Universal Pictures acquires DreamWorks Animation

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by sasq, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

So was Trollhunters, Home, and How to Train Your Dragon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nexonius

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I thought DreamWorks and Netflix weren't a thing anymore.

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's mostly because Netflix has a global reach unlike Hulu, which is only available in the States.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. superkeegan9100

6. Nexonius

Hopefully they don't throw every new TV series from DWATV to Netflix since they have the proper network to do that now, at least for new shows that aren't based on a property that they own already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sasq

sasq Active Member

How will Universal fix the ''DreamWorks animated series owned by Viacom'' problem?

8. Nexonius

Well that partnership was made prior to Universal, and those three shows were produced at Nickelodeon Animation Studios. The only part they own are the DVD rights. Starting with Dragons: Riders of Berk and their Netflix deal, which came between the last show in production with Nick, Monsters vs. Aliens, DWATV started producing their own shows outright without any ownership from Viacom.

9. ThunDun

ThunDun New Member

As an aside, I cant wait for this. Bring on 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. superkeegan9100

I thought the movie was Okay, but a sequel was unnecessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Viacom owns the shows that were made/produced for Nickelodeon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sasq

sasq Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. superkeegan9100

Here the film is distributed by Fox.

14. sasq

sasq Active Member

I know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Does Nick own the DVD rights to those shows, or does DWA?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

16. sasq

sasq Active Member

DWA

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nexonius

DWA does since I saw the back cover with 20th Century Fox on there and they distributed their DVDs until this year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nexonius

So here we are in December, in the final weeks of the DWA/Fox agreement, which was completed with Captain Underpants. From January and probably forever more, all of DreamWorks Animation's output will be distributed by Universal (and their TV library is already being distributed by NBCUniversal's TV distribution unit and Home Entertainment division since this year). I want to talk about the folks who were skeptical of the deal at the start and also the changes that happened to DreamWorks since my last big post in this thread along with final thoughts on Jeffrey Katzenberg and such.

There were people who criticized the deal because it might kill off the studio's high budgeted movies or would have sent the animation overseas ala Illumination, while having reasonable skepticism, wasn't exactly the case here. As it been stated before, Jeffrey Katzenberg did almost everything he wanted to do to make DreamWorks a formidable competitor to Disney when Shrek came around, but with his risk to make the company split from the DreamWorks company wasn't the best idea ever, especially if that company would only rely on movies (later three pics a year). While trying to make it out as a independent animation studio, it didn't have the funds or resources to make their own voice like Disney/Pixar had for years besides high budgeted movies. Using Paramount as distributors kept them upfloat for the least part but at the same time, Katzenberg should've expanded his studio in its earlier years to include animated series like they tried to do in the late 90s and not go the route of letting other companies produce their shows, considering the studio had as many employees as a Disney animation studio at the time. Maybe DTVs could have worked as well, making quality movies or sequels that weren't good enough for the screen to keep revenue going in other areas besides the movies. The three pics a year thing proved to be a bad idea, especially with the amount of movies that came out later on were either uninspired, not popular (Rise of the Guardians), and just not good (Turbo, Home) to movies that came out too late (Mr. Peabody and Sherman, Penguins of Madagascar). Not to mention selling off their building and shutting down PDI.

That's not to say that all of Katz's decisions were bad, but the good decisions he made came too late for the independent company. Firstly diversifying was a great idea, especially acquiring Felix the Cat, the Trolls intellectual property, and Classic Media which gave the company endless amounts of characters to work with for TV shows, movies, licensing, and distribution of their library worldwide. Having Oriental DreamWorks is a good way to make movies from China and having a appeal to English audiences. Acquiring AwesomenessTV was something that was surprising at first but sort of made sense for crossover appeal purposes. Then between all of that, starting up an official TV animation division (not to mention grabbing three top Nickelodeon executives to run it) to actually own all of their shows, having several shows in several stages of production and development, along with starting TV networks around Asia and finally, that exclusive deal with Netflix proved to be a success for their movies and shows, with the the latter becoming very anticipated with Voltron, Trollhunters, among the other shows. But again, in the end....that TV division should've came when the company went public to throw in revenue from the start but I digress.

To say that Comcast and DreamWorks didn't need each other, is simply a kick in the face. Katzenberg did what he wanted and achieved a lot, but him staying wasn't going to keep working for the company itself, and I'd fear that they would've been either bankrupt or in desperate need for funding maybe a few years from now hadn't it been for Comcast. Had it been 21st Century Fox, it would've been undervalued and mistreated as they didn't promote their movies to their potential. Paramount/Viacom? It could've happened with the live action studio, but it didn't. Softbank and Hasbro wouldn't really work (especially with Disney on the latter) because they'll still need a studio to distribute their works and if Disney had acquired them (unlikely), would've been a white flag and a middle finger to themselves. DWA needed Comcast as much as Comcast needed them. Obviously Comcast needed them for reach for animation, having a big start in kid entertainment, theme parks, strengthening their competition along with Illumination and actually having an actual TV animation studio versus their own neglected studio. DWA needed Comcast for a bigger reach, having the ability to obtain consistent funding, having an actual top notch promotion machine like how NBCUniversal does for Illumination, having two networks to put their specials and TV shows on (NBC, Universal Kids), and doing more in general with the inclusion of having individual theatrical shorts and exploring their techniques well. The post-Katzenberg team looks to be very consistent with big choices, picking up interesting ideas like The Wizards of Once, Spooky Jack, bringing back movies that were once dead (The Croods 2), and continuing the others like Everest.

Here's some links to show how DWA continues to be part of the NBCU family:

DreamWorks Channel will finally start to become operated within the NBCU international family:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/asia/nbcuniversal-full-control-of-dreamworks-channel-in-asia-1202623340/

I believe they're in good hands here.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #138 Nexonius, Dec 11, 2017 at 7:17 AM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 7:22 AM