Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Iron Vulture" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 6, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

50.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD! This week, Vulture digivolves to Iron Vulture!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Iron Vulture"
    Episode Debut - March 6th, 2016
    Directed by: Young Ki Yoon
    Written by: Jacob Semahn

Spider-Man must stop Doc Ock from eliminating Norman Osborn while learning to not be overprotective of his surrogate “younger brother,” Miles Morales.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Poor Adrian, he already lost his memories and now he's pretty much a mindless beast thanks to Ock's nano machines. Hopefully he will be saved.

Pretty fun episode while Peter being an over protective brother to Miles was a bit annoying the Osborn plot was pretty good. Harry standing up and protecting Norman for a change. So now Norman and Harry will be fighting together.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

It was a surprise to see Harry gain the American Son armour he has in the Amazing Spider-Man comics and that it was Doc Ock who gave Miles his new code name of: Kid Arachnid.

Vulture getting Black and Red Armour at the end of the episode when Ock uses Nano Machines to turn him into a mindless beast was interesting as it is the same look Vulture has in some of the Amazing Spider-Man comics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Batroc is badass. I don't know why anyone in the MAU thinks he's easy to take down.

I also like how many of the villains won't hesitate to kill the heroes. It makes it feel more "real".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #4 TheLemsterPju, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was nice that the episode established a "big brother and little brother" dynamic between Peter and Miles, but I feel like given they've only really teamed up with each other twice that it would take a while longer for that kind of relationship to really settle in. Though with all their similarities (powers, humor, home-life), it makes that they would get along well and develop some kind of sibling relationship :).

I can, however, completely understand how both would overcompensate in their own way towards the other, Peter being overprotective out of guilt for leaving Miles stranded from his Earth and Miles being so gung-ho to protect Peter after losing the one from his world, so I felt that worked at least :ack:.

Ugh...I was so hoping we wouldn't actually have to deal with that "Kid Arachnid" thing in the actual show. I mean, I guess I can understand how it could lead to confusion for both Peter and Miles to be on the same team and both calling themselves Spider-Man, and I guess they can't just yell out "Miles" because there might even be a Miles Morales in this universe, but couldn't they have come up with a better codename then "Kid Arachnid?" I'm really surprised that sounded like a good idea, both in-universe and out. Heck, I'd take "The Tangled Web" over "Kid Arachnid" and even I realize that still wouldn't be a good fit. "Kid Arachnid" also feels kinda demeaning for Miles to call him that :mad:.

So I guess villains all getting Armor upgrades is now a thing this season. To Sell Toys of course :cool:.

I'm a little surprised Batroc is still treated as a joke on the show. Remember when he ran circles around the team in his first appearance? Spidey doesn't seem to :confused:.

It was interesting to have Miles meet Norman and Harry this episode, especially given Miles' relationship with his worlds Goblin, and you could definitely see quite a bit of tension there. It was also nice to see Miles out of suit for once and having fun like a normal kid ;).

Vulture with the Armor looked a heck of a lot cooler then his old design did, to the point where it was kinda jarring to see him take his helmet off and see Adrien's "Goth" face, and was obviously much more of a threat compared to his season 3 appearances. As far as his motivation, while I can get that he's still focused on getting his memories back, it was still really dumb of him to believe and work for Doc Ock again, thought at least Adrien realized the truth by the end. And he made it apparent that he didn't actually want to hurt anybody, which was a nice touch. Too bad it all came a little too late :(.

Though a part of me things it would've been interesting, and given more justification for what Adrien did in this episode, if it turned out Norman was actually involved in Ock's experiments that led to Adrien becoming Vulture. It feels like the show is really downplaying the more morally ambiguous and evil side of Norman that was there even before he became the Goblin in favor of a "fun dad" Norman that hangs out with Peter and Harry. I mean, it's nice seeing Harry's dad being there for him and it's interesting watching an Osborn who isn't a psycho or pure evil, but I feel like they shouldn't ignore some of the shady stuff Norman used to do :shrug:.

Wow, American Son and a red Vulture. Does Wacker have a list of stuff from his Spider-Man tenure that he wants to introduce in the cartoons that he's just checking off :p?

I thought it was interesting that we had Matt Lanter and Tom Kenny both pulling double-duty in this episode, and Harry actually donning one of Norman's Armors and becoming The Patriot. I'm interested to see where the show goes with Harry now that he's his own Iron hero alongside his father as Iron Patriot, which probably increases his chances of staying relevant on the show, who'll presumably be working more with Spider-Man. Though with all those Iron Man-esque Armors, complete with its own Hall of Armor, I wonder if Tony should sue Norman :sweat:?

I did find it a little hard to believe he could be so effective with that Armor on his first try though, especially for a rookie, though I wonder if his time as Venom helped? When Harry brought up how he was no longer a scared kid in front of Ock, I couldn't help but think that he really hadn't been that way for a while given how long he had a Symbiote in the series.

They sure caught Ock pretty early into the show, even if it won't stay that way. Still kinda weird to have that happen to the overarching Big Bad this quickly into the season.

