"Venom" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,151 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I can definitely see Hardy as Brock. He's got the build and the acting chops to pull him off. So, on that front, pretty strong casting :cool:.

It's also kind of funny to see him go from playing Bane to playing Venom :p.

A shame we probably won't get to see him play off Holland though :(.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
The article really shouldn't call it a Spinoff since obviously this isn't going to have anything to do with the MCU and will take place in a Sonyverse where maybe Venom of all things is the cataylst for other Spider Man related characters and situations. It's not a bad choice since though the Bane voice was rather goofy that wasn't really Tom's fault and he provided a lot of strength in that role which you need as Venom that Topher Grace didn't really have. Plus with stuff like Dark Knight Rises and even Mad Max Fury Road Tom doesn't mind his face being covered for a good portion of screentime so we hopefully won't get as many stupid "take away the symobite just to see the actor's face when they're suppose to be full Venom" moments as Spider Man 3.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,318 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I wonder how they're going to handle Hardy as Venom? A practical suit or motion-capture? Maybe even a mixture of both o_O?
Hmm, I think that may depend on the design logic of the symbiote suit. For like talk scenes, will the suit be just static like a regular costume or will it always be dynamic and shifting/oozing?

Hardy wearing that green suit with the globes all over is instant meme material.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,151 46
Sherman Oaks CA
Hmm, I think that may depend on the design logic of the symbiote suit. For like talk scenes, will the suit be just static like a regular costume or will it always be dynamic and shifting/oozing?

Hardy wearing that green suit with the globes all over is instant meme material.
Well, if they're true to the comics then he'll definitely need to at least talk through the suit and not just have his face pop up like Topher did.

So the face and mouth will have to be able to move and emote, outside the tongue obviously :rolleyes2:.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Ratings
2,292 92
Cartoon Headquarters
I'm super hyped about this. Glad it's finally happening. Potential is huge. Fingers crossed. And no, we don't need Spiderman in this. Better they ignore him and give Venom all the room he needs. Especially when the current live Spiderman wouldn't stand a chance against him.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Ratings
481 2
I'm super hyped about this. Glad it's finally happening. Potential is huge. Fingers crossed. And no, we don't need Spiderman in this. Better they ignore him and give Venom all the room he needs. Especially when the current live Spiderman wouldn't stand a chance against him.
Yeah, but if they can't have Spidey, then they have to revise the origin story for the film.

You'll be disappointed if this turns out to be Catwoman because I've had enough of Sony continuing their spin-off plans and that the film rights should be fully reverted back to Marvel. I can't picture this without Spidey.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,151 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I don't know, when Venom's motivations and identity are kinda defined by Spider-Man, it feels weird to think of them as wholly separate entities that will never crossover with each other.

Heck, Holland's Spidey could use a villain who he could actually punch...

Greg91

Reporter
Dec 30, 2013
Ratings
1,765 5
Canada
We've seen plenty of Venom solo stories in the comics so I can imagine a Venom movie without Spider-Man to be honest. I'm not saying I want that, but I can imagine it much more than other people seem to be able to.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,151 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I think you can do a story with Venom without Spider-Man, but at the same time Spider-Man is important part of Venom's origin and motivations as well as being a major antagonist to Spidey, so the writers are probably going to have to come up with a lot of original material to make this a cohesive work without involving Spider-Man.

I'm wondering how they're going to explain away Venom's spider-logo and web-slinging :sweat:?

Greg91

Reporter
Dec 30, 2013
Ratings
1,765 5
Canada
That's the thing; do they need to remove the spider-logo and web-slinging? They could leave it in and not explain anything or come up with some minor explanation like the symbiote has spider like qualities.

I think people need to open their mind to the possibilities of how they tackle this character without Spider-Man. Again, I'm not defending the choice not to include Spider-Man, but it's totally possible to change some things and yet the character will still feel like Venom. I'm just glad this isn't Venom's first movie appearance and it's without Spider-Man. I'd be more upset if that was the case.

I'm open to seeing how this turns out after Tom Hardy was cast. Before that, I wanted Sony to let this movie go for now, but I have an open mind.