TTA Episode Discussion: "Prom-ise Her Anything"

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by wiley207, Jan 26, 2010.

1. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

OK folks, tonight's Tiny Toons episode discussion is one of my personal favorite episodes of the whole series... "Prom-ise Her Anything!" This was the 17th episode to air, but was the 24th in production order. By this point the Tiny Toons staff had pretty much gotten the distinctive humor down, though there is still a bit of late 1980s' Hanna-Barbera -esque humor to it. Let's take a look...

(I apologize if I went overboard with the images; after all, this IS one of my all-time favorite episodes!)

[​IMG]
    Written by: Paul Dini and Bob Carrau
    Storyboards by: Barry Caldwell, John Dorman and Jim Fletcher
    Directed by: Ken Boyer
    Animation by: Wang Film Productions

[​IMG]
    OK, so it starts out as an ordinary day at Acme Looniversity, until Gogo Dodo comes out to do his cuckoo clock routine, "Cuckoo, cuckoo! Prom time drives everyone cuckoo!" He then whips out a violin and begins performing a square dance song, getting everyone hyped up about the prom.

[​IMG]
    Naturally, Babs is DYING to ask Buster out for the prom, but Buster obviously stalls and acts nervous. He later reveals to us that he doesn't even know how to dance! (Where's Glen Kennedy when you need him?!)

[​IMG]
    Elmyra Duff wants to ask out Montana Max, who keeps insisting he doesn't even wanna go to the prom, let alone go with Elmyra! BTW, Plucky goes with Shirley, and Hamton goes with Fifi, but let's not start any rumors ;)

[​IMG]
    Buster goes to the film vault after school to watch a movie reel of Bugs Bunny's old dance moves, which is shown via stock footage from "Hot Cross Bunny" (1949).

[​IMG]
    Buster's got it down, even with the scatting! He finds it perfect, but Bugs recommends against dancing like that at the prom. But Buster won't listen, and goes to tell Babs.

[​IMG]
    Back at Babs's house (with her many little brothers and sisters), Babs has been waiting so long for Buster to call that she's literally climbing the walls! And when Buster DOES call, Babs is angry, but then softens up when Buster says he WILL take her to the prom.

[​IMG]
    Then we get one of Mary Melody's bigger roles; she's an anchorwoman for Looniversity TV, reporting on how it's prom-crazy at the Loo! ("Par-TYYYY!" Dizzy Devil cries out, and Calamity Coyote attempts to decorate the gymnasium with nasty results.)

[​IMG]
    The Tasmanian Devil is also selling tuxes, and tries to select ones for Plucky and Hamton. Things get rather crazy, until Bugs and Daffy carry Taz out in a straight jacket!

[​IMG]
    Eventually, prom night arrives, and among seeing how Babs is dressed for the event, Buster goes nuts! Great work on Charlie Adler's part here, voicing Buster acting all head-over-heels for the girl.

[​IMG]
    A semi-running gag in this episode is when the appropriate sax music is playing in the background for the wooing scenes with Buster and Babs, it's revealed that Lil' Sneezer is playing the saxophone for them! ("I also play bar mitzvahs," he comments here.)

[​IMG]
    Over at the prom, everyone is so far having a good time. Even a bunch of obscure background characters that only appear in this episode!

[​IMG]
    Even Arnold's got a date; Arnolda (a female pitbull that looks like Arnold in drag.)

[​IMG]
    Among arriving, Babs says she's gonna go into the powder room ("Girls, always painting themselves," Buster comments), while inside the powder room, the girls are being made up with the animators' paintbrushes!

[​IMG]
    Elmyra arrives at the prom looking rather sexy. I get a kick out of her "mink" revealed to be Furrball!

[​IMG]
    Naturally, where there's a party, Dizzy Devil is bound to show up. He's even got a date; the very sexy Mitzi! She's pretty much like what you get putting Red Hot Riding Hood, Jessica Rabbit and Tina Carlyle in a blender.

[​IMG]
    All the other guys go gaga over Mitzi, but their dates manage to wallop them!

[​IMG]
    Elmyra is depressed about Montana Max not being there, so Buster and Babs burrow off to Rio, where they find Monty partying, and snag him back to the prom. There, Monty is already in a bad mood, until he is instantly aroused by Mitzi!

[​IMG]
    But the rabbits make sure Elmyra gets her wish, and Montana Max's catcalls and howls change into a scream as he hurtles toward Elmyra! Once there, he yells at her, saying that he doesn't like her at all (even comparing her to a toaster oven!) Naturally, Elmyra's sobbing and feeling pretty lousy, until after things die down a bit, and Monty, feeling bad (thank goodness!), apologizes to Elmyra (even saying she's a microwave oven instead of a toaster oven), and instantly Elmyra is cheered up and dancing with him, much to his regret.

[​IMG]
    Bugs Bunny thanks our bunny heroes for getting Monty and Elmyra together. Bugs also warns Buster to not use that zany dance, but when Babs asks her date to dance with her...