I'm guessing the traitor is Scarlet Spider, most likely unwittingly, either because of some programming Ock placed in his head during the experiments on Kaine or something in his body that feeds information to Ock and HYDRA o_O.

Sinister Six Counter: Vulture's change of heart and subsequent transformation into a mindless husk pretty much curbed his chances of joining the Six, leaving the group still at 2 members.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dragnatek

I'm thinking the traitor is Rhino. It could be a similar situation to Adrien, perhaps Ock is offering to help bring back Alex's intelligence.

7. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I really want to see them tie up that loose plot end of Alex/Rhino meeting his family again after (probably) a couple years or so. That seems like something that would be worth exploring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I think it's Scarlet Spider. I distinctly remember vulture uttering "Spider" last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Vulture confirmed it wasn't any of the teachers or scientists and ended with "Spider" so I think it has to be one of the Web Warriors. Kaine makes the most sense given Ock's experiments on him could make him a spy without Kaine even knowing :eek:.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So...another surprisingly good episode.

The whole overprotective Peter thing was a biiiit much (I almost yelled at the TV when he gave away an invisible Miles location), but I did enjoy the flipside of Miles explaining that he wanted to protect Peter because he already saw one Peter die.

Like everyone else, I like Vulture's new look, much cooler. His fight with Iron Patriot was cool. I wasn't expecting Harry to don the suit; at this point, it's only a matter of time until Harry finally finds out about his friend's secret identity.

And the plot thickens. This is the most invested I've been in a USM story. I hope season four can keep up this momentum!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

season 4 is possibly the best season of spiderman so far! this is the one season thats developing a proper storyline and its great.
    also im going to assume the traitor is agent venom because there is an upcoming episode called Double Agent Venom and usually double agent means they are a traitor but who knows....

12. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

Really liking this season so far. The plot has been building every episode and each episode continues into the next one while still feeling like they could stand alone. Vulture's new design is cool and the fight scenes were great, as per usual. Don't know how I feel about a Norman Osborn who's a good dad. Just feels weird but whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Alright, so now we know Batroc made it off the Helicarrier and didn't get shot into space. And he got an armor upgrade.

I liked the subplot of Peter being over-protective of Miles. I like that it's because of Peter's sense of guilt that he's trapped in another dimension.

So Doc Ock is captured by SHIELD. Though I imagine it's only a matter of time before he busts out again. Obviously his spy will bust him out when the time is right.

Obviously, Kaine is the obvious spy candidate, but that might even be too obvious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dragnatek

I researched the episode, I must have missed what Vulture said the first time around. You guys are right he did hint the spy wasn't a teacher or student but a spider.

15. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

It could be Amadeus for all we know. He's smart but not street smart.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty great episode. The relationship between Peter and Miles felt like a weird idea to me, or at least I never really considered the two could have that kind of a sibling bond, but it played out well enough. I did like the parallel between them and the Osborns in this story, and how it affected Spidey by the end. Some good stuff, and a decent explanation as to why Peter wanted to keep Miles safe and the latter's reasoning for wanting to protect Peter himself.

Miles getting his new code-name of Kid Arachnid was a decent enough side-story, and some of the possible names he came up with were pretty amusing. I wasn't expecting Ock to be the one who names him. It will take a while to get used to this new name for Miles but it's not that bad. Though to be honest a name like Kid Arachnid sounds like it belongs in the Legion of Super Heroes to me.

The Osborn family sub-plot was pretty interesting and I liked the return of the Iron Patriot armor, and the debut of the Patrioteer armor (though I don't really care for its name), which was a nice surprise. Harry growing up and taking on this mantle to protect his father was a neat little moment and like I said it mirrored Spidey's dilemma. I thought the bit about Norman being a pro at video games would be too silly, but I liked seeing this more happy version of the family especially when compared to how their family dynamics have usually been portrayed before. I'm not sure if it will last though.

The Vulture was a decent adversary though I thought it was pretty predictable Doc Ock was tricking him into attacking, without really having anything to offer in return about his past. Still, his armor look was pretty cool, but the final evolution into the black and red design similar to how he looked at times in the comics was even better. If only Ock would have received a cooler look thanks to the nano-bots instead of the creepy one he's stuck with.

I like how they're slowly building the story this season, the pacing seems right and it does feel like continuity will play a larger role than before. The revelation that Ock has a spy was handled pretty well; I don't really have any theories about who it could be but I'm hoping it will be fun seeing the characters try to figure things out, and then the pay-off will be worth the wait. All in all, a surprisingly good episode which kept things moving along nicely, and sets up some more future stories as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dragnatek

I was right the traitor was Rhino, apparently Vulture's last words were saying the traitor was not a spider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I dunno, something about Connor's confession makes me cast doubt that all is as it seems. Like even Connors doesn't seem sure that Rhino is the traitor.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Conners didn't seem sure that it was Rhino that smashed all his Lizard cures, so there may have been another double-agent, or a real double-agent and Rhino's really innocent.

"Lizards" already emphasized the fact that Conners would never willingly want to transform in the Lizard, and he actually regained his senses to help Spider-Man by the end, so I doubt he's really a traitor.