Upcoming "Star Wars" Feature Films Pre-Release News & Discussion Part Two (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
644 2
Canada
So I guess that we're officially moving away from numbering the movies (I only say that it's still going because the new saga movies are numbered in the opening crawl) and really making Star Wars into a giant series of expanded universe movies, with multiple different storylines and likely set in multiple different timelines. I don't know how I feel about that. There's going to be two concurrent trilogies, plus a whole bunch of spinoff movies. I guess that's good.... but remember when a Star Wars movie was an event? Or let me rephrase, because they still are, so let me say that we should get ready to remember when a Star Wars movie was an event. As bad as Phantom Menace was, I must say that I loved the buildup to it. Was it overblown and disappointing? Sure. But it sure was fun. Same for Force Awakens, though at least that movie was good. I've liked a lot of what Disney is doing with Star Wars, but this was kind of what I was afraid they were going to do. I don't want a Star Wars movie every year, I was fine waiting for one every three years. Though I'm being very idealistic, and you can't stop business.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,995 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
It can definitely be argued they run the risk of diluting the brand. Three sets of movies - mainline episodes, spin offs, and this new one, 'prequel' CG animated series, webisodes, streaming TV shows of unknown number, novels, various comic books from Marvel -- have I missed anything?

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
128 11
Ohio
I have a question regarding the 2008 Clone Wars movie. According to Amazon WB still owns distribution rights. Will Disney get those rights later on?

Sep 4, 2010
Ratings
Florida
I stopped being interested in that trilogy news when I saw "Game of Thrones writers". As someone who cannot stand that series and the constant misery/edginess I don't see a Star Wars from them being anything but that, unless Disney makes them move away from that tone.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,995 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I stopped being interested in that trilogy news when I saw "Game of Thrones writers". As someone who cannot stand that series and the constant misery/edginess I don't see a Star Wars from them being anything but that, unless Disney makes them move away from that tone.
From production of the recent movies, it's on the nose that Disney are helicopter parents so I don't think they'll let them stray too far.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,262 4
Framingham, MA
This. It seems people in Hollywood can only fall upward. Game of Thrones sucks.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,995 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
3/3: Kinberg reported to be writing an upcoming SW movie. He's been long rumored to write the Boba Fett one.

3/6: Serkis revealed Lucasfilm does have a back story in place for Snoke. He did add Snoke's scars and deformities have to do with previous battles and are a sort of decay; the scars are affecting his recovery and his body's started to break down, plus he's a couple hundred years old. But Serkis was asked not to shed anything should Snoke be brought back in some capacity (the next animated series?).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,995 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Well, Ridley's comment upon who her parents were, " I thought it was obvious" in Ep 7.
4/4: And if Abrams reveals it in IX, people will cry retcon. But I think it's left open ended in VIII -- because Kylo isn't the most reliable character and he was goading her into joining him by making her think her past was worth letting die like the Jedi, Sith, Resisitance, etc - not necessarily revealing the truth. Always seemed like she was the granddaughter of Kenobi, sent to Jakku to prevent her from being found by the First Order like with Luke being sent to Tattoine. Though I've only seen the movies, no clue if they ever explored Kenobi having a child between III and IV in the other media.

4/24: Ehrenreich confirms he has a 3 movie deal.

5/16: Kennedy thinks a Lando spinoff movie is next then a Solo sequel.

6/11: Bergman confirmed Johnson's trilogy has all new characters and everything is new.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
644 2
Canada
4/4: And if Abrams reveals it in IX, people will cry retcon. But I think it's left open ended in VIII -- because Kylo isn't the most reliable character and he was goading her into joining him by making her think her past was worth letting die like the Jedi, Sith, Resisitance, etc - not necessarily revealing the truth. Always seemed like she was the granddaughter of Kenobi, sent to Jakku to prevent her from being found by the First Order like with Luke being sent to Tattoine. Though I've only seen the movies, no clue if they ever explored Kenobi having a child between III and IV in the other media.

4/24: Ehrenreich confirms he has a 3 movie deal.

5/16: Kennedy thinks a Lando spinoff movie is next then a Solo sequel.

6/11: Bergman confirmed Johnson's trilogy has all new characters and everything is new.
I really hope that they don't retcon the reveal of Rey's parents, I actually loved that twist. I was dreading finding out that Obi-Wan was her father, or something like that. This is a giant galaxy, and her parents just happen to be people that we know already? For me, the fact that her parents were insignificant makes her even more interesting. And remember, Kylo didn't exactly tell her who her parents were, he got her to accept the truth that she already knew. For me, it mirrored Vader telling Luke to "search your feelings, you know it (the fact Vader is his father) to be true."

Dreyfus

Oct 18, 2009
Ratings
CA
I still want them to reverse the parent thing. I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams intended something different than what we got in the last movie. I always thought it would be that Rey was Han and Leia's second child, kept secret and hidden away to protect her from being hunted down by her brother. That would have been interesting, the two of them realizing that they were brother and sister, but The Last Jedi pretty much ruined that idea.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,262 4
Framingham, MA
I really hope that they don't retcon the reveal of Rey's parents, I actually loved that twist. I was dreading finding out that Obi-Wan was her father, or something like that. This is a giant galaxy, and her parents just happen to be people that we know already? For me, the fact that her parents were insignificant makes her even more interesting. And remember, Kylo didn't exactly tell her who her parents were, he got her to accept the truth that she already knew. For me, it mirrored Vader telling Luke to "search your feelings, you know it (the fact Vader is his father) to be true."
I agree. I love stuff like that. Most of the things the hardcore Star Wars fans seem to hate The Last Jedi for are the precise things that make it awesome. I love that movie.