Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "The New Sinister Six, Parts 1-2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 12, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

66.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD! Spidey is back... but so is the Sinister Six!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "The New Sinister Six, Part 1"
    Episode Debut - June 12th, 2016
    Directed by: Young Ki Yoon
    Written by: Jacob Semahn
    Spider-Man faces the culmination of all Doc Ock's evil machinations when the new Sinister Six assaults the Web Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy at the Triskelion.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It feels a bit weird that Spidey's new inner circle are invited to throw Aunt May a party and the old guys aren't invited or mentioned, even though they should be pretty well acquainted at this point. Heck, Sam and May seemed to get pretty close due to his lack of family and all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Flying Cutlery!!

Scarlett Spider must pay.:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a solid, maybe decent, episode. I was really excited for this episode, especially after the previews, but overall certain elements and issues kept me from really enjoying it, though some nice action and the big twist at the end did improve my opinion of it :).

It was cool seeing Shriek in the flesh and get to actually hear her, and her fight with Spider-Man as she made good use of her legs and powers while balancing her stolen money was fun. Ashley Eckstein also did a good job differentiating her Shriek voice from her voice for Dagger. Obviously Spidey beat her pretty easily in the end, but I imagine this is setting Shriek up for a bigger role in the Symbiote Saga :evil:.

It was nice to see the Web Warriors out of costume and celebrating Aunt May's birthday together, which in and of itself is a nice call-back to when Peter forgot to get a cake for Aunt May's birthday all those seasons ago. I could've done without the recap on who everybody is, but it was still nice to see Flash outside a pod, if wheelchair bound (which I'm presuming is a reference to his losing his legs in the comics). Though I did find it kinda weird that they all mentioned something good Aunt May did for them even when, outside Ben, none of them have really interacted with her to a significant degree so we never got to see any of these heartwarming interactions.

Then they say that the Web Warriors have been apparently living at Aunt May's place, like Spidey's old team, this whole time but we never got to see any of that until now. To the show's credit, of what little it deserves for seasons 1 and 2, at least we got to see the old team hanging out with Aunt May :rolleyes2:.

And Scarlet is Ben Reilly? I know May named him Ben, but this is the first we've heard of him using Reilly as a last name. But it feels weird, and kind of wrong, to call him that given all the traits he shares with Kaine, and especially after the twist at the end.

Did anyone else think Peter giving Aunt May the key to the Anti-Hydra weapon, and not even telling her what it is, was incredibly irresponsible :mad:?

After a half-season worth of build-up and with the group's name in the title, we finally get the debut of Doc Ock's new, ultimate, Sinister Six...and frankly, they feel kinda underwhelming. It's like Ock was constantly hyping up that he was forming the perfect team to destroy Spider-Man, and in the end they just turn out to be a distraction for his ultimate goal of stealing the Anti-Hydra weapon. They didn't even seem to give Spidey, the Web Warriors, or the stray SHIELD Academy kids who just so happened to be there that much of a challenge aside from Hydro-Man and Kraven at the end :shrug:.

Though I guess with the reveal at the end that they're really the Sinister Seven, and Ock's success in not only getting the Anti-Hydra weapon but in destroying the Triskellion and finally getting Spidey on his knees as well as learning his secret identity secret identity, they were a resounding success from a certain point of view :eek:.

Ock must have been really running out of ideas if he had to resort to Electro to fill out the roster, especially when he has a water-user like Hydro-Man on the team as well. I mean, really? Electro? After all the times Spidey and his team have beaten him? It's not like he ever played a major part in the success of the last two Sinister Six's. They didn't even give him a line in this episode :rolleyes:.

Hydro-Man was MVP of the Six in my opinion, if not the Seven, since the action scenes were once again really dynamic and fluid with him around and he probably gave the best fight out of the whole Six to the other heroes. Even when they took him off the game-board he came back with a vengeance and pretty much took down the Triskellion. Out of all of Ock's choices for the Six, Hydro-Man was probably one of the best :cool:.

Poor Ultimate Goblin. He came back in the end, but compared to his last two appearances his effectiveness as a villain has been greatly reduced :sad:.

Man, you've really got to feel bad for Rhino. Not only was he not the real traitor, only being used to help break out Ock, now he's been brainwashed by Ock to serve in his Sinister Six. Poor Alex :(.

Um...did Spidey and co. just ignore the fact that Cloak is now teleporting randomly with Dagger in tow? Shouldn't they be worried and concerned about that o_O?

