"Voltron: Legendary Defender" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Yi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Just finished the season and it was awesome. It some little twists here, and well things didn't go down they would. Don't want to go into detail yet. I will post on my full thoughts when you all feel enough time has pasted to talk about spoilers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just finished the second season yesterday. Like with the first season, I binged watch the whole thing in just a couple of days, although I felt like it took a bit longer for the show to get to that point where I just had to keep watching it. I'll cover my thoughts in the spoiler tags just so I don't spoil any major twists.

I thought that it started off pretty strong with the first episode. It showed how much Keith and Shiro really care about each other and I liked their relationship quite a bit. They had nice chemistry in the first season, but it got even better here. You can feel kind of a mentor and student vibe between them and you do feel that there is a deep connection between them. They even hugged each other when they were going on different missions to buildup to the finale, which I don't think Keith has done with any of the other characters. It made their connection more endearing and helped to make the ending more effective as a result.

I've heard some complaints about Coran's comedy bits during that wormhole subplot, but I thought that was hilarious, especially angst driven teenage Coran. They were all still in danger, but it provided some comedy relief. He still can be a bit much, but I thought he was a bit funnier in this season.

Lance and Hulk's episode was nice and showed Lance being a bit more competent. There was a nice twist with the queen also being a victim of brainwashing and it started the trend of the lions getting upgrades. Although, I think both of them suffered a lot characterization wise this season, especially Hulk. They've always been the comedy relief, but Lance had moments where he was more than that like when he was homesick, clearly missing his family or when he saved Coran. He at least had doubts about whether or not he was useful to the team, but that felt kind of minor given it was resolved within that same episode. Hulk was even worse when they kept making food jokes for him all the time. It was really annoying since it just felt like they're doing that because he's overweight, which is both insensitive and stupid. I wouldn't mind it so much if he had more moments to shine or show that he is still smart, like maybe more use of him as a good cook or planning things out without the gross out humor involved like when they were in the monster. It's especially a shame for Hulk when he did have a nice bit of character development in the previous season and while they didn't go backwards in that per say, it does feel like he's more one note than he should be. The same applies for Lance, who still lacks much of any focus compared to most of the other characters.

One could argue that Pidge was just the tech person, but I thought that her focus episode was one of the best ones in the season. It helped that the alien race was really cool and interesting too. They tied in with Pidge's whole technology is better than nature and they helped to unlock her lion's new weapon. Granted, it helps that Pidge is one of my favorite characters, but I still liked it all the same.

I liked the focus on Shiro throughout the season as well. It was good to see how exactly he got back to earth and it helped to show that there were Galra fighting against Zarkon as well. It seemed likely given the end to the previous season, but it was cool to see them help the main cast eventually too. I was so sure that Zarkon was tracking them down through Shiro's arm, but the Black Lion made a lot more sense given they established that Zarkon was the previous Paladin for it and he nearly took control back during the finale. It was cool to see Shiro fight back to weaken Zarkon's control and I liked that it came down to Shiro having more faith in a bond rather than just having power. Shiro defeating Zarkon even in a mental battle on his own wouldn't have worked out that well.

Keith had a bit more focus than he did in the previous season. He was still a pretty hot head, but it felt like there was a bit more of a reason behind it due to the blade and his concerns that he was Galra. I liked the episode where he went through the trial. It was intense, had a strong conflict with Keith having to decide between what he wants and his duties as a Paladin and it did show a bit more of the potential that Shiro saw in him before. I wasn't thrilled with how they handled the reveal that Keith has Galra blood in him though. It didn't come out of nowhere. There were hints in the first season and it felt like they were building up to it here, so that wasn't the problem. The issue was that they didn't really focus on that reveal before moving on with their plans. Keith wasn't shocked or horrified that he was someone part alien, we hardly saw any of the other Paladins reacting to the news aside from Hulk teasing him during their mission and the main focus was on how Allura could barely look at him for awhile. I can understand not focusing too much of the other characters' reactions. Most of them wouldn't hold that against Keith, especially Shiro and Pidge, and Allura's reaction made sense too given what the Galra did to her people, but it felt way too lackluster after all that buildup and how fans have been speculating on Keith being Galra since the first season ended.

There were more team splitting up episodes than I thought we'd get, but they generally worked out given that it allowed for some other character dynamics to be fleshed out. I liked how Keith's lion would often come to his rescue. I don't know if that's because of their strong bond or if it's because of Keith being part Galra given that the only other example of a lion and Paladin being connected from a far distance is with Zarkon. The new character Shiro's group rescued was pretty annoying, but I did get a laugh from Shiro losing his cool and he fortunately didn't get much attention.

