind the Japanese version? Maybe I'm just missing something, but airing reruns on TV live is not enough to make up for their terrible treatment of the series or they make them look good by comparison simply because there are more rerun slots on the channel than what Cartoon Network has done with their third party shows in the past few years.

16. DonkeyKongSong

Cardfight!! Vanguard could easily air there, and I think the Future Card Buddyfight dub is starting up again. (I think it briefly aired on Teletoon in Canada.)

If they can get television rights to Glitter Force, that'd be a nice touch too. (The only Netflix "exclusive" series I know to air on TV was Mako Mermaids on Disney Channel.)

Since they were able to rescue Sonic X, I wonder what the likelihood of them rescuing Tama and Friends or Magical DoReMi is. They both satisfy the E/I requirements and despite not having complete dubs, it honestly doesn't matter for the former due to its lack of an overarching plot and the latter had somewhat of an ending (though the Ferdagio plot is unresolved in the dub) and having E/I shows might help the block last longer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Speaking of old 4Kids shows, Dinosaur King could fit on the block as well. Not sure if it would meet the E/I requirements, though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

"Glitter Force"? Personally, I'd much rather they aired the dub of the original Pretty Cure series that only aired in Canada. Takoyaki to donuts* (I think) aside, it's a (comparatively) much more faithful dub than "Glitter Force" (which is actually Smile! Pretty Cure).

*From what I can see, this is more a Woolseyism than a Macekre, but again, it's still a much more faithful dub.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd say anything from OLM Inc. Disney already has Pokemon, Yo-Kai, and Beyblade, but they can still get some of their other shows like Future Card Buddyfight, Inazuma Eleven, Dragon Collection, ect. They could also air that new Duel Masters series.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I forgot to mention it earlier, but I agree that Appmon could be a good choice if that series gets a dub. It might eventually, although the focus for Digimon is primarily on the Adventure Tri movies right now. I doubt that Nicktoons would be that interested in a new Digimon series at this point as well.

• Like Like x 1