The ending scene was probably the strongest and most poignant part of the episode for me. Doc Ock's machinations all finally culminate in a major victory as he uses Spider-Man's faith in his allies and what they can do together against him to bring Spidey to his lowest point, and finally learning Peter Parker is Spider-Man. And he achieves that through the real traitor in SHIELD Academy, and the final member of the Sinister Seven...Scarlet Spider.

After all the character development and focus on Peter and Scarlet's relationship since the beginning of the season, watching their growing bond and affection for each other, seeing him betray Spidey like that and rip his mask off was as tough to watch as it was for Peter to go through. And it's even more of a twist in the knife given it appears Scarlet was a willing agent of Ock's since the very beginning, and everything he's been doing since meeting Peter has been an act. I can't help but wonder where the show is going to take the character now that it appears Scarlet is an out-and-out villain who's not only broken Peter's trust, but seemingly done what no other villain on this show has been able to do...break Spider-Man :crying:.

Siniser Six Counter: The Sinister Six is finally formed, only to turn out to be the Sinister Seven, with a final roster of: Doc Ock, Ultimate Goblin, Rhino, Kraven, Hydro-Man, Electro, and Scarlet Spider.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #4 Frontier, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I figured Rhino wasn't the real spy. Vulture said the spy was a "Spider." It being Scarlet Spider made perfect sense. He appeared out of nowhere very conveniently. We never really knew much about his background or what he's been doing away from Doc Ock.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Also, what the heck were they talking about when they said Kraven was obsessed with hunting Spider-Man? That's true for traditional Kraven, but that's never been the primary motivation of USM Kraven. It would be more accurate to say he's obsessed with hunting White Tiger's :confused:.

Sure, he probably really hates Spider-Man at this point given after all the trouble Spidey's given him, but the only reason he was hunting Spiders this season was because it guaranteed a spot on the Sinister Six o_O.

The more I think about it, the more a lot of this episode just didn't work for me :(.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was fun, but definitely had a lot of hiccups in terms of writing. I look forward to part 2 regardless.
    Also hopefully the season finale will feature ALL students of Avengers Academy.
    But at least I got my wish of seeing more Squirrel Girl, even though I don't fully understand what she did to break Rhino's brainwash. Does the squirrel chatter act as some kind of power sound attack and summon the squirrels? Why did they all come?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Squirrel Girl's "squirrel call" was on a frequency that only animals can hear and it effected Rhino's animal side, and that's how she summoned all those squirrels. I believe she did something similar in her first appearance when she defeated Juggernaut :).

You do have to wonder where all the other SHIELD Academy kids were when the Triskellion was under attack. The Sinister Six could barely beat the group in this episode, so I understand not wanting to have them contend with every other teenage hero on this show, but it is kind of jarring o_O.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The best part: the final scene. It actually worked really well. I was rolling my eyes, because I expected someone to stop Scarlet from unmasking Peter, but to my surprise, nope! The sense of betrayal that Peter felt was done well.

The worst part: Peter giving Aunt May the key to the dangerous weapon. Very dumb. Of course she'll be a target now!

Anyway, pretty good episode, but not perfect.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

Act 1 was such a slog to get through. I know there was a hiatus, but did they really think the target demo would forget that much? It was only a couple of months.

Yeah, they just forgot and now they're transferring the classic character's motivations here.

This is the same guy who constantly does fourth wall breaking asides about superhero tropes and cliches, right? I was nodding when he referenced how frequently the Helicarrier has been compromised, in just this show alone, but then he just gives the key to his civilian Aunt without telling her? For real?

The show gives Spidey his triumphant moment and then doesn't acknowledge that two of his teammates just disappeared and they have no idea how to recover them. Unintentional humor at its finest.

Loved the ending, though. This show almost never presents and delievers serious drama.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is the same show that had Spidey do a recap at the beginning of each Spider-Verse part, even midway through the episode, in case viewers were confused. You thought that was difficult to slog through? Try watching each Spider-Verse parts back to back and see Spidey tell you about things you just saw a few minutes ago again and again :rolleyes:...

Not that I'm necessarily complaining about some character re-railment on Kraven, but keep your continuity consistent guys! Which is pretty hard when you retcon characters to be more like their movie incarnations, but still :sweat:.

Yeah, that was like...season 1-2 level of dumb antics from Spidey, and completely unfair to Aunt May too. All the moreso now that she knows he's Spider-Man, so he can tell her these things :mad:.

He should've given it to the FF or X-Men. Nobody would have found it then :p.

