1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Bros. Animation will produce new short-form "Looney Tunes" cartoons

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 11, 2018.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Deadline reports a short-form Looney Tunes revival is in the works. Warner Bros. Animation plans on producing new 1-6 minutes long shorts, with a total of 1,000 minutes per Season.

#1 RoyalRubble, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Frontier and superkeegan9100 like this.
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

That's a lot of material. Hope they are good and I hope they air on a network I get.

3. Toons Fan

Toons Fan Member

Warner Bros. Animation has been making New Looney Tunes for Boomerang. So, I'm confused with this news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frontier likes this.
  4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

When I read the title, I had to sigh. Stop it, Warner Bros. Don't be so unoriginal.

But the synopsis made me interested. Perhaps this could be good. Maybe this is their reaction to Paul Rudnish' Mickey Mouse.

jaylop97 likes this.
  5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm really looking forward to this. Looney Tunes is one of my favorite cartoons of all time. It'll be nice to see all the different takes on the characters from various cartoonists!

Frontier and Fone Bone like this.
  6. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Putting the fun in funeral.

Ooh, this sounds neat. I love me some Looney Tunes and having the artists add their own spin on their shorts sounds interesting. Some shorts could be good, some could be bad, but that's just how it is.

#6 Gatordragon, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Frontier likes this.
  7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I see Peter Browngardt will be involved in this newer incarnation. It does seem like his area to work in a show with distinct story telling after Uncle Grandpa, I think he was a good choice to make a cartoon of this style. I can't wait to see what is in store.

Frontier likes this.
  8. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

According to Jerry Beck, this is to be somewhat akin to Fred Seibert's "The What-a-Cartoon Show" or "Oh Yeah! Cartoons" in production style. This could be fun!

I'm also hoping for audio post-production they get Robert Hargreaves and DigiPost.TV to do it, as they seem to have the complete classic Treg Brown WB sound effects library in their archives, compared to Advantage Audio and their H-B sound effects, or Audio Circus (remember how they made the Road Runner zoom along to H-B jet sound effects?)
    And if they have to have the animation done overseas (several "What-a-Cartoon" shorts did so as well), I hope they get Toon City Animation or Lotto Animation to do it, instead of just relying on Rough Draft Korea (though to be fair, for the second season of "New Looney Tunes" they dropped Rough Draft in favor of Snipple Animation, who turns out surprisingly good work.)

Frontier and superkeegan9100 like this.
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

10. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user & Cartoon analyst

Never thought Looney Tunes would go back to just plain old shorts after New Looney Tunes.

Frontier likes this.
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel like to some degree WB has been struggling with what exactly to do with the Looney Tunes brand in a modern age, but I think this sounds like the kind of "fresh," back-to-basics, approach that might really breathe some new life back into the franchise :).

Red Arrow :D likes this.
  12. Markus Nelis

Markus Nelis Member

Good to see something fresh. Definitely looking forward to to this.

Frontier likes this.
  13. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I hope this series turns out better than Wabbit/NLT, which I didn't care for.

WB tried to replicate Disney's Mickey Mouse shorts and failed. I think Peter Browngardt is the right choice to bring on board to this new series. If he can bring the energy that Uncle Grandpa had, then these shorts could be a better fit for the Looney Tunes.

I also like to hear that the new series will be storyboard-driven using multiple artists and styles. That could give them a lot more freedom that Wabbit/NLT seemed to lack.

Frontier likes this.
  14. Toons Fan

Toons Fan Member

Maybe, this is the real reason why New Looney Tunes is ending after it's 3rd Season.

Frontier and Fone Bone like this.
  15. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Man, talk about an ambitious project surrounding the Looney Tunes characters.

Fone Bone, Frontier and Toon4Thought like this.
  16. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

This greatly intrigues me. It's kind of odd we're hearing about this while New Looney Tunes - which is trying to accomplish something very similar - is still going on. However, while I think that falls kind of flat in some regards, especially in season 1, this has a far better chance at success. Not only are Warner Bros going more all out with the distribution, but the fact the writing is artist-driven already puts this at a pretty big advantage, as that was a large part of the original shorts' charm that is sadly missing from most attempts at bringing the franchise to a modern audience.

Fone Bone and Frontier like this.
  17. Toons Fan

Toons Fan Member

Matt Craig announced on his Facebook that New Looney Tunes is ending after it's upcoming 3rd season.

18. cristian12345678

jim soper(looney tunes cartoons 2019)

(italian cat)

19. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Hmm. Looks like WB Animation is trying to give the Paul Rudish Mickey shorts a run for their money.

Honestly, this news came out of nowhere and the fact that Warner Bros still cares about Looney Tunes enough to invest this much in the franchise nowadays is pretty remarkable. Glad to see Pete Browngardt has been doing well since Uncle Grandpa ended. The creator shorts centric episodes of UG always brought in a bunch of unique and fun styles, so I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

20. zlens

zlens Member

I have mixed feelings about this, in one hand I really like these characters and they deserve to stay in people's minds and don´t becoming faded memories. This art looks better that what they have done since the early 90s, but in the other hand, most modern animation, with some exceptions, leave me mostly unimpressed, specially most reboots, revivals and the like. I know there's potential to make wonderful stuff with these guys, but the thing is, ain´t seeing any yet other that Daffy's Rhapsody. I know its hard to top the vintage shorts, but it seems like they don't even try. Wabbit has like, a really good short in my humble opinión, the one with that female fox, (don't look at me like I´m a weirdo, I'm taking about the gags and story, not about her :) even if it has some pacing problems in the middle of the cartoon) and that's it. Don't let me start with that Looney Sitcom Show (the less said about it the better, it did have its moments but not enough to make a complete great short).

Besides, there's already new looney tunes shorts, they are called ¨New Looney Tunes¨ and those are already on TV, it seems they didn't make a big impression if not even the execs remember they just approve to made them.

The point is... Would kill the execs to just make new original characters for new cartoons, instead of dragging these old folks around? These characters are from a different time, the 90s revivals were more successful because the original shorts were still fresh to people and most folks didn´t think of them as replacements, now people would think of these new shorts as cheap substitutes, the classic shorts are tame in some aspects compared to today cartoons, but in others, there are many situations and the like, even some apparent minimal details, that made the cartoons as funny as they are, that in no way in heck would the execs let them use today.

Red Arrow :D likes this.