Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "The Rampaging Rhino" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 14, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on this episode of "Ultimate Spider-Man"

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

50.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Tuesday means an all-new Spidey adventure! Check out an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man tonight on Disney XD.

[​IMG]

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "The Rampaging Rhino"

Episode Debut - July 14th, 2015

Spider-Man and Hulk are the last line of defense when a bitter rivalry between Agent Venom and Rhino threatens to destroy New York City.

Comments?

2. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

My opinions of the episode:
    + Agent Venom Abilities are really becoming a little non-sense, basically because of his ability to affect technology as much as biological beings. The parachute was a good one, but I found a little ridiculous the creation of the "Venom-Cycle". It was cool, but ridiculous at the same time. By the way, it's just me or the "Venom-Cycle" looked a lot like Ghost Rider's bike?
    + Spidey said "Spiders don't fly, neither rhinos or whatever Venom is". Well, technically, Venom was created from Spiderman's blood, so wouldn't that make him a spider too? Or maybe a "pseudo-spider"?
    + I just want to comment, the trading cards where I saw the spoilers of Shocker and Jack O'Lantern appearing in the series have another confirmed spoiler. Rhino's look in the cards is the same used in this episode. He looks quite the same from previous season, but now some parts of his body are much darker than others.
    + Now that I mention it, I want to say there's a chance there was another spoiler in those cards. We know Jack O'Lantern debuted in the Halloween's crossover episode with "Jessie", but I believe there's a chance it won't be his last appearance. Reason?, the glider Jack O'Lantern used in the Halloween episode wasn't the same he appears in the cards.
    + Seriously? Fury sends Hulk to battle Rhino? Haven't Fury learnt anything about "sending a monster against another monster" being a bad idea? Everything crumbles when that happens!!!
    + Rhino's wedgie on the Hulk... I almost kill myself laughing!!!

+ Iron Spider Hulbuster's armour... I don't know what to think. Looks like a little stupid, but it could be cool at the same time. But I don't understand how it could withstand Hulk's punchs and then it was perfored by Rhino's horn. Anyway, this armour will surely be useful for Spidey in the future, like in his next battle against the Green Goblin. (Believe me, he will return).
    + Rhino being in SHIELD Academy... I would lie if I say this doesn't looks right, but I guess it's the best choice considering his backstory. And it could also be a reference to the comic's Rhino when he tried to have a normal life; until Kraven's psycho-family ruined everything. But if this is going to be permanent, they will have to find him a replacement for him in the Sinister Six. Mysterio, maybe?
    + I don't know you guys, but the whole thing about SHIELD Academy sounds wrong to me, basically because they are focusing only in Spiderman's world and they are leaving Peter Parker's world aside. I don't like that!! What about Aunt May, Mary Jane or even Harry? And how Spidey is going to explain them his "transference" to SHIELD Academy? This really bugs me.

3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

I really liked the moment where Spidey and Hulk acknowledged that Hulkbuster armor is inherently problematic in a universe where the Hulk is an undisputed hero. That was a great little character moment. The ending was also a nice invocation of the classic Marvel hero archetype.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. The dialogue could be better and the humor was still pretty lame but there were a few moments that were handled pretty well. I like how this episode works as a sequel to Rhino's debut episode, and it shows how much Flash Thompson has changed since then - of course, it would have been nice if we actually saw more of Flash's character development, rather than having it happen without any real build-up, in a rushed way.

I'm getting a little tired of having the Hulk appear so often - I like the character and all, but it's a little too much. Plus his characterization varies so much between appearances (and even throughout the same episode) it gets annoying. Hulk giving Spidey a noogie was pretty dumb, as was Rhino giving Hulk a wedgie. The fight scenes were decent. What I liked the most was Spidey's and Hulk's speech about never giving up. That was pretty good. The Iron Spider Hulkbuster armor had a pretty nice design. I liked how Hulk reacted to it, and his talk to Nick Fury regarding its creation.

All in all, a decent episode. I'm not the biggest fan of Rhino but he could work as a neat addition to Spidey's team and to the show. Joining SHIELD Academy was probably the most reasonable thing Rhino could do. At least his rivalry with Agent Venom/Flash Thompson seems to have been resolved, so they hopefully at least won't fight each time they share some screen-time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a solid episode, and a definite improvement from the last episode ;).

It was nice to see the Flash/Alex plot from season 2 revisited now that both have superpowers and Flash is Agent Venom. Getting more closure with Alex seems like the logical next step in Flash's development from high school bully to Superhero (as logical as that can be mind you). And it was also especially nice to see Alex once again treated as a relatively reluctant and sympathetic villain as Rhino compared to his last few appearances with the Sinister Six as a generic villain :rolleyes:.

While it was kinda sad to find out that he's now stuck in Rhino form, Alex only has himself to blame when his last few appearances saw him joining up with big-time Supervillains just to continue getting the formula to turn him into Rhino. Granted, those appearances never jived well in the first place, but it makes Rhino's suffering here seem slightly less sympathetic o_O.

It was cool seeing Doctor Connors again, since I don't think he's been on the show in a while, and offering some scientific advice to Spidey and co. :).

Y'know, at first I thought sending in Hulk to help stop Rhino was a terrible move considering how he's usually bad about collateral damage and delicate situations like the one Alex was in. But instead of the more destructive and childish Hulk of Assemble, we have a Hulk here who's portrayed as a little arrogant and quick to punch but a lot more calm, reasonable, and focused than he usually tends to be on Assemble. He seems dedicated to his mission, and being a hero, and is a lot less annoying (Spider-noogie aside) than Assemble!Hulk tends to be with his antics. He was even directing civilians from danger! Between his Assemble portrayal and his moral paragon, unfailing leader portrayal in SMASH, I find this portrayal to be Hulk's best yet in the MAU :D.

The fights between Spidey, Agent Venom, Hulk, and Rhino were pretty enjoyable to watch and it was cool (if surprising) that Rhino was able to give Hulk a good fight. I think it would've been interesting if Flash lost control of the Symbiote and fought Rhino as an out-of-control Venom, and been more instrumental in the climax of the fight instead of sitting it out, but things ended up pretty much fine as is. Also, Agent Venom's bike is totally cooler than the Spider-Cycle :cool:.

The Iron Spider Hulkbuster Armor was an interesting development, and actually looked pretty cool, much moreso than the actual Iron Spider suit. I thought it was a little overpowered in that it could take several hits from the Hulk, but then seeing it be used by Rhino and Hulk as a weapon against each other made up for that :p.

Rhino joining the SHIELD Academy was a nice surprise, and hopefully it sticks rather than seeing Alex return to generic villainy (even if we'd be losing another classic Spider-Man villain in the process). I hope the show explores his dynamics with the rest of the students and his progress as a hero, and while the Academy has plenty of bruisers, I don't think they have one who can legitimately take on The Hulk :eek:.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Glad they finally started showing these episodes. Great to see they carried over the character development and storylines that go back to the second season.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually mostly liked the fight scene between Hulk and Rhino. Ironically, I felt it was a better action scene than most of the ones we got in SMASH.
    I wasn't expecting Rhino to join SHIELD, so that was a surprise.

• Agree Agree x 1