Unpopular Opinions

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
Ratings
1,176 3
U.S.A.
Here's a thread where you can talk about the things that everybody seems to love, but you can't stand or think are overrated. Or, conversely, all the things that people hate, but you love or think are unjustifiably scorned. In short, opinions that don't exactly fit the mold of the majority.

And yeah, let's try to keep it limited to media and entertainment. No religion or politics.

So, to start things off:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - I hated, hated, hated, HATED this movie! Nothing but a self-indulgent asinine teenage fantasy. The only good thing I can say about it is that there were a few funny jokes (and the Ferris Beuller fan theory, which, if true, would actually be kinda cool).

Almost Famous - I don't know exactly the reason, but I could not stand Kate Hudson's character. Every time she was on screen I wanted to punch her in the face. The rest of the movie is good, but Kate Hudson ruined it for me.

Mad Men - Watched the first seven episodes and couldn't get into at all. Not a single character I liked or was invested in (except maybe that secretary lady).

Attack on Titan - Overrated as hell. All style no substance.

Naruto - The series is pretty good before the timeskip, but once it crosses that threshold it becomes a dull, uninspired, tedious, melodramatic mess. Although I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion is.

Bohemian Rhapsody - I am absolutely sick to death of this song. And don't get me wrong, it's a great song, but it's not the end-all be-all of rock music. There's lots of other great songs out there (no, not just Stairway to Heaven!)

Teen Titans Go - So much unjustified hate for this show. Yeah, okay, I'm sorry it's not the "original" Teen Titans, and yes it is annoying that CN plays it so much, but the show itself is perfectly fine on its own merits.

Disney's Atlantis - Okay, so it's not an all-time classic or anything, but this is still a very underrated gem in the Disney canon that's a lot of fun and very unique.

We Built This City - Apparently, a lot of people call this one of the worst rock songs ever written, but...I don't know. I like it. It's fun.

Styx - One of the more hated rock bands out there, but I think they had a lot of great hits. At the very least, you've gotta give them credit for Come Sail Away.

Yo! Noid - Admittedly, I'm not sure how well this game would hold up if I played it today, but I had a lot of fun playing this as a kid.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,455 4
Framingham, MA
Thing I dislike that are popular:

1. Joss Whedon. I used to love the guy, but ever since he's declared himself a feminist icon I have nothing but scorn for him and his mistreatment of women on-screen and in real life. What I take solace in is that my hatred of him is becoming less and less uncommon, and more people are starting to think he's as full of crap as I do.

2. Reality Television: Cannot stand watching this.

3. The News particularly Fox News. Cannot watch it without suffering a nervous breakdown. I don't understand how this gets any ratings at all.

4. Sports. Not into it.

5. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. John always seemed to have an agenda and never listened to what his guests were telling him. This goes for liberal and conservative guests alike.

6. Bill Maher. Gross dude is gross.

7. WWE Wrestling. Stupid and misogynistic. I don't include it in my hatred of sports because it is not a sport.

8. King of the Hill. Horrible characters. Horrible series.

9. Roseanne. Worst series finale ever.

Things I like that are unpopular.

1. Hello Kitty. Okay, this IS popular. With little girls. I don't go to conventions or anything (I'm not a Furrie or a creeper), and I don't watch the cartoons, but I have a ton of the plushes and calendars. To be honest, I think part of the reason I love the merchandise so much, is precisely because a 42 year old male shouldn't. I think it's kind of ironic and funny.

2. Ernest P Worrell. Saw this again a few years ago and wasn't that impressed, but I do not have a visceral hatred for Jim Varney that the critics did.

3. Anne Murray. I don't see where the hatred comes from. Her songs are mild and pretty.

4. Barry Manilow. Ditto.

Radical Edward

Feb 3, 2018
Ratings
1,115 6
Boyhood - I think this movie is dull and annoying, but what's more annoying is how a lot of people praise it solely for the fact that it took 12 years to make.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - This movie only stands out among the prequels because it's the least crappy of them all. I still think it's not good at all.

The Ren and Stimpy Show - I never liked it as a kid, and still don't like it now. It's too gross for my liking.

Rugrats - Never liked it either. I just don't understand the appeal.

Phineas and Ferb - WAAAY too repetitive. Not even the sharp humor can keep me interested after 2 seasons.

Sports - I don't care.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - This is not the best part. It drags on for longer than it should.

Clarence - I understand the appeal but I just can't seem to get into it. I'd enjoy it more if the dumb one was not the main character.

SpongeBob SquarePants - I don't care much for the post-sequel episodes, and even the good ones don't deserve to be placed on the same pedestal as the first three seasons.

