"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't mind seeing Blue Exorcist again. I was one of the few people here who liked the show. I'd really like to see the second season that came out awhile ago, but it was only twelve episodes and the dub being on Hulu probably means that Toonami can't get it if the situation with My Hero Academia is any indication. I'd pass on Soul Eater since I didn't like it and I think fifty one episodes would be too much for a rerun slot anyway.

2. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I have the digital bikini versions of those episodes still, and it'd be amusing if they used those...however, it'd probably be a pain to resync/remaster the VHS-quality footage with Funimation's remaster. They'd probably pixelate the nudity.

3. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Which is what I believe they'll do exactly. Otherwise a lot of the other secular material used shouldn't be a problem given the wide range of shows [as] has aired over the years including the comedies they do now.

Behind the thought is while it'd take a year, it'd at least give them the extra half year to not have to get anything else out there and can focus on the earlier portion of the schedule. GITS being 52 total episodes in itself takes a good while even if they own it and its rerun numerous times, this'd at least be fresh rerun and possibly garner more interest. There's still plenty to swap out Outlaw and Bebop with including chances at dream shows and older reruns, so I wouldn't think SE would be too bad of a choice even if it took a little over a year. Still don't believe it's happening, just a thought ;) If anything I can really only see them trying Kai at the end of the block for reruns if they were to relish the thought, and possibly from the first episode.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Just to bring this premature thought up now, curious how they'll go about FLCL once that returns. Do they air the original 6 late since it too has had numerous repeats or early enough as a hope to get viewers more hyped up for FLCL 2? On that subject, curious whether or not once 2 is done and figuring [as] will own it, if they move it for a rerun slot later for just 6 weeks or give it a second rerun round or simply place another show there instead. This leaning toward the rerun possibilities for the near end part of the block.

Though it's happened before (via Burger King contest I believe), all 6 FLCL episodes have played in 3 hours, they could just do that the week before 2 premiers should they already have or plan in store the next series to replace the next ones to end. Assuming marathons take place Dec 23 and Dec 30, Lupin will be done Jan 6 I believe.

Upon further thought, I honestly hope they don't do 11-episode marathons and just start them at 11 meaning I'm hoping we see new Dragon Ball Super episodes Dec 23 and Dec 30. If they don't I understand from a holiday perspective, but I think 10 episodes are good enough for reruns. Perhaps finally DBS will get its marathon debut one of those weeks. Kai has already had two just since Labor Day weekend. If they were to pull another Kai marathon of all the latest episodes to that point, the latter half of the episodes from the last marathon would be the first half of the December marathon, which makes no sense at all, so pretty sure Kai wont be one of them, which gives them great opportunity for a Super marathon. Then there's the matter of the other show, which I see them doing JoJo.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm just thinking of other possible "post-2012" Toonami shows that never truly got the "3:00 am rerun" treatment, specifically the premiere anime's that ran from 2012 to 2014, before the scaling back on Toonami to "3 hours" in early 2015. That's around when the rerun slot became such an honor ("the show is so awesome, it deserves an encore!").

Besides Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater, "Deadman Wonderland" would've been a fine choice, though it already got the 3 am rerun treatment in 2015, after the scaling back of Toonami. Another good choice might've been "Eureka Seven", though that already aired at 3 am (in 2013), since it technically already aired a few years prior on Adult Swim. Not sure "Samurai 7" and "Casshern Sins" were popular enough to warrant a 3 am rebroadcast treatment.

"Inuyasha: The Final Act" is indeed probably the best choice among what's not re-aired. But if Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell keep coming back, maybe another broadcast of Deadman Wonderland or Eureka Seven would be fitting.

5. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

If they decided to sub in the bikini footage with the HD version, there would be a noticeable drop in quality in those scenes.
    If they pixelated the nudity, they would have to be careful of shots where Ryoko is walking around other characters so that surrounding characters' faces don't accidently get pixeled as well. A specific scene where she's with Tenchi comes to mind.

#6865 SpaceCowboy, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

Well we have a Christmas marathon and it's not DBZ.

7. wonderfly

[​IMG]

On one hand, I love the classics... but....they already did a Cowboy Bebop marathon back in December, 2013. *sigh*

And haven't they had a Cowboy Bebop marathon on Adult Swim in years past, prior to Toonami being on Adult Swim?

First DBZ "Buu Saga", next Cowboy Bebop, might as well be complete and have the New Years marathon be "Ghost in the Shell" or "Outlaw Star".

#6867 wonderfly, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. wjbraden

wjbraden Member

@wonderfly Come on now, don't be surprised, there's every reason to have another marathon, especially considering how well the ratings were for the Kai marathon on Thanksgiving. Don't be disappointed again when they announce a New Years Marathon in the coming week, either. Also something interesting to note, 10:30 is the earliest Bebop has ever aired, which is neat, I guess.

@Dan I'm thinking they're going to run FLCL 1 & 2 in the midnight slot, to refresh people's memories and gather interest. If they don't run FLCL 3 directly after 2, I'm thinking they'll push reruns of 1 & 2 later into the night for 12 weeks and then bump it back up to midnight for the final 6 episodes. We'll have to see though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Uh maybe I'm burned on regular Cartoon Network doing "wait it's a day that ends with Y? That's enough of an excuse to do a 6 hour Teen Titans Go marathon" for most of it's schedule, but having a Cowboy Bebop marathon for the first time in... 4 years isn't really that bad. Especially since unlike a lot of the other shows currently on Toonami, CB is much more episodic in nature so having the first 11 episodes air honestly make sense then showing just a selection of 11 other episodes of most other shows. Not to mention these marathons are only done because generally audiences don't watch new episodes during holidays so there again is at least REASONING behind it. Which is more then some other channels are on series that usually wind up airing more then once a week like CB does.

