Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Strange Little Halloween" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six, tonight at 8:00PM ET on Disney XD! Tune in for a Halloween Special, guest-starring Doctor Strange and Ant-Man!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Strange Little Halloween"
    Episode Debut - October 1st, 2016
    Directed by: Young Ki Yoon
    Written by: Henry Gilroy

When trick-or-treaters start turning into monsters, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange and Ant-Man must team up to stop Baron Mordo.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

This episode reminded that Spider-Man's in his twenties now. He should be bar crawling, he's old enough.

I guess everyone plays video games in costume. It works for Thor and Hulk, they don't really have civilian identities. Well Hulk does, but for the purposes of children's entertainment he doesn't. But Nova and the Spider-Men? It just feels awkward.

Do we really need an explanation of who Doctor Strange is? Hasn't he been guesting since season 1? He was in the last arc!

Some of the action sequences were pretty neat. Like when Spidey created a kind of Web Rasengan or Strange's use of portal escapes.

Ultron is Scott Lang's greatest foe? What?

I might need to start a thread soon about the use and overuse of villains gaining God Powers in animation. Feels like that trope is everywhere these days.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a pretty fun Halloween episode of Ultimate Spider-Man vs. Everybody But the Sinister Six, with some solid action, humor, and use of the Halloween setting within the story. It's fluff compared to some of the more meatier USM episodes and traditional Spidey stuff, but the kind of good fluff that USM excels at ;).

Okay, I take back what I said in the Noir episode of Spider-Verse II, that kid in the Jameson costume will probably be the closest we'll ever get to seeing Jonah this season. And notice how he completely vanished the moment everybody started changing into their costumes...

So I take it Wong just doesn't exist in this continuity? Strange just lives completely alone at the Sanctum Sanctorum and the house takes care of everything he needs? It was nice to see Stephen again though, in-time for his movie of course, and his self-seriousness plays off well against Spidey and Ant-Man :cool:.

I thought Ant-Man would feel really out-of-place in this episode, but the writing did a good job of integrating him into a more magical based storyline and giving him something to add to the episode. He also played off Spidey and Strange pretty well, and Scott's fanboying over Strange was quite funny. In general, it was just nice to see Scott again since it's been a while since he's been in a cartoon :).

Though when did Peter get on a first-name basis with Scott? They've only had, like, one team-up and he's one of Peter's teachers at SHIELD Academy. Granted, I guess Peter is now equal rank considering he runs the school now, but still :confused:.

So the Quantum Realm (movie synergy for the win!) looks like...the internet :rolleyes2:?

I would complain about seeing Dormammu for the umpteenth time in a Dr. Strange episode, but at least it wasn't the real Dormammu :evil:.

It was nice seeing Mordo again as the villain, and dealing with what happened to him, and he certainly proved a formidable foe for our heroes in this episode. Though ultimately his plan kinda backfired on him since creating a situation where anything was possible gave the heroes the means to defeat the impossible situation he had thrown them in. Supervillains never think these things through :proud:.

I could never complain about messing with Nova :anime:.

Looking forward to getting back to the main plot with the Clone Sag...I mean, Spider-Slayer arc, with the return of Doc Ock, clones, the Web Warriors finally back as a team again, clones, MJ using her Carnage powers (I wonder if that will end well?), clones...and the return of Scarlet Spider :D.

I think this episode speaks to the ageism issue of the Spider-Man franchise :sweat:.

I also think it's telling in this episode that we didn't have Peter Parker dressing as Spider-Man for Halloween, but Spider-Man dressing as a pirate for Halloween...I guess Web-Beard had more of an impact then we realized.

Let's be honest, this is Ultimate Spider-Man we're talking about. They go over everybody's deal and remind us stuff we should know about practically every episode. I mean, how many times have we been reminded about Miles being from another dimension :rolleyes:?

I guess it's just another thing he's taken from Hank :shrug:.

Yellowjacket would've made more sense, and would've fit with the movie synergy, but I guess they didn't want to bother with doing a new design for this episode. Though even with the better animation quality of USM, Ultron's MCU design still feels out-of-place in animation o_O.

Eh, it's a genre staple :p.

• Like Like x 3
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

This show always assumes that kids aren't keeping track of anything. Its especially irritating because they rarely say anything that the audience couldn't pick up from the episode itself. I think we could intuit that Strange had magical powers just by looking at him and hearing him talk for 5 seconds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

Well it was alot better than Ant-man's return on Ultron Revolution.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Decent episode, but I thought it was pretty boring overall. The team-up between Spidey, Doctor Strange and Ant-Man was fun, the three had some good interactions even if the dialogue could have been better at times. There were still some amusing bits, but there was also some forced humor in there (Nova and the giant rabbits, most notably).

The Halloween setting was fun, and it was cool seeing Mordo again since his destruction back at the start of the season made it pretty obvious he would return eventually. His plan was generic but did offer some neat fight scenes and even some cameos like Dormammu and Ultron.

All in all, not a bad episode. Probably the most enjoyable Halloween Special to come out of this show.

• Like Like x 1
  7. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, Though The Ancient One did get mentioned when Strange told Spider-Man his old mentor who helped him become Dr.Strange,told him stories about Majestic dragons and he turned into one, So this episode pretty much confirmed The Ancient One does exist in the MAU.