I guess it was kinda unintentionally funny, but I just felt really bad for Cloak and Dagger. "Hey guys, we deserve better then this! We have our own show coming up!"

I mean, USM probably needs to cut down its cast by a mile, at least in a way where we're not wondering where all the other heroes are like we are now, but that's certainly not a way to do it o_O.

Yeah. I sometimes ponder whether Bell could really pull off more serious and weighty moments genuinely, but he did a pretty good job there :).

And it felt earned with all the relationship and character development we've gotten with Scarlet.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

The spider-bios felt like a more extreme example of the show's tendency to freeze frame and then introduce characters to the viewer. This felt worse because these are characters who've been around for a couple of years now. If the original team ever returns to prominence, will we need a recap of who they are too?

Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I really liked the Shriek fight at the beginning. I can't remember the last time we saw a female antagonist on this show, so that was nice. I thought there was some decent back and forth there. Almost like a Jackie Chan sequence with him trying to subdue her while saving the cake.

I'm glad that the New Warriors actually got to do something this episode. The Academy/Six fight was a nice mix of abilities all around.

It's weird to say but I liked seeing Peter at the point where he's sobbing. That felt like genuine emotion on this show, something that doesn't come across too often.

I didn't see the betrayal coming due to how things have been on this show in the past. I never would've thought they'd use the Rhino betrayal as a red herring but I'm glad they did. Part of me always thought it was dumb to let Ben get so close without fully vetting him but we've seen this Spidey be very trusting in the past. Though he's also been guarded as well (The New Warriors, most of the Avengers, MJ and Harry don't know the identity).

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

His old team not being invited to Aunt May's birthday was kind of weird seeing as they did live with her for a few months. Sam is missing along with Fury but the rest of the team should have been there. They haven't been seen since Lizards. If the problem is too many characters then at least explain where they went.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Given we haven't seen them in so long, or in a prominent way, it might be a little more justified in that case. But you can bet that if there's a big moment where Spidey's original team comes back, that's exactly what they'll do :sweat:.

I think the last female villain would probably have been the female Green Goblin from Spider-Girl's world in Spider-Verse, though if we're talking in the main universe...probably Thundra from season one o_O?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I instantly thought of Thundra as well forgetting about Norma, who I liked. There was also the Salem Witch or whatever from his visit to Boston, Morgan and maybe another that slipped under anyone's notice. Anyways, Shriek had a nice showing and I'll take a short tussle with a unique character like that over having to see someone like Batroc repeatedly.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Morgan Le Fay?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh right! Totally forgot about Morgan Le Fay. Probably because I tried to completely forget about that Jessie crossover :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. I liked how the new Sinister Six finally made its debut on the show. The team roster could have been better but it still worked and offered some pretty cool scenes. Hydro-Man was probably the most impressive, though that could have something to do with the fact he's been in only one episode before this so he's still a very much new character in this continuity.

Seeing the Web Warriors and a few of the New Warriors in action was cool, there were some pretty great action scenes with neat choreography. It would have been nice if more heroes were present but I get they probably didn't want to have this episode become too crowded, when it was a more personal story for Spidey.

The scenes with the Spidey and the Web Warriors out of uniforms and spending time with Aunt May were fairly well done, it's been a while since we last had something like this on the show. The humor wasn't that great but it did feel like they were a family of sorts, I just wish the series would have featured more of this part of Peter's life rather than glossing over it or just mentioning it when necessary, like in this episode.

Stuff I wish wasn't included in the episode: Spidey's narrations about the very recent previous events and reminding viewers his team-mates' names, and the silly gags with him thinking where to hide the key to the Anti-Hydra weapon. Speaking of which, I don't get why Peter thought it was a good idea to give his Aunt May that key. It was a stupid move which will obviously have some bad consequences. I realize they needed a way to make the next story even more dramatic but still.

Shriek was a very nice surprise. I was expecting to see more from her after her brief cameo a couple of episodes ago, and this didn't disappoint. The dialogue could have been better but the fight choreography was pretty great and made for an enjoyable side-mission this episode.

I liked the way they played Rhino's betrayal plot up to this episode even if it was fairly predictable he wasn't really the traitor. Likewise, Scarlet Spider's betrayal was kind of predictable but still played out well enough and made for a pretty dramatic moment towards the end. Spidey getting unmasked was kind of tragic, especially seeing him sobbing like that, but I can't help but feel this would have had a much bigger impact if we had seen more from Peter Parker on the show prior to this. Still, a pretty great job.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with how the episode played out and I am looking forward to the conclusion.

• Like Like x 3