"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Since when did "generic shonen tropes" become a bad thing? That used to be Toonami's bread and butter. Basic yummy goodness.

Heck, I thought the whole Dragon Ball saga was "generic shonen tropes", and I still love it. Same with "One Piece" and "Naruto"...

2. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

The thing about those shows is that they had some originality. Look at One Piece's worldbuilding. Dragonball Z started those tropes. Black Clover does not have that.

I think the issue is that the slot will be taken up for a long time and short runners are missed. Since Black Clover has a fanbase, I guess it can be kept for now.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's fine that you don't like the show and think that it's bad, but I don't think that anyone was trying to condemned it exactly. Even if I did have more a negative reactions to the first episode, I still think that wishing for it to be cancelled would be a bit extreme. Not to mention pretty unlikely since Toonami hasn't pulled a show out before it was done. The only exceptions were with Bewear the Batman and the Thundercats remake due to Cartoon Network writing off the rights to those shows, so it's highly unlikely that they'd get rid of Black Clover. I hate Jojo with a passion, I think it's immensely overrated I would like it if they didn't keep it on the block, but I know that people do like it, including the Toonami crew, so I just turn off the channel for half an hour while watching for IBO to start.

I think it mainly comes down to execution. Tropes themselves aren't bad. They are necessary to tell a story, but when they aren't executed in an interesting or unique way, it can comes off as lazy or uninteresting to people. While I didn't dislike the episode, I could already see a ton of Naruto influence in the basic premise, along with a bit of Fairy Tale due to the use of magic. It wasn't bad, but just not a creative or unique way to setup a Shonen series.

I can understand missing shorter series and another long running series taking up the slot is annoying too, especially if Black Clover goes on longer than the 52 episodes it has ordered. The lack of shorter series is a problem with the block as a whole rather than just due to Black Clover. I think another long running series taking up a slot would bother me more if we didn't get an extension for the block at the same time.

4. wonderfly

Well, as far as time slots go, I wouldn't think it's guaranteed that Black Clover is locked in at that time for the duration of it's run.

It's possible that when Iron-Blooded Orphans ends, they swap out time slots, pushing Black Clover and JoJo down and giving IBO's replacement the earlier time slot.

5. LevyAnime

LevyAnime I might need to hunch over for a bit...

Forgetting about Lupin? XD That's actually closest to finishing out of everything that's airing at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6. wonderfly

Good point. I wonder, will the Toonami block length time shorten back down when either IBO or Lupin ends, or will both IBO and Lupin get replacements?

7. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

I don't believe so. Zero point in starting the block at 10:30 now just to start it back up at 11 in January with a show ending/leaving. They'd be better off I believe just premiering Black Clover in January if that were the case. If ratings were an issue then I'd understand, but if there's also a new show ready to go, then something has to be kicked off the block in addition to Lupin after it ends.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That does make me wonder what Lupin's replacement will be. I don't think that the show will end before the end of the year, but we should probably get some announcement about it either before or during their Christmas and New Year marathons.

9. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Going by patterns, the Lupin slot usually goes to the more obscure shows. If not, I guess Gundam will be pushed there, which I'm sure would be controversial (that's what happened with Unicorn but IBO actually has casual fans because you don't need a lore book). Will it be an obscure show, or will Toonami break the mold and get a big-ish show?

10. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Judging from the trailer, The Ancient Magus' Bride would be an interesting pickup. Also, Funimation's doing the English version for the US market. Though, Crunchyroll probably has some exclusitivity for awhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Tenchi Muyo! could take Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop's place when one of them ends. There'd be issues with nudity in some episodes, but that's what the Digital Bikini is for (barring that, Toonami could opt for Tenchi Universe).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Black Clover's fanbase is helped by the fact that after the first three chapters of generic shounen everything afterwards massively improves starting at chapter 4 and 5.

13. wjbraden

wjbraden Member

I'm betting Lupin's replacement will be Mob Psycho, but then again, maybe it'll be FLCL, followed by FLCL2 in March-ish (if it's ready to go by then, that is).

As for Outlaw Star's replacement, I'm betting it'll be Big O, since they apparently have the rights to season 1 back, and in HD to boot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Uh... not really. Having read 130+ chapters of Black Clover, some new introduced characters and rushed pace doesn't change the fact Black Clover is pretty much the most super generic shonen anything even now. Some of those cliches it can do well but the problems people had with it in it's first chapters are still obvious apparent two and a half years in. And those are going to be pronounced much more if the anime continues it's pacing of how it adapts the manga which I don't really see changing. It's either one that is going to still be popular and still go at a snails pace or people will hate the anime and it will just be cancelled even if the manga keeps going. .

