"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Any clue what will be aired this Spring?

2. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Is there a marathon tonight?

3. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Yes, a DBZ Kai marathon, but they'll also be airing the next part of Countdown, so be sure to watch that if you're interested.

4. JShaggy

JShaggy You Serious?!

New talkback images for Black Clover and the next Hunter X Hunter arc (Chimera Ant) are here and ready for use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

This is what I get for ignoring this topic until tonight. Ordinarily I'd be thrilled with Toonami coming on at a reasonable enough time to watch most of it live, but I have....like....over a month's worth of Lupins in my backlog and 24 hours to catch up. Crud.

6. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Super late but yeah that schedule looks a lot better.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So has anyone shown interest or volunteered to do the Black Clover talkback threads?

8. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Here is a question I have to ask, what is going on with Funimation streaming of the Black Clover dub. Does this mean they are going to suspend it for now until Toonami catches up and maybe get a couple of episodes ahead? That would make sense, that is what I would want if I am Toonami.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

The doubt from earlier has been resolved: we'll be getting "Hot Springs Planet Tenrei"!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. LevyAnime

LevyAnime I might need to hunch over for a bit...

Doesn't seem to be the case, as they're still uploading newly dubbed episodes on their site. At the moment, they're currently six episodes ahead of the current Toonami broadcast (and two episodes behind the Japanese broadcast IIRC), though that gap is bound to get larger in the coming weeks due to holidays and the like.

I understand how you feel, but I doubt that FUNimation is just gonna halt production of their dub and/or stop uploading dubbed episodes to their site just because Toonami is broadcasting it. FUNi is pushing this show hard, and despite it's...issues, it does have its fans that are watching the show through their website.

If anything, I see the Toonami broadcast as extra promotion for people who can't afford to subscribe to their site (like me), so it's no real skin off my back. But I do understand your thoughts, and I do hope that Toonami does well with Black Clover, espically since it's gonna be a long-runner. (51 episodes at the bare minimum)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

11. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I'm sure a lot of us want it to flop and get deathslotted. Tenchi GXP three or four years ago was the last to receive that fate. How bad would it have to do to get the deathslot?

12. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

^It depends on the anime in question, I really don't think Toonami would just get any anime and just air it at some random time, given how some can be more costly than others. It is likely more on how much potential a show has and its timeslot can either be good or bad from that result.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that Gundam Unicorn was also put into a deathslot, or at least it was a flop. I don't know how bad Black Clover would have to do to get similar treatment. Funimation and Crunchyroll really want it to do well and they do have it on right after the hour of DB content, so I don't think that the chances of it doing that poorly are that high right now.

I'll save my full thoughts on the episode when I'm ready to post in the talkback threads, but I don't think that it was that bad. It was very much standard Shonen tropes the series, but for me to hope for a show is a flop or given a deathslot, it needs to do a lot more than that to upset me, especially for a first episode.

14. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Would it be possible for Toonami to re-air the "Shelter" music video again this New Year's, but in full (with the Japanese dialog)?

15. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Okay, the show hasn't reached any Tokyo Ghoul level lows in quality yet, but there's still the frustration with Toonami's pickups. I know they are very limited in what they can get, but lately there have been more duds than desired. JoJo, Hunter, Gundam, and Lupin fans aren't too thrilled about being subjected to this show before getting to the good stuff (whatever said fan considers the good stuff). Maybe Black Clover some potential, but it had one of the worst first impressions out there (except maybe Akame ga Kill).

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that it left nearly as much of a bad first impression on me. It's certainly no where near Akame ga Kill or Tokyo Ghoul levels for me. I'll take generic shonen tropes over trying to be edgy and gritty any day of the week.I do have mixed feelings on the episode, but I kind of liked it in spite of that, or at least I was interested enough to keep watching the next few episodes to see where it goes. I can understand the frustration of Toonami's pickups, especially when I think a lot more fans wanted My Hero Academia than Black Clover and I haven't liked some of their recent shows.

As far as waiting longer to get to shows that they like, I can kind of understand that, but at the same time, people can just turn off off their TV for a half hour or so if they really don't like the show. I've done that with Jojo and that was a good decision for multiple reasons. It would actually be even easier with Black Clover since it's on relatively early, so there wouldn't be a huge chance of people being too tired to stay up longer for their other shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I don't really care since I was already using the 11:30 slot to watch the first half hour of Saturday Night Live because I couldn't stand the Majin Buu saga so this changes nothing for me, hopefully it gets canceled though.

18. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

You know, if you guys don't like a show, you can just not watch it. Black Clover isn't taking any other more "deserving" show's slot because we just got an expansion for the block.

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah...wishing for a show to get canned just because you don't like it isn't in great taste, IMO (there are probably some exceptions to this). I mean, just change the channel for half an hour.

20. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

A bad show is still a bad show and they shouldn't be condemned.