"Vixen" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 13, 2016.

?

"Vixen" - Discuss and Rate the Second Season!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Use this thread to discuss the second season of the Vixen animated web-series, connected to the CW Universe live-action shows like Arrow, The Flash and DC's Legends of Tomorrow! New episodes debuting weekly on the CW Seed!

[​IMG]
    Vixen - "Trial by Fire"
    Network
    : The CW Seed
    Debut: October 13th, 2016
    New episodes premiering on Fridays starting next week

Synopsis: Originally from Africa, Mari McCabe's (voiced by Megalyn Echikunwoke) parents were killed by local greed, corruption, and wanton violence. But the orphaned Mari refuses to succumb to the terrors surrounding her. Inheriting her family's Tantu Totem, Mari can access the powers of animals—anything from the super-strength of a gorilla to the speed of a cheetah. As Vixen, she fights valiantly to protect the world from the threats like those that claimed her family.

On her journeys, she’ll pay Green Arrow (Stephen Amell) and the Flash (Grant Gustin) a visit. She’ll also encounter a few new friends, including the Atom (Brandon Routh), Firestorm (Franz Drameh) and Black Canary (Katie Cassidy).

Based on characters from DC Comics, Vixen is produced by Blue Ribbon Content and Warner Bros. Animation, with executive producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Andrew Kriesberg. The writing staff consists of Lauren Certo, Nolan Dunbar and Sarah Tarkoff.

Discuss this animated series!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant threads and links:
    "Vixen" Animated Series News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)
    "Vixen" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

"DC's Legends of Tomorrow" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)
    "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)
    "The Flash (2014)" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)
    "The Flash (2014)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Arrow" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Arrow" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Watch Season One of "Vixen" on the CW Seed
    *Note: The 6 episodes from Season One are combined into a single half-hour episode.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Episode 1 is live. 6 minutes, 23 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty solid premier for season 2, and I especially appreciated the longer running time, and it's great to see Vixen back in action in her show :cool:

Interesting that they kept the flash-forward element from season one, this time showcasing Vixen facing off against the apparent season 2 Big Bad Eshu, who seems to have gotten a hold of the fire Totem and knew Mari's mother :ack:.

It's nice to see the creators expanding on the mythology of Vixen and the Totems, by establishing that there's more then one and that each controls a specific element (though I feel like they were kind of stretching it with "spirit"). It feels almost Power Ranger-ish, with their being guardians for each Totem and master of their respective element ;).

I wonder if the arc for this season will be Vixen having to find each of the other Totems before Eshu does :eek:?

I'm glad we got to see Mari finally confront McCallister after he sold her out to Kuasa, and see him making the typical pitiful excuses for his actions. He's lucky she didn't just walk straight up to him and punch him :p.

Cisco definitely does not have Carlos Valdez's complexion on this show :sweat:.

It's cool seeing that the Arrowverse heroes are able to mobilize themselves for major threats like this. and it's neat seeing Mari teaming-up with and interacting with her fellow heroes :).

I wonder what the heck Weather Wizard was doing just attacking a random city. The one time he tried to destroy Central City, it was to get revenge on Joe West for killing Clyde, his brother, but here he's just apparently trying to destroy Monument Point for...fun? I am also curious when this takes place relative to Mardon's appearance in Flash season 2 o_O.

Barry Allen's been taking care of evil tornado's since day one :D.

Poor Monument Point :crying:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Granted it's just the first episode, expanding on the Zambesi history could get convoluted if they don't watch it. Now there's 5 totems and 5 tribes from Zambesi instead of 1 and all that. They couldn't have all been forgotten if Kuasa was chosen as a child in the ~90s to inherit the Tantu Totem and the warlords wanted it... Strange Macalester didn't mention Anansi made the totems for being worshiped (that part of was implied with the man praying I guess).