15. wonderfly

On the subject of the rerun slots: Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell were never on the old Toonami (though "Adult Swim Action" back then felt pretty similar to the "less edited" days of the Toonami Midnight Run). My point being that I think Outlaw Star is the first of the "Toonami Classics" to air on Toonami post-2012 rebirth (and no, I don't count DBZ Kai - that's not quite the same product as what we got on Toonami years ago).

EDIT: Wait, Toonami (post-2012) aired "IGPX" for a year or two, back around 2013 and 2014. So Outlaw Star's not technically the first. But IGPX was a call back to the Saturday Evening Toonami period from 2004 to 2007. "Outlaw Star" is the first rerun from the classic Golden Age Toonami period of 2000 to 2003.

If they're going to stick to rerunning the classics, it'd be awesome if they could do "The Big O" or "Tenchi Muyo". Or since they seem to have access to Gundam material, a return of "Gundam Wing" would be awesome. I doubt they'd be willing to do "long running" reruns like Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, or Sailor Moon.

Among old "Adult Swim Action" material, a return of "Gundam 0083" or "Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket" would be nostalgic, and we all know a rebroadcast of the original FLCL is coming, someday soon...Inuyasha reruns have already been done, I don't anticipate a return of that. Same with "Full Metal Alchemist". I'd be up for the return of some of the other 2003 to 2004 material: Give us some reruns of " Blue Gender", "Witch Hunter Robin", and "Wolf's Rain"! A nice call back to the period when Adult Swim was on the rise.

16. Dan's Revenge

Blue Gender would be fun if they timed it roughly around a time AMC began airing either a season premier or mid-season premier of The Walking Dead. Similar in story just numerous differences. Walkers/Blue. Both are enemies in which are combated against, and in both you have human vs human element too. Not sure though how well of a fan base it had when first airing, but I enjoyed it. I think it got two full runs and then it's last airing was the second-to-last episode and I believe that was it, so almost three complete runs. I liked the story line of Witch Hunter Robin and Wolf's Rain, though would pick Wolf's Rain in a heartbeat to return. I know there's also been hopes Trigun would make it back too which I'd also go for. (Like OS I have all of Trigun, but would still record and watch on [as] anyway)

The idea of the Gundam series is okay, but last I knew and regardless of when the dub was done, they wont shoot for anything pre 98 or so with Kai not too much counting given its fan base and it's condensed as a new series. Both 0080 and 0083 in Gundam are short with the former just 6 episodes and the latter 13. I just think it comes down to if it was popular enough the first time. IGPX I'd see as exempt since CN had a hand in it and that's why we saw it return, but even though I liked it enough, wasn't the greatest thing I saw. Not sure about Tenchi given how GXP was sent to 3:00am at some point to finish out its run (which it did better for it there of all times). Big O the most though I would like to see return as long as they have S1.

Now straying from older [as] classics, curious about any [as] Toonami series that would seem good enough to give a second or third round in the late rerun portion. Not necessarily a year-long series, but I'd of enjoyed Soul Eater again. Referring to InuYasha repeats, what about at least a second run for Final Act? Wouldn't mind Space Dandy getting another full run either.

17. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Tenchi Universe would probably be easier to program, because some of the early OAV episodes would require an hour-long timeslot. Also, unlike the OAV the female characters have no nipples which doesn't seem to bother the censors as much.

#6857 SpaceCowboy, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd still love to see Trigun on the block. Big O season one would be nice too. I doubt that they'd want anything much more than twenty six episodes for a rerun slot, especially for a slot so late in the block.

19. wonderfly

Doh! I forgot about Trigun. It's got nostalgia almost comparable to FLCL and Outlaw Star.

You bring up a good point with the "nothing older than 1998 (Cowboy Bebop)" rule but maybe that wouldn't apply to the classics. Gundam Wing is from 1996, for pities sake, only 2 years older.

I might welcome a rerun broadcast for early Toonami (post 2012) hits like Soul Eater or Blue Exorcist. Didn't Space Dandy already get a 3 am rebroadcast at one point?

20. Dan's Revenge

Yes, but only lasted for the first 13 episodes [again] after the series ended. 14-26 were all only played once as premiers.

Good enough reason for me to bring back Wing if I'm in charge ;) Never watched it during it's actual run (sorry for those that gasped to that) so it'd give me an opportunity to get my head in the game and grow some wings!