Danny Phantom - I don't think it was that good in hindsight. The overused sound effects get grating fast.

Big Mouth - How the hell does this show get 100% on Rotten Tomatoes??? I get that RT isn't very dependable - honestly no one should depend on RT at all, their score aggregration system is bogus - but 100%??? Really??? It's like critics aren't even trying.

The Amazing World of Gumball - The earlier episodes were better, especially before they desperately try to be "woke" all the time, which comes off forced and pandering. It's just not funny.

Last edited:

Spacething7474

Click the image to change your avatar.
May 21, 2017
Ratings
Minnesota. Just Minnesota.
  • I used to really like Rocko’s Modern Life, but now I just can’t get into it anymore. I don’t think it’s bad, just boring.
  • Serious drama and action shows/movies are incredibly boring to me.
  • Get Blake! is the only cartoon by Marathon Media that I like.
  • The only Star Wars media I care about are Star Wars Detours and the Lego specials.
  • In my opinion, Johnny Test is CN’s best acquisition and Total Drama is their worst acquisition.
  • Gumball’s later seasons try too hard at being meta and it becomes annoying. They aren’t bad though.
  • In my opinion, Off the Air, Xavier: Renegade Angel, and 12 Oz. Mouse are Adult Swim’s best shows.
  • The Loud House is (currently) the ONLY Nicktoon from the 2010s that I don’t like (even though I find Korra and The Wayne to be just okay). This also includes Nicktoons Network originals, which I also like.
  • I have no interest in ANYTHING Sega-related (I only like Sonic Boom: The Series and The Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog).
  • Seasons 1 and 2 The Fairly OddParents! are the only ones I don’t like. In addition, the pre-2008 run of the show has some of my least favorite episodes (A Wish Too Far!, Ruled Out, The Big Scoop!, Inspection Detection, and Boy Toy). Ironically enough, It’s A Wishful Life is one of my favorites from the show.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2010
Ratings
348 3
Laredo, TX
Modern Family Guy is good, it just needs to ditch its stupid flaws like using gore to intentionally shock the audience, drag out scenes for a very long time to bore audience, inconsistent characterization, etc.

Mike Scully did not made the Simpsons bad and stale. If anything, that would go to Al Jean for staying as showrunner for 17 years now and having the show be now full of gimmicks and repetitive plots. Even if there's still great episodes every now and then, imagine what would the show be if they continue the tradition of rotating showrunners every 2-4 years?

Post-sequel SpongeBob isn't as great as many people made it out. I still enjoy it, but what's the point of it now if the show is so crazy all the time now? I kind of miss Paul Tibbitt and I hate how post-movie haters harassed him to the point that he deleted most of his tweets and Facebook account.

Jan 17, 2012
Ratings
60 3
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Mike Scully did not made the Simpsons bad and stale. If anything, that would go to Al Jean for staying as showrunner for 17 years now and having the show be now full of gimmicks and repetitive plots. Even if there's still great episodes every now and then, imagine what would the show be if they continue the tradition of rotating showrunners every 2-4 years?
I agree - Season 11 might've had its share of episodes that shouldn't have been made but the good outweighed the bad ones (Missionary Impossible, EIEID'Oh, Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner, Beyond Blunderdome, etc.) Same with Season 12. Season 9 just had the principal and the pauper and that one was kinda ruled out of the canon so I don't know why people whine all over it.

If anything I think that Season 13 was when the show really plummeted.

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
Ratings
598 2
Mad Men - Watched the first seven episodes and couldn't get into at all. Not a single character I liked or was invested in (except maybe that secretary lady).
I know this is a cliched term, but it gets better. The first few episodes didn't do much for me either. By the second season I was hooked, although I didn't care for the direction the final season took.

The "secretary lady", Peggy, goes through some of the most interesting character development in the series.

JoeMabbon

Turtle Mage
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,314 2
Valley of Bowser
Lego media tie-ins are varying levels of uninspired pandering. The minifig character designs are flat and they dull the uniqueness of the characters they are adapting.

Take this opinion, multiply it by 1000, and that's how I feel about Funko Pop.

Pewdiepie always sucked, but I kinda respected his decision to make sketch comedy and drop the screaming over videos schtick.

The Star Wars Prequels have value. Not alot, but enough to justify their existence.

The first Michael Bay Transformers film is passable.

I generally enjoyed Adult Swim's live action shows and thought they were clever, particularly Delocated and The Eric Andre Show.

Rick Sanchez is starting to drift into self-parody as of season 3.

