Viacom and CBS may remerge

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Should Viacom and CBS merge again?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

PinkiePie97

Staff member
Aug 14, 2015
Ratings
4,840 40
Massachusetts
cartoon-info-blog.blogspot.com
In this case, Nick On CBS might come back! I grew up with that block...
I doubt it. Saturday mornings on networks aren't what they were 10 years ago. Plus, I don't think it matters if Viacom and CBS are the same or not since they aired the TV premiere of It's a SpongeBob Christmas in 2012.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
296 14
Newington, CT, USA
"Make up their minds"? It's been quite a long time since they split apart. It's not like kept going back and forth on it or anything. Still, the DVDs of the four Peanuts come from both companies, though CBS owns the first two (they released by Cinema Center Films, the CBS's short lived movie division), while Viacom owns the last two (they were released by Paramount).

One thing is certain, if this does happen, this could mean that "CBS Television Distribution" could go back to being "Paramount [Domestic] Television", which would mean Viacom would have a TV division again (not counting their cable networks, including the ones that used to make up "MTV Networks").

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Ratings
576 9
Earth Two
"Make up their minds"? It's been quite a long time since they split apart. It's not like kept going back and forth on it or anything. Still, the DVDs of the four Peanuts come from both companies, though CBS owns the first two (they released by Cinema Center Films, the CBS's short lived movie division), while Viacom owns the last two (they were released by Paramount).

One thing is certain, if this does happen, this could mean that "CBS Television Distribution" could go back to being "Paramount [Domestic] Television", which would mean Viacom would have a TV division again (not counting their cable networks, including the ones that used to make up "MTV Networks").

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
They technically do have Paramount Television again.

Magmaster12

Dec 31, 2013
Ratings
660 3
This is common in business usually it's just so the people in charge can now be on top of there previous bosses. Also this makes the formation of CBS Films even more pointless.

Before you know it Time Warner Cable will merge with Comcast then reabsorb Time Warner whose good standing with CBS leads to a merger leaving only a monopoly. I know that idea is crazy but Clintons have a history of allowing mergers.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Mar 11, 2005
Ratings
1,468 8
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
Before you know it Time Warner Cable will merge with Comcast
Nope. Charter already acquired TWC a few months ago. Comcast won't be getting its hands on it.

then reabsorb Time Warner whose good standing with CBS leads to a merger leaving only a monopoly.
I'm sorry... Whose good standing with CBS? Time Warner? Comcast? What are you talking about? None of these companies have anything to do with each other.

I know that idea is crazy but Clintons have a history of allowing mergers.
No, it's crazy because it doesn't make any sense. You mentioned four separate companies who have no connection with each other somehow causing a sudden "monopoly."

Never mind the fact that competitors like Fox and Disney exist, so it wouldn't be a monopoly, anyway.

Magmaster12

Dec 31, 2013
Ratings
660 3
No, it's crazy because it doesn't make any sense. You mentioned four separate companies who have no connection with each other somehow causing a sudden "monopoly."

Never mind the fact that competitors like Fox and Disney exist, so it wouldn't be a monopoly, anyway.
I was pretty much just unleashing my crazy I wasn't being serious.

Lord Dalek

Uncreative Hack
Aug 17, 2003
Ratings
Dalek Empire
Visit site
Sumner Redstone is currently on his deathbed. It's his heirs/corporate successors making these decisions.

Really though that split hasn't been very beneficial to either company. CBS' other business ventures (CBS Films, their attempt to get back into the record biz after selling Columbia to Sony in the late 80's, etc.) haven't been well received, and Paramount's bleeding money left and right.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
296 14
Newington, CT, USA
Personally, I don't think the split has anything to do with it (necessarily). I think what hasn't been beneficial is making shows (which will remain nameless) that focus more on trying to appease/appeal/relate to certain (groups of) people in the short term at the expense of their actual potential, as well as at the expense of all the other viewers, and now it's coming back to haunt them. I just think that the good viewers have either gotten tired of it, or have gotten wise to what's been going on.

Anyhow, Les Moonves, the guy that runs CBS has stated that they're "not in active discussions" to merge back into Viacom. So it may or may not be a moot point anyway. We'll just have to wait and see.

From what I remember CBS was spun off from Viacom to create a "two-speed" Viacom. Viacom was for the high growth new media division, Interactive, multichannel Television and Movies, CBS on the other-hand was for old media such as network television, outdoor advertising and book publishing. The company was split to give investors a choice between a low risk and high risk investment, to protect the profitable parts of their business from weaker performing parts and to identify and reform the poorly performing part of the company while still making the successful part profitable.

The company didn't demerge as such because National Amusements (owners of the Showcase cinema chain) is the majority shareholder for both (basically functioning like a holding company).

News Corporation did a similar thing, new media, satellite television and movies was split into 21st Century Fox and News Corp for old media and high risk investments such as Newspapers. TimeWarner has done the same thing, they've spun of Time Publishing.

Last edited:

sasq

Oct 5, 2015
Ratings
282 7
Italy
Source: CNN

Shares in Viacom and CBS jumped Friday after a report that the sibling media companies might be reunited once again.
Such a move could give a lift to Viacom, which has been struggling to impress investors. But there are no signs of any imminent announcement.

The Wrap reported shortly before the market closed on Friday that "Viacom and CBS vice-chairwoman Shari Redstone is pursuing a merger of the two media companies." The story cited "multiple insiders."

Shares in both companies were basically flat until the story came out. Shares in Viacom (VIA)closed at $33.76, up 9.57% for the day. CBS (CBS) closed at $58.83, up 1.85%.

Redstone and senior executives have, indeed, recently discussed recombining the two companies, two sources with knowledge of the talks, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the companies are not commenting on them, told CNN.

Redstone is inclined to make the move. But no concrete steps in that direction have been taken, the sources said.

One of the sources said there are no "active" discussions underway.

Shari and her father Sumner Redstone control National Amusements, a holding company that holds most of the voting stock in both CBS and Viacom.

The two companies split in 2005, six years after they had merged.

There has been repeated talk about a recombination in the years since. But as recently as last year, Shari Redstone said that a merger would have squashed Viacom's "momentum."

CBS is widely seen as the stronger of the two companies. But there have been long-standing questions about whether CBS CEO Les Moonves would want to take on Viacom and run the two companies -- and on what terms he would do so.

Redstone said at a Recode event last spring, "I have a great relationship with Les, and I think that we would have worked really well together on a combined company."

TheWrap reported on Friday that Moonves "is now open to the possibility."

CBS and Viacom representatives declined to comment on Friday. A spokesperson for Redstone did not respond to a request for comment.