WB Silver Age

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Roman Legion, May 23, 2008.

1. Roman Legion

Roman Legion Let's Make a Deal
    Staff Member Administrator

Discussion thread for WB Silver Age. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

2. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

What exactly is the definition of the silver age of Warner Bros.? I always see the same shows mentioned when talking about the Silver Age (Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, and Histeria), so, you'll have to excuse my ignorance for a while.

Does the Silver Age celebrate the output from Warner Bros. the studio? If so, wouldn't Batman: The Animated Series and Superman be considered a part of the Silver Age as well?

Does the Silver Age celebrate the comedic output from Warner Bros. Animation? If so, wouldn't Taz-Mania (which came after Tiny Toons but before Animaniacs) and Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries (which came after Pinky and the Brain and Freakazoid but before Histeria) also be considered Silver Age cartoons as well?

I'm thinking there needs to be a clear-cut example about what the era entails and why some shows aren't considered a part of it.

3. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja

My understanding is that the WB Silver Age begins with TT and includes any shows from Warner Bros. during that period. I'm a little unclear as what is considered the last cartoon of the silver age. I assume it's with the end of that good run of shows, somewhere around or shortly after Road Rovers.

4. Roman Legion

It is sort of a fuzzy thing, which I'd like to see mapped out. Those particular comedy series are the gooey center, but what other shows stick to them? I look forward to some good diagrams.

--Romey

5. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Jeff brings up a great question. To me, the Silver Age term refers to how the work at Termite Terrace is considered WB's Golden Age, and that series made by Tom Ruegger like Animaniacs and Tiny Toons successfully attempt to recreate the magic that Tex, Chuck, and crew were able to come up with should be included to the title, as well as certain series headed by Golden Age characters, like Taz-Mania, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, and even Duck Dodgers should also qualify to the term.

Wouldn't classify Baby Looney Tunes and Loonatics as Silver Age series, though. There's another name I'd give to them, which I won't go intro context here.

6. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

I've always considered the Silver Age of Warner Bros. Animation to be the 1990s period, ending with "Histeria!".

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'd like to bump this, as I'm curious if anyone has anything further to say on this subject of what constitutes the Silver Age. I'm also wondering if there are other "ages" in WB's history that are generally acknowledged.

Finally, I'm pondering whether this should just be rolled into a main Warner Bros article that would cover the entire history there. Any thoughts?

8. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I think it's silly to call this the "Silver Age", and I've found it silly for as long as the term has been in use.

What we're really celebrating here is Warner Brothers Television Animation, or more specifically, Warner Brothers Television Animation in the 1990s. A true silver age of Warner Brothers Animation would encompass more than just a few TV shows. How was the output on the theatrical side of things? Pretty abysmal, in some cases artistically and in some cases financially. And lets not forget Space Jam.

If any company had a true silver age during the 1990s it would be Disney, both in theaters and on television.

9. Roman Legion

It's a term that's been in use in the community, especially around here. That's justification enough to have a page on it. =)

--Romey