Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Bonus Round thread (2018 edition)!

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Apr 1, 2018.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to...

The Bonus Round Thread! (2018 edition)

In addition to the 64 contenders in the regular tournament, we're going to add on 4 Bubble Contenders that have a chance to break into the main tournament!! In a nutshell, I felt there were a few extra shows that merited consideration for inclusion.

Here's how it'll work:

Monday: Bonus Match #1: Bubble Team #1 vs. Bubble Team #2
    Tuesday: Bonus Match #2: Bubble Team #3 vs. Bubble Team #4
    Wednesday: Winner of Match #1 vs. Winner of Match #2
    Thursday: Winner of Wednesday's match battles a team in the main tournament to take it's spot in the tournament.

And now a reminder of the rules:

Voting is simple: Just post which of the two contestants of the day you find to be more awesome! Please, no editing your posts, once your vote is cast, help simplify things for me and don't change it. So be sure you are certain which one you want to vote for when you post! Feel free to debate it amongst yourselves for a while before casting your votes, but remember: each match runs no more than 24 hours!

2. wonderfly

Bonus Match #1:

Samurai Pizza Cats!

Versus:

3. wonderfly

Rocko's Modern Life!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rocko's Modern Life hands down, I've been a big fan of that show as it still holds up very well.

5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rocko's Modern Life for me.

6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ninja Commando

Rocko’s Modern Life.

7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rocko's Modern Life

8. LinusFan303

LinusFan303 A Fan of Linus Van Pelt

Rocko's Modern Life gets my vote

9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Rocko. I’ve never seen Samurai Pizza Cats, but I doubt that I would like it more than Rocko.

10. wonderfly

"Samurai Pizza Cats" is an anime that aired in syndication on American TV in the early to mid 90's. I also believe it was the first anime of the 90's to air on American TV - this was prior to Sailor Moon premiering in 1995.

The name was obviously a twist on the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" concept, the concept was corny as could be, but it was fun to watch.

Anyway, I remembered enjoying it, so I figured I'd give it a shout out. I personally don't remember ever watching "Rocko's Modern Life", but I know it had a following.

11. wonderfly

It appears to be unanimous!

The Winner:

Rocko's Modern Life!!

Onward, to the next match!

12. wonderfly

Bonus Match #2

Sonic the Hedgehog!

Versus:

13. wonderfly

Prince Valiant!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Sonic the Hedgehog, easy. Still one of the best video game cartoon adaptions. The cliffhanger ending is annoying, though,

15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I’m voting for Sonic Sat AM only because I’m slightly more familiar with it.

16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Haven't watched much from either show, but I'll vote for Sonic the Hedgehog.

17. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll go for Sonic because it had an awesome intro and I've always been a big Sonic fan in general.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's a shame that I missed the start of the bonus round too. I would have voted for Rocko's Modern Life, but at least that did win. I remember having fun watching the show when I was little and it still holds up pretty well based on what I've seen on the Splat. I've heard of Samurai Pizza Cats before and the intro was cute fun, but I've never seen it.

As for this round, I'll go with Sonic The Hedgehog. I don't know if I saw it when it was airing new episodes, but I do remember renting some video tapes of the series from Blockbusters a couple of times, along with the other 90's Sonic cartoon. I definitely think that I liked it considering I got a couple of issues of the Archie Sonic comic featuring some of the SatAM characters. I even got a few copies of the Knuckles comic too. I didn't keep up with the comics for too long, but it must have been an indication of how much I like the show. I should try to rewatch it since I never saw the whole series and it is available On Demand for free too.

I don't think that I've ever seen Prince Valiant, but the theme song sounds familiar. It might have been featured in another tournament or I just forgot where I did hear it before. It sounds nice, but I'll go with the show that I'm a bit more familiar with.

19. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ninja Commando

I'm gonna vote for Sonic the Hedgehog, but Prince Valiant was way more intense than I was expecting. A quality show, but episode 1 wasn't enough to warrant the randomizer. Of three new shows I've been introduced to I think I'm most likely to come back and pick this one up.

20. wonderfly

Alright, I admit, while I can think of several other 90's cartoons, "Sonic the Hedgehog" and "Rocko's Modern Life" were the only ones I was like "Oh yeah, those should possibly be in the tournament, and people will remember those".

So "Samurai Pizza Cats" and "Prince Valiant" were a shout out to some personal favorites of my own.

Everything else that popped into my head, I didn't think would be well known enough, or was too terrible to warrant inclusion.

Well, there's also "Batman Beyond", but even though it premiered in 1999, I think of that as more of an early 2000's cartoon, and I felt hesitant enough as it was by including "Digimon" and "Cybersix"...when you factor in Batman Beyond's spinoff "The Zeta Project" (2001) and Terry's appearances in Justice League Unlimited (2004 to 2006), I'm fine with listing Batman Beyond in with the 2000's.