Hopefully the totems all get named. Going by the Orisha lore in mythology and Firestorm Volume 2 late #90s issues, I'd guess
    • Jakuta Totem after a warrior of living stone and earth
    • Adiremi Totem after a personification of wind
    • Erinle Totem after a living flame
    • Ochun Totem after a personification of body of water
    Also glad they included Mari confronting Macalester. Then him trying to weasel out of his guilt.

The Monument Point scene was a nice nod to the overall theme of the totems and their elemental powers because this battle was also a battle of elements with Flash, Firestorm, and Weather Wizard in the mix. Pretty cool hearing Flash make a callback to his pilot episode.

Another Young Justice re-use, this time with Happy Harbor High. lol.

I bet Eshu is one of those people Kuasa alluded to allying with to keep Zambesi "safe" last season. And the rest will find the other totems soon enough this season.

I thought Power Rangers as well. I guess Anansi is their Zordon. lol.

Er, he was standing under a really bright lamp.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty solid premiere for the 2nd season. It's cool they're continuing to explore the mythology of the Totems, looking forward to learning more about that.

The team-up between Vixen and all the other heroes was pretty awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I kind'a wish they didn't show one scene with the confrontation between Vixen and the big bad at the beginning, kind'a sets the audience off.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Looking back on season 1's flashbacks and unanswered questions in conjunction with Eshu's cryptic statement, I'm betting after Jean fled M'Changa with Mari and the Tantu Totem she turned to Eshu for help getting someplace safe. He agreed to help in exchange for the totem but at some point Jean turned Mari and the totem to a random orphanage in Detroit and went on the run...only for Eshu to capture and probably have her killed when she wouldn't reveal where the totem was.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Episode 2 is up. 5 minutes or so.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not much really happened but it's cool we're already catching up to where the story began last week. It was also pretty cool seeing Mari use more of her powers while chasing and interrogating Drake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was kinda disappointed that we just jumped to Mari in the hospital rather then see her recover mid-battle or get any real conclusion to the Weather Wizard fight :sad:.

It was nice to see Chuck again, still worrying about his daughter :).

So Mari's no longer going for fashion design? I wonder if that's because she's effectively become a full-time Superhero as Vixen? I guess it would be tough to balance a career and being a Superhero while also dealing with the public identity that her lack of a mask gains her :ack:.

Cool seeing Vixen using various animals to chase down that crook :cool:.

Animation felt a little clunkier then usual though....

Well, we got to the present day quicker then I expected, though I guess it serves the limited amount of time this series has to work with :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

So... she was out for 2 weeks in the hospital? And coincidentally right after the Fire Totem got stolen?

This one was a let down after the premiere because all this was episode was padding time. Groan worthy to see a couple YJ recycled designs in one episode. lol. Luckily, next episode looks like more action with this Eshu person vs. Vixen. Or more cryptic statements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was just thinking to myself, "Is that Hugo Strange's younger and more attractive twin brother?" :p.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nope, just roof pizza now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Jones. He sure made one fine gumbo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought Jones was a bearded Doctor Sivana from Justice League: Gods & Monsters. :sweat:

As cool as the team-up between Mari and the other heroes was last week, I could have done without it if it meant these two episodes were merged into only one. The team-up didn't even show us a decent conclusion. Unless they mean to keep switching between time-frames and show us Mari's fights with Eshu and Weather Wizard for the rest of the season. :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Could be. Like with Arrow and Flash chasing Mari last season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think we've seen just about all we're going to get as far as that Weather Wizard fight is concerned, at least in regards to Mari's involvements :ack:.

I guess we just have to assume that Flash was able to stop him after Mardon was distracted fighting Vixen, or that Professor Stein and Jax were able to reunite as Firestorm to help Barry out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Episode 3 is up.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The first fight between Mari and Eshu was shorter than I expected. But still cool.

Neat seeing Kuasa again and some more details about the flashbacks from the first season. Using the Water Totem to fight the Fire Totem makes sense.

So we're already halfway through the season, wonder how they'll wrap things up this time. I'm guessing not all of the Totems will be found.

• Agree Agree x 1