Both American Godzilla films are bad. The first is amazingly inept, the second is dull. But that's okay. Because most of the Toho stuff is terrible, too.

Dungeons and Dragons is more fun and interesting than Magic the Gathering and Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro should promote it over the card game.

May 11, 2014
Ratings
207 1
s15.zetaboards.com
Post-first movie SpongeBob isn't as bad as people make out. At least Seasons 4 and 5, which I almost put up there with the first three.

I don't care for "adult animation" much. Yes, that includes The Simpsons (which I never liked, even back when it was supposedly "good"). Many of the jokes just seem edgy just for the sake of it and otherwise, just boring. So overrated. "Children's" cartoons are far superior in my book.

I loved the movie TMNT: Out of the Shadoiws. It's my favorite since the very first one back in the 90's.

Suicide Squad was a pretty decent movie.

I'm not really looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2. Just give me GTA VI.

I also agree with the person who mentioned Funko Pops. They are worthless. Amiibos are a lot better.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
Ratings
598 2
Thought of some of my own:

I do not understand the reverence some have for "The Big Lebowski". It's a mildly enjoyable movie (John Goodman is great as always) but hardly the best comedy ever.

Similarly, "Kingpin" was given glowing reviews by Siskel and Ebert. I watched it a couple years ago and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Their previous effort, "Dumb and Dumber", was much funnier.

The Kids WB era of Animaniacs was not that bad.

I genuinely like "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and do not understand the hatred for it, or outright denial of its existence.

"Kung Pow: Enter the Fist" is one of the most underrated comedies ever, although I admit it's an acquired taste.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,455 4
Framingham, MA
I genuinely like "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and do not understand the hatred for it, or outright denial of its existence.
I didn't like Crystal Skull all that much, but I was astounded by its bad reception. Because Temple of Doom is an outright appalling piece of garbage on every level, and Indy fans seem perfectly fine with that. I cannot take Indy fans saying Skull is the worst Indy film in the canon while giving Willie, Shortround, child slavery, and monkey brains a free pass.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
887 14
Springfield, MO
One scene: Apparently you can survive a nuclear explosion in a refrigerator.

Other than that, I've got no problem with "Crystal Skull" whatsoever.

Feb 22, 2018
Ratings
215 4
I got a few:

Jewelpet, Rilu Rilu Fairilu, and Cocotama are very underrated animes.

Digimon games>Digimon anime. Likewise, Pokemon anime>Pokemon games.

I like all Transformers series. Yes, even Energon.

I like the Young Hunters arc of Digimon Xros Wars.

I don't care for MLP at all. I used to slightly like it, but beyond that, I have no interest.

My issue with the so-called "CalArts style" is less that it's overused and more that I just find it unappealing to look at.

Saint Seiya Omega and Dragon Ball GT weren't bad.

I actually like Funko Pops.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I think that Jojo's Bizzare Adventure is the most overrated long running series that I've ever seen. I can see why it caught on at the time it first started, but it is all style with no substance behind it based on what I managed to watch.

Based on what I've seen, Dragon Ball Super is far more enjoyable to watch than the Buu Saga, at least if the DBZ Kai version of that arc is any indication. It does have some good points to it, but it's probably my least favorite of DBZ's arcs.

I don't know how unpopular this is, but Girl Meets World lost me once they revealed that Shawn and Angela broke up. It was good up to that point and had a lot of good moments, but that reveal just kind of ruined the series for me. Their relationship was so great and pretty realistic in the original series. Maybe it wouldn't have been too bad if they were trying so painfully hard to force Shawn to marry Maya's mother in order to become her step father and if the break up felt more natural, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. It also didn't help that I don't think Angela's return had the same kind of fanfare as it did with other returning cast members from Boy Meets World. I might go back and watch the rest of the series someday, but that reveal really did bother me.

I think that Bambi 2 is far better than the original movie. Bambi is still impressive from an animation point of view and it is beautiful, but it is mainly all style and no substance as well. Granted, it was made in a different time, but I was expecting something a bit more when I watched it. Bambi 2 is a good example of a good midquel in that it expands on areas that the original movie lacked. It actually showed Bambi dealing with his mother's death and becoming closer to his father. Bambi doesn't have much personality in the first movie and his father was more of a plot device than a character, so this movie helped to provide a more interesting story than the first movie did.

On a similar note, I didn't really find the death of Bambi's mother to be that sad. I can see why it would be regarded as a sad death for a lot of people, especially if this was one of their first Disney movies, but it didn't really have a lot of impact on me. I think it was the combination of seeing more emotionally effective deaths in other movies and the scene being used so much in pop culture that weakened the original impact of the scene. If I did see Bambi much earlier than I did, it might have been more depressing and emotionally effective.