[​IMG]
    Buster ignores Bugs's warning and does the dance anyway! Everyone stops as Buster feels embarrassed, and Babs looks pretty ticked off...

[​IMG]
    But Bugs comes to the rescue, performing the same zany dance with Buster, and soon EVERYONE joins in! Even Babs forgives Buster and joins in, too.

[​IMG]
    Animation-wise, it looks pretty good despite some of Wang's trademark thick-lined drawings. I like this dance sequence with Plucky and Shirley, their movements are the trademark fast Wang style, and it reminds me of how some characters danced in the Disney cartoons of the 1930s and 1940s!

[​IMG]
    Here's an unusual animation glitch when Buster runs off to call Babs. Turns out Bugs Bunny's cel was put in FRONT of Buster, making it look that Buster suddenly got bigger than Bugs! It does look rather awkward.

[​IMG]
    One of my favorite lines in this episode is after Mary Melody meets up with Gogo Dodo's "date" (a fire hydrant), Mary comments to her date, "I really gotta transfer out of this school!" It's right up there with her "Another cameo, another paycheck" line.

[​IMG]
    And another favorite bit of mine is when Gogo is seen with what looks like an alcohol bottle and supposedly spikes the punch, and Plucky takes a sip, only to cough out a railroad spike, revealing that Gogo LITERALLY spiked the punch!

[​IMG]
    One of my favorite sight gags in this episode is when Montana Max lusts over Mitzi, and his head morphs into a howling cartoonish wolf! Great reference to "Red Hot Riding Hood" here, but I think this visual gag was performed much better in "The Mask" four years later.

Overall, I really really like this episode. Proms are an easy subject to make fun of, it seems. And this was the first of many "party"-related episodes Tiny Toons and Animaniacs (ESPECIALLY the latter) would go on to do as a somewhat-standard formula. Even my younger brother loves this episode too! (He even recorded a WAV file of Dizzy Devil's "Par-TYYY!"

Any comments?

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This was definitely one of the better ensemble episodes. Everything about it just worked, and the gags were mostly pretty funny ("Why are you talking to her BACK?!"; "You can NEVER say 'party' in ACME Acres; if you do, HE might show up."). As for Wang's animation, it wasn't quite up to seasons 2 and 3 quality yet, but at least the thick-lined nature of their early outings was pretty much gone. Actually, the first episode to showcase the thinner-outlined character models (production order-wise) was debatably "Dating, ACME Acres Style".

Points of interest:
    -I never noticed that "Bugs smaller than Buster" error before. I'll have to rewatch it. Was that just for a frame or two, or for the whole cut?

-This is Laurence Rosenthal's only outing as composer for TTA. Not too many familiar songs in this one, and the only three used were public domain songs ("Skip to My Lou", "Alouette", and the oft-quoted school song "Gaudeamus Igitur"), but good despite that.

-Something always bothered me: Babs's mountain climbing outfit. I know it's just a cartoon and she's a bunny, but boy is that revealing, as only suspenders are covering her otherwise shirt-free chest. Amazed they got away with that.

-The toons may not like Elmyra, but this episode is significant in that they realize who the bigger enemy REALLY is: Monty. The lesser of two evils, if you will.

Anyway, one of season 1's highlights to be sure.

3. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I think it was for all the frames of Buster running toward the camera. It's most noticeable when you freeze-frame it.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Also should mention: This episode has the best use of Taz in the Tiny Toons series. "Friar tux!" "Me do alterations while you wait!" (goes into whirlwind)

Yeah, having rewatched that scene, it's pretty understandable if one doesn't catch it, as it goes by pretty fast.

To me, a far more noticeable example of characters being smaller than they should be is in the Street Fighter cartoon, when Dee Jay exits an elevator and continually shrinks as he gets close to an enemy, who stays the same size.

5. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Kath Soucie besides voicing Fifi and Sneezer also voices Mary Melody in the TTA prom episode.

6. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

It was also the episode that introduces Fifi and Hamton as an official couple.

I think...

7. aalong64

aalong64 Active Member

This was one of the first episodes I saw, on that video with "Thirteensomething", and I really remember loving it. I haven't seen it recently, but this thread makes me want to.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Sorry, but Kath Soucie never voiced Mary Melody. Mary Melody was voiced by Cree Summer in "Prom-ise Her Anything", as she was in all of the character's appearances except for "Cross Country Kitty", where MM was voiced by Cindy McGee.

#8 Goldstar Neo, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  9. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

This truly is a classic episode of the series. I like many of the things that have already been mentioned by others.

By the way, outside of this episode were there very many other episodes where Hamton and Fifi were a couple? I think it might have been mentioned/hinted in one episode where the girls go camping.... Not sure of the title or main plot but I think it had Elmyra in an Elvyra spoof.

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

That was "The Horror of Slumber Party Mountain", a sendup of horror movies hosted by Elmyra, 'The Mistress Who's a Dork'.

But offhand, that's the only other episode which I can recall where Hamton and Fifi were implied to be anything resembling a couple.