"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

One non-action show would be fine.

2. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

I've seen Cromartie High School. It's good, but it's not specifically an action series.

Adult Swim has done comedy anime in the past, but with mixed results. They had Shin-Chan for a couple of years, but then there was that dub of Super Milk-Chan they ran with the Japanese pop culture references nobody understood...

3. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

The former I enjoyed for a while until I bored of it (much so). I think I only ever watched Season 1 to my knowledge.

As for the latter, I enjoyed not understanding any references :D - somehow that show worked to me, and I especially enjoyed that like Big O II, they originally aired it for their Sunday lineup (at 12:30 where both Saturday & Sunday ratings reports were done which made it a lil more fun to watch, but I did like Milk-Chan anyway). Given Milk-Chan is comedy and not action, but still was fun to see another anime premier outside of ASA (and again, on a Sunday).

I can't think of any non-action anime I'd want to see on the block. Interesting thought DeMarco came up with, and really to think about it, [as] in general (and I feel I pointed this out elsewhere like just yesterday maybe) always like to have fun with what they do and take random ... risks?... They love to have fun with their viewers trying unique things (Fish Center even if during DVR theater, something like 4 Sunday 1ams in a row of Boo Boo Runs Wild, etc.), so I just see this as another of their unique ideas to have fun with their programming even if this is an idea for Toonami.

Painting a picture, I wonder if they'd start the block with it to mellow from comedy to action, and if whether they get 10pm for that comedy or simply move certain shows down to let it take 10:30.

4. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Maybe there's hope for Konosuba and it's girl of the year. Toonami shows with cute female characters do well regardless of whether or not the show itself sucks (look at how big a hit Akame ga Kill was).

[​IMG]

5. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I've heard the dub didn't redo the songs in English, but left them in Japanese with subs and that's like half the show. It probably made more sense to air it on a channel that airs Kpop.
    It's ironic the first episode of Milk-chan was devoted to a parody of Jotaro Kuji from the Stardust Crusaders arc, but it aired over a decade too early for most Adult Swim viewers to get it.

#6905 SpaceCowboy, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  6. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

What about Ms. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid? It is lighthearted and has a female lead.

Yuri On Ice?

7. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Yuri on Ice probably won't do well as I remember that bishonen with no action hasn't had a good history on the block. Still, Toonami could use shows with female appeal. Bishojo seems to be a recipe for good ratings while bishonen has had just two notable hits (Gundam Wing and Rurouni Kenshin). It has to have action to be popular.

8. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I think KonoSuba would be a great dub premiere - it's got fanservice, but it's not entirely inaccessible to a wider audience. The problem is that we don't really know who has the license (it's likely Crunchyroll, but if that's the case it doesn't make sense that they haven't done anything with it yet).

As much as I love Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, it probably wouldn't do well on Toonami. The fanservice would likely be a turn-off to a wider audience; the show was tame to me as a seasoned anime fan, but my mom reacted negatively to scenes she saw such as Kanna "riding" a blushing Saikawa on Christmas.

9. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Ah right, I was mainly thinking of non action anime. Haven't watched either of them, so wasn't really aware of how much fanservice it had.

Other than Parasyte, has Toonami had other horror anime?

10. SpaceCowboy

Would Trinity Blood count?

11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Adult Swim already aired that years ago.

12. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

As they did Eureka Seven, Outlaw Star, Samurai Champloo... ;)

I'd forgotten about Trinity Blood. I liked what I'd seen from it and may re-welcome if they considered bringing it back.

13. SpaceCowboy

I meant did Trinity Blood count as a horror title AS had aired in the past, like Parasyte?

14. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Anyone remember Chiller's anime block they had for two weeks? It was a cool idea, but few people have Chiller and it came on late at night on Wednesday, when people have work the next day. It would be cool to have a better thought out way to insert horror anime on cable.

15. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

I asked if Toonami has ever aired horror anime(other than Parasyte) because there are quite a few horror anime, also because a Junji Ito anthology series is being produced.

So ideas for horror they could air: the aforementioned Junji Ito anthology(once it comes out), Shiki, Ghost Stories, and any other horror series that exists.

16. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Ghost Stories? That would be an...interesting choice.

17. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

I mean there are apparently two dubs: the original that is basically an abridged series due to the anime doing so poorly in Japan that the studio told the people doing the dub to do whatever they wanted so long as they didn't change any names, and the second dub that is more professional.

So Toonami could choose to air the gag dub or the regular one.

18. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

The non-gag dub was done by Animax and would be difficult for them to get their hands on (Discotek doesn't even have it on their more recent DVD release). Also, it's aimed at children, and like you said, did poorly—because it was boring. It'd be ratings suicide.

The gag dub might fare better.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've only seen bits of the gag dub. While it was funny and it would probably fit with the comedy shows on Adult Swim, it would really stand out like a sore thumb on Toonami.

20. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Hey guys. So I've noticed that over this past year (and perhaps longer) we've had some difficulty in getting talk back threads started up for some of the Toonami shows (mainly new ones), pretty much since we just don't have people volunteering to start them up. So in the interest of ensuring that we always have a place to discuss the Toonami shows as they air, perhaps, instead of making individual talk back threads for each show, maybe we could make one all-inclusive thread for all the Toonami shows each week.

Just an idea I had that I'm tossing out there, and something to think about over the holidays.