1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

When the show first aired on the channel in 2001, standards and practices were very different. They were a lot more concerned about children possibly watching the block.

#6941 SpaceCowboy, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Off topic but to this day I still find it beyond ironic that Toonami got the mature Outlaw Star and Adult Swim got the Battle Shonen Yu Yu Hakusho

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Hmm. Outlaw Star started airing on Toonami in January 2001, probably before Cartoon Network had finalized their plans for the Adult Swim block (which started in September 2001).

Yu Yu Hakusho started airing on Adult Swim in February 2002, with the launch of the "Adult Swim Action" block.

They way I hear it, almost all of the "Adult Swim Action" material in 2002 was originally meant to air on Toonami (Inuyasha, Gundam 0083, Pilot Candidate). That's why I feel the first year or two of anime on Adult Swim (in 2002 and 2003) is interchangeable with "Toonami Midnight Run". The one exception being "Cowboy Bebop".

4. SpaceCowboy

But YYH only lasted one season on AS before it got bumped to daytime Toonami, where the rest of the series aired. The AS episodes only had a few light edits for content to keep the show around a TV-PG or 14, but Toonami's were much more heavily censored down to Y7 levels.

The daytime Toonami version had a lot of digital retouching to remove blood from the fight scenes, characters chain-smoking, and alcoholism. The only noticeable edit I remember the Adult Swim version had was in an early episode, where the main character lifts up a girl's skirt.

#6944 SpaceCowboy, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Whats your point, I never said YYH never moved to Toonami or that Toonami didn't edit Outlaw Star

6. SpaceCowboy

My point is YYH on Adult Swim seemed like a mistake, because it got moved to a children's block after it was found out too many kids were watching it. I didn't say anything about Outlaw Star.

#6946 SpaceCowboy, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a show with a serious tone, watch Steven Universe. It has comedic elements, but that's by no means a disqualifier. I also don't think action shows are dead, many of their better qualities just merged into other genres. Even ignoring the wealth of quality non-action series airing now, I take umbrage at the idea that "there's nothing to watch on TV", because stuff like Transformers: Robots in Disguise and Justice League Action still exist and if I may be frank, deserve a lot more attention. As for the "purer" action series from a few years back, their lack of ratings/merchandise sales just as often spelled their doom as innate bias on the part of networks executives did.

On the topic of 80's/90's action shows, I've watched enough to know that their openings were often more action packed than the shows proper.

...On the topic at hand, someone suggested Blood Blockade Battlefront as a substitute for Lupin III, and I wouldn't mind that just to see what the hype's about (and to hear that excellent credits theme again).

8. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Lupin's replacement is in, and you probably won't be happy about it.

10:30p – Dragon Ball Super
    11:00p – Dragon Ball Z Kai
    11:30p – Black Clover
    12:00a – JoJo: Stardust Crusaders
    12:30a – Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
    1:00a – Hunter x Hunter
    1:30am – Naruto: Shippuden
    2:00am – Outlaw Star
    2:30am – Space Dandy
    3:00am – Cowboy Bebop
    3:30am – GITS 2nd GIG

Effective the 27th.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. SpaceCowboy

Space Dandy? I liked that show.

10. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

Well here's the video

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I was hoping for something new...but I know some people who missed this show the first time around.

12. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like the show too, but it feels like a downgrade to replace a new series with a repeat.

But like Gold Guy says, this is good for those who missed it the first time around. And it's also good news for Naruto fans, as Shippuden moves up a half hour.

13. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

According to Demarco, we were supposed to get a new show, but legal issues are delaying its debut.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well that is disappointing. I've been really curious about Lupin's replacement for awhile, especially when I thought we'd hear something last month about it. I wonder if the legal issues prevented them from announcing it earlier too. Space Dandy isn't a bad show, but it does feel disappointing to replace a premiere with another rerun. At least they'll eventually air this new show and this was due to legal complications. Maybe they'll air it once Outlaw Star finishes up. That's the only show on the lineup that will end anytime soon and Space Dandy would work as part of the rerun section of the block, especially if they cover both seasons. It probably depends on when they can resolve whatever issues they're having with their new show.

On the bright side, I might be able to catch Outlaw Star on the block live since I'm usually too tired to wait until 2:30AM to watch it. Or I can go straight to sleep right after Hunter x Hunter airs and catch Outlaw Star On Demand like I normally do.

15. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge "I don't need a job, I need money." - Dan

4 reruns at the end (reminds me of the last time it was on 11:30-6), but me personally like that Dandy gets another go. Mostly in part that 14-26 will play for the second time ever - while 1-13 have a 4th go. We'll probably see the shortened intro theme but perhaps at least the first week we get lucky and get the full intro. I've since collected both releases and have the whole thing but I may opt to record the weekly showings for fun. Already doing that with OS and I've had all of that too some-odd years. I do also like Shippuden and Outlaw Star show 30m earlier. Hopefully it works out for the block.

16. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Space Dandy reruns, eh? That's too bad, but at least Outlaw Star is on a bit earlier now.

17. GolfDude

GolfDude Member

what if toonami tried to pick up a comedy show this season , like a simuldub of pop team epic, but b/c of all the references, theres a lot of legal issues to clear up before they would be able to air it.. i wonder if that could be what they were planning to originally air..

18. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Legal issues are the least of the problems, if the latest episode is any indication (i.e. the possible need to to an American version of a couple of live-action scenes, a bit that would require a lot translation for people to get a good chunk of the humor).

19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Huge news!!!!! FLCL this summer (most likely to replace Kai)! We can finally be hyped about something big happening.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's pretty cool. It's nice to get some news for the new seasons of FLCL and something new for the block, even if it is quite a few months from now.