10. wonderfly

My problem (well, it's more of a "mild irritation" than a "problem") isn't that they're airing a marathon - we all knew that was coming. It's that it's Cowboy Bebop. Why not a Lupin marathon? Or a JoJo marathon? Or if the reason is "It's the holidays, no one's watching, who cares" then for pity's sake, give us a Shippuden marathon. We still have yet to have one of those.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if Lupin is popular enough to warrant a marathon, although it would be fitting for a marathon if they wanted to go for a largely episodic series. I don't know if Jojo has enough episodes for a marathon, but they could be saving that for a New Year's Eve marathon too. I can understand wanting to see other series get the marathon treatment, but if the biggest compliant about going with Cowboy Bebop is that they had a marathon for it four years ago, then I don't see the issue here.

12. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

Well, at least it's not another Dragon Ball Z Kai or Samurai Jack marathon (at least for this Christmas). Maybe one of the animes wonderfly has mentioned two posts above will get the marathon treatment on New Year's.

13. wonderfly

Hmm, did some research, and there wasn't as many Cowboy Bebop marathons in the past as I thought. A couple from 2002 and the one from 2013. I thought they would've aired one in 2003 or 2004, or sometime between 2006 and 2012 (yes, they had the broadcast rights over most of those years).

Anyway, the ones I did find:

July 20th, 2002 and July 27th, 2002
    The first (and second) Cowboy Bebop marathon. This was back when "Adult Swim Action" was 3 hours long, from 11 pm to 2 am. They would air 6 random episodes of Cowboy Bebop. They were doing marathons that July (because ratings sucked in the summer?), before launching the premiere of Inuyasha on July 31st, 2002 (which kicked off the next wave of anime on Adult Swim). On a side note, they did Yu Yu Hakusho marathons July 6th and July 13th, before the 2 week Bebop marathon.

Discussion thread for the 1st marathon on Toonzone can be read here.
    Here's the discussion thread for the 2nd marathon.

December 28th, 2013:
    The conclusion of the "Toonami's Month of Movies" , featuring the premiere of "Trigun: Badlands Rumble" on this night, followed by 9 random episodes of Cowboy Bebop. A fitting end to that month.

Here's a relevant thread on Toonzone about the schedule that week.

EDIT: Promo for the 2002 marathon:

14. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And now we have a Dragon Ball Super marathon on the 30th, with Toonami promising eleven of the latest eps.

15. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

He's right we're ending 2017 with a Dragon Ball Marathon and this time is Super!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At least it's a different show that hasn't gotten a marathon yet. I was almost expecting a Jojo marathon, but ending the year with Dragon Ball Super is more fitting for the block.

17. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Well... at least I can say I called the DBS one - but woooow. Bebop? I definitely expected JoJo based on the current shows they're airing to be most favored away from anything DB. I'll be intrigued to see the numbers both shows perform. Why both meaning Super? Well, it'll be DBS' first-ever marathon so vs Kai - and though every marathon is a different holiday period throughout the year - I'll be interested to see how a Super marathon does vs Kai. Bebop because of age, despite the new masters [as] received.

I remember those YYH and CB marathons from the original ASA rather well. A couple of my favorite Bebops were part of the second week I believe while the first week they focused on the couple 2-parters plus 2 other various episodes.

One of these days I think it'd be interesting if they did two shorter marathons of a couple shows in one night. After Dec 30, I'd think the next marathon would be Memorial Day weekend. To the point, would be neat to have say Bebop take the 10:30-1:30 portion (6 episodes), then something else like Outlaw Star take 1:30-4 (5 episodes) and still be the latest episodes of both.

I'm neutral on Bebop getting one still, but in the end as mentioned we all saw those marathons coming so it's not that surprising... but it is still surprising :p. Fun fact though, it'll Be-Bop's first-ever airing before 11:00pm. I think after 10:30pm it'll have officially aired at least once in every time slot by 6:00am since it's US debut. We know it's had 11-2 also as mentioned before back in 2002. I know it's also had the full 4am and 5am hour. It's at 3:00am now, and sure it had 3:30am. The part I need to research is airing in the 2am hour. If it somehow has not, then both or either 2am or 2:30am along with 10:30pm will complete the book. Not that out of the ordinary given other shows have had it happen in a similar manner whether starting at 11 or later, but given Bebop's long tenure, it's cool for it to be on as early as 10:30pm even if possibly only one time ever.

Also going back to them eventually playing "Hot Springs Planet Tenrei" to Outlaw Star, I really-really would enjoy if they made a special promo and labeled it accurately as a "U.S. Television Premier". "New episode" is too far gone since its original home video release, and it hasn't had US television light, so that'd make me happy if they were to address it as such.

18. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

It's funny how they've played the series to death, but only aired the movie once I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. wonderfly

So when does Lupin end again?

20. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

It was supposed to be at the end of this year (Toonami usually airs a series finale at year's end so something new can take its place next year), but these marathons have thrown a monkey wrench into that plan. Unless they double up on Lupin premieres, it will have to extend into January.