Allura herself was such a strong leader throughout the season. She was consumed by understandable anger and distrust towards the Galra for a good chuck of it, but throughout the season, she tried her best to lead the group and works towards defeating Zarkon. She was especially impressive during the finale with her fighting skills and I do like her quite a bit.

Shiro's comment on how the universe wouldn't need Voltron after Zarkon was defeated was really weird. I understand why that came up. They wanted to give the impression that this could be their final battle and they could return to their own lives, but that doesn't make sense. Voltron existed before Zarkon took over the universe. It's why there were legends of Voltron in the first place. Plus, defeating the evil head doesn't mean all influences end there. There are still followers who would try to take over or just new threats to the universe. Zarkon is obviously the biggest threat right now, but to act like they wouldn't be needed after he was defeated just seemed really strange. The universe would always need Voltron.

The finale itself was quite good. There was a lot of action pack scenes and I was really worried that Allura had died during one scene. Zarkon was even more dangerous with that robot and nearly took them down. The twist with that female Galra was a surprise and does make me wonder what did happen to Allura's people. That fight showdown between Voltron and Zarkon was pretty intense and it really came down to the wire.

Shiro disappearing at the end was pretty sad, but I kind of saw it coming. They were laying on the foreshadowing that something would happen to Shiro pretty thick throughout the season. They needed something to happen so that Keith could take leadership duties. Granted, he still seems a bit too hot-headed to be the leader for me, but there is some potential in there to make it work. Fortunately, I doubt that Shiro will be gone for good. They need someone to control the Black Lion in order to form Voltron and I don't see them introducing a new character just for that. A key aspect of this season was Shiro strengthening the bond with his lion in order to prevent Zarkon from finding them. He was even able to get his weapon back from Zarkon in the finale, indicating that Zarkon's hold over the Black Lion was completely broken. Now Allura taking up duties until Shiro returns could work, but it is kind of important that she fights in the castle. I'm sure that they'll have Shiro gone long enough for Keith to become a better leader, but at the same time, I don't think that they'd replace him for good given that he just upgraded his lion. I am curious about how they'll handle that in the next season.

Overall, it was a pretty good season. I think I do prefer the first season though. This one was still good, but I feel like it took a bit longer to really get going, some of the characters were significantly weaker and there were some disappointing aspects to it. It was overall pretty good and enjoyable to watch. I do hope that Netflix orders more episodes and we'll get news about future seasons in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zoombie

Well

I thought the way they wrapped up Allura's Galra predigest arc was very clever, did not see the coming. It is not though learning to accept a Galra can be good, no it is not through learning one of her people can be evil. Yup that is quite a way to learn the lesson.

Keith getting some focus I am glad to see that, is his mom a Galra, just her side of the family. He could only be 1/10th Galra for all we know.

Shiro if he is going to die soon, he is going out with a bang, I still don't think they will kill him, they might write him off and make us and all the characters think he is dead for a while, but that is it.

But if Shiro goes, would they rework the Lion lineup, perhaps Keith can take the Black lion, and Allura the red lion.

Of all the episodes, episode 2 might be a favorite episode, I loved the mermaid episode, it was so much fun.

We have a new villain next season, this prince character, you don't suppose like in the old series, Hagar is his mom. Speaking of Hagar, I am surprised how much emotion she showed in Zarkon's death.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that was necessarily what they were going for. Allura thought that she and Coran were the only surviving members of their race left, so she was shocked to see that one of her people was fighting against her. That didn't make her suddenly realize that her own people can be evil. If anything, I thought her scene with Keith and working along side the other Galra during the fight were what allowed for her to deal with her anger towards Galra. I think that she was too shocked to really understand anything else during that moment. And just because her people can be evil doesn't mean that she'll be able to get over her issues with Galra. Aside from her anger towards Keith, I thought that her distrust were pretty understandable. The Galra did destroy her planet and she lost everything because of them. That would make anyone feel uncomfortable with Galra, even if they claimed that they wanted to help. There are some wounds that you can't really recover from.

It's hard to say for Keith since his past seems to be a blank for him. Although, the fact that we didn't see his mother during that metal illusion was rather telling, so she could be Galra. As for Shiro, I'm sure that they've just written him off for awhile. Like I said before, they need to give time for Keith to become the leader, but I don't think that they'd kill of Shiro for that. I've heard that his character died in the original Voltron series, but he seems too fleshed out and established as the team's leader for that to work here. I don't think Keith would need to use the Black Lion in order to become the leader. He seems pretty connected to the Red Lion to just change around. If anything, Allura taking over the Black Lion would make more sense, even though I'm not sure if they'd go in that direction myself.