I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but Tangled the Series is my favorite animated series currently airing on Disney Channel. I do like the DuckTales reboot and what I've seen of Big Hero 6 is good too, although I need to catch up with the later at some point, but Tangled the Series is much more interesting and engaging for me. Granted, the comparison might not be entirely fair given that only one of these three shows have completed their first season, but I really like it. Similar to Bambi 2, the series feels like a long mid-quel in that it expands between the end of Tangled and the Tangled Ever After Short. It fleshes out the characters and world to make it really fun and engaging. Unlike with Bambi, I actually like the Tangled movie, which probably does help in this regard too, but it's a really solid series that spends its time on the characters and storyline pretty effectively. Even though we know that Rapunzel and Eugene get married, the mystery is still engaging and there are plenty of touching moments, which is no small feat when the audience basically knows that everything turns out well for at least the main leads. I just think that this series needs a bit more attention, although the reviews seem to be primarily positive from what I've seen here and on other sites.

Cartoon Ruler

Dec 11, 2011
Ratings
1,900 7
Galloway, NJ
I hope I don't trigger so many people but here it goes...

Teen Titans Go! is a decent yet overhated cartoon in my book.
Many people are just mad that it isn't like Teen Titans despite being a spin-off series rather than a reboot. Also, I just admire how the show makes fun of haters in certain episodes ("The Fourth Wall", "Let's Get Serious", and "The Cape" were just hilarious to watch).

Nickelodeon is overrated now. After The Loud House's debut, SpongeBob's increase in quality again, and various announcements of revivals and reboots, people started praising the network again, to the point where they're now calling it one of the best American cable networks out there. It's not, really. While the network has been in a slightly better shape compared to 2009-2014, it is still constantly screwing other cartoons in favor of mega-hits like SpongeBob and The Loud House, not to mention how pandering it can get, to the point of being cringey (one example: almost every title of their Youtube videos displays an emoji). Also, the live-action tends to get more attention than the animation (aside from SpongeBob, Loud House, and TMNT), when it should be 50/50. With Cyma out of the way, I suppose Nick could get better, but we'll have to wait and see if this new president will make a difference (then again I was never a huge Nick fan anyways, so I couldn't really care less).

Cartoon Network (along with Miller and Vishnu) does not deserve all the hate it is getting now. Sure it's not perfect, but it knows what its doing, unlike Nickelodeon. Oversaturation of TTG and Gumball aside, it at least gives other shows exposure (reruns, promotion, digital distribution, etc.). And I just happen to really like their current lineup (except PPG 2016, which I still dislike), despite their current trend of "jellybean" art styles. I'll say CN is in a better place than it was between late 2007 and early 2010.

I hate MTV. It's a terrible channel that's filled with low budget reality shows with some the most obnoxious reality stars out there (I'm talking to you, Jersey Shore and Ridiculousness). I may even consider it the worst American cable network on the air right now.

The Fairly OddParents was alright (aside from its seasonal rot), but not one of the best Nicktoons out there. Watching the pre-Channel Chasers episodes feels so nostalgic, but I have to admit that they were chessy and cliched at times. While the show overall hasn't aged up well for me, it's still fun to watch the older episodes every now and then (IMO, the show got worse after season 4, even before Poof was introduced).

Got some more coming soon.

kanc

Sep 9, 2013
Ratings
1,207 5
here is my opinion:

Nick at Nite: I think this network is so overrated, due to new acquisitions moved to late night slots that never lasted longer at least a year, had been pulled off for unknown reasons. This block has been on autopilot for years. Same repeated shows taking up more space like Friends and George Lopez. And also ridiculous off the clock at least more than 35 minutes length (not all of it, but most or some). Considered it was making money for putting more commercials.. Since N@N has been worse, I might bet (not likely) N@N might be shutting down operations...

Asa

Jul 5, 2016
Ratings
121 7
here is my opinion:

Nick at Nite: I think this network is so overrated, due to new acquisitions moved to late night slots that never lasted longer at least a year, had been pulled off for unknown reasons. This block has been on autopilot for years. Same repeated shows taking up more space like Friends and George Lopez. And also ridiculous off the clock at least more than 35 minutes length (not all of it, but most or some). Considered it was making money for putting more commercials.. Since N@N has been worse, I might bet (not likely) N@N might be shutting down operations...
Ever since then, Nick at Nite only cares about the shows that Warner Bros Television distributed.