1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming "Star Wars" Feature Films Pre-Release News & Discussion Part Two (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Yojimbo, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

So I guess that we're officially moving away from numbering the movies (I only say that it's still going because the new saga movies are numbered in the opening crawl) and really making Star Wars into a giant series of expanded universe movies, with multiple different storylines and likely set in multiple different timelines. I don't know how I feel about that. There's going to be two concurrent trilogies, plus a whole bunch of spinoff movies. I guess that's good.... but remember when a Star Wars movie was an event? Or let me rephrase, because they still are, so let me say that we should get ready to remember when a Star Wars movie was an event. As bad as Phantom Menace was, I must say that I loved the buildup to it. Was it overblown and disappointing? Sure. But it sure was fun. Same for Force Awakens, though at least that movie was good. I've liked a lot of what Disney is doing with Star Wars, but this was kind of what I was afraid they were going to do. I don't want a Star Wars movie every year, I was fine waiting for one every three years. Though I'm being very idealistic, and you can't stop business.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It can definitely be argued they run the risk of diluting the brand. Three sets of movies - mainline episodes, spin offs, and this new one, 'prequel' CG animated series, webisodes, streaming TV shows of unknown number, novels, various comic books from Marvel -- have I missed anything?

3. PF9

PF9 Active Member

I have a question regarding the 2008 Clone Wars movie. According to Amazon WB still owns distribution rights. Will Disney get those rights later on?

4. Zeether

Zeether HASSHA!!

I stopped being interested in that trilogy news when I saw "Game of Thrones writers". As someone who cannot stand that series and the constant misery/edginess I don't see a Star Wars from them being anything but that, unless Disney makes them move away from that tone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

From production of the recent movies, it's on the nose that Disney are helicopter parents so I don't think they'll let them stray too far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Disney went out of their way to make sure that the recent Star Wars films appealed to both genders, so I doubt they'd jeopardize that now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

This. It seems people in Hollywood can only fall upward. Game of Thrones sucks.

8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I have not watched GoT, but this is purportedly set in the distant past of the Star Wars universe. If they can mold something of the Old Republic era, then I'd be interested to see where that goes.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's relief I'm not the only one. :)

10. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

3/3: Kinberg reported to be writing an upcoming SW movie. He's been long rumored to write the Boba Fett one.

3/6: Serkis revealed Lucasfilm does have a back story in place for Snoke. He did add Snoke's scars and deformities have to do with previous battles and are a sort of decay; the scars are affecting his recovery and his body's started to break down, plus he's a couple hundred years old. But Serkis was asked not to shed anything should Snoke be brought back in some capacity (the next animated series?).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. the greenman

Mark my words; if he succeeds with Dark Phoenix, Kennedy will allow him to direct that film.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

14. the greenman

I'm probably a little hesitant on this. The only thing that I want are new style aliens, and preferably with the Force.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

16. the greenman

Well, Ridley's comment upon who her parents were, " I thought it was obvious" in Ep 7.

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4/4: And if Abrams reveals it in IX, people will cry retcon. But I think it's left open ended in VIII -- because Kylo isn't the most reliable character and he was goading her into joining him by making her think her past was worth letting die like the Jedi, Sith, Resisitance, etc - not necessarily revealing the truth. Always seemed like she was the granddaughter of Kenobi, sent to Jakku to prevent her from being found by the First Order like with Luke being sent to Tattoine. Though I've only seen the movies, no clue if they ever explored Kenobi having a child between III and IV in the other media.

4/24: Ehrenreich confirms he has a 3 movie deal.

5/16: Kennedy thinks a Lando spinoff movie is next then a Solo sequel.

• Like Like x 1