Was Zarkon dead? I just assumed that he was on live support or something and she was calling for the prince in order to take command for the time being.

5. zoombie

Maybe Allura did learn her lesson though experience Keith and successfully teaming up with the rebels, but the explanation point, making sure she never falls back is the Hager reveal. I don't think she can ever think that same way again. But that is just my opinion.

Weather Zarkon is dead or not, he is out of the picture for a while. Is the prince who I think he is from the old show, I hate this guy. If I remember correctly he had a little thing for Allura, or maybe I am confusing him with someone else.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While I'm sure that the reveal is going to weigh heavily for Allura, I don't think for the reasons you're implying here. It shows that there are at least some of her people still alive and teamed up with the Galra. She thought that her race was gone, but if there is someone within the Galra empire that is from her race, then that could mean that there are others out there as well. That's what I took from the reveal at least. Not thinking the same way about the Galra afterwards would make sense if this was about thinking highly of her own race when comparing them to Galra, but it wasn't. She was focused on what the Galra race in general has done to the universe, her planet and her life. Simply seeing one of her people fighting with Zarkon doesn't really change that. It will hopefully be dealt with more in the next season, but I really doubt that is what they were going for.

And I don't really like the idea that Allura was at fault here because of his anger either. In some cases, she was, such as with instantly hating Keith despite all they've gone through as a team up to that point just because he has Galra blood in him. She was a bit harsh with the Rebels, but I'd find that more understandable given that what she's been through. Being distrustful towards a race that destroyed her world and taken over the universe really isn't a character flaw, at least up to a certain point. Her anger and distrust was pretty justified, so acting as if she was in the wrong for most of that arc does kind of rub me the wrong way.

I have heard about the prince who had a crush on Allura in the original series. I don't know how or if they'll use that angel for the new season. I still hope that we get word on a new season sooner rather than later.

7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Okay, Andrea Romano, please cast these choices for Season 3 --

• Matthew Mercer as Prince Lotar
    • Grey Griffin as Queen Merla
    • Max Charles as Bandor
    • April Winchell as Nanny
    • Laura Bailey as Romelle
    • Clancy Brown as Viceroy Throk
    • James Arnold Taylor as Wolo

8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's awesome news. September feels so far away, but at least that's some update on the series. It's nice to see that it is so popular on Netflix too. Hopefully, that will allow for Netflix to fund more animated series, especially more action driven shows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just noticed the flyer also said "78 episode commitment", so it's nice knowing they'll be more episodes for the next couple of years

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

I know I'm a little late commenting on this but Its kinda weird how scrawny Lance and Keith looked in the pool scene, hell I expected Keith at least to have Symbionic Titan's Lance Physique

12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I generally like the show and how it's rewritten the Voltron mythos. That said, I think it uses way too much comedy that it almost becomes deflating and insufferable. I can't stand Coran in this show.

Generally, I'm fine with how they've re-envisioned the characters and reinvented them. I like the world-building with a couple exceptions. I like things like "Vrepit Sa." Stuff like that.

13. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

14. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

What's the deal with this Blackmail business

15. jenrya

jenrya New Member

I feel this has been a huge improvement on the original Voltron series I was a little worried they would kill Shiro off early in the series and have Allura be the new lion pilot. I'm glad they didn't because she has been more developed and has a better role than she ever had as a lion pilot.

16. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Voltron Legendary Defender season three releases on August 4th with 7 episodes followed by season four in October with 6 episodes!

17. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

So basically they split one season of animation up into two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I keep forgetting that a new season is starting tomorrow. It does sound like they split one regular season into two for some reason, but I'm okay with that since we get some new episodes tomorrow and then some more in just a couple of months. The trailers have been pretty good and I'm excited to see what happens in this season. It looks like I'll be binge watching Voltron this weekend and the shorter amount of episodes should make it easier to go through the season in a day or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Draco Dracul

Draco Dracul New Member

It might even be splitting 1 season into 3 or 4 parts, because I think the first two seasons were actually a single order of 26, which is why they had such a quick turnaround for season 2. As for why they are doing it, I'm guessing it's to make it easier for people to remember it's around by giving more frequent releases. It's almost like meeting the bomb format the networks have been doing from the other end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. zoombie

Just saw episodes 1 - 2 and just wanted to say I love Prince Lotar and his team. And Cherami Leigh's in the cast, that is awesome even though her name is not in the credits, I know her voice when I hear it.

• Like Like x 1