Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 2 Delayed Indefinitely

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by SB20xx, Feb 5, 2013.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

TVShowsOnDVD doesn't participate in April Fool's jokes. Amazon is apparently not up to speed on the delay.

2. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

If an item is definitely not cancelled, sometimes Amazon will just leave the solicitation up until official word on the release date is confirmed, then they'll just change the release date to the new one once it's determined. -- Although, if the product does happen to change, they may just take it down with all it's negative reviews and ratings, then relist it fresh. Sometimes, when that happens, they'll send anyone who pre-ordered the item an email stating that they are either cancelling the original order or that they will honor it with the newly listed item.

3. Miroku4444

Miroku4444 Guest

I'm glad to hear this is real. Hopefully the postponement is to fix the missing episodes issue? I have these episodes on VHS, but was looking forward to seeing them in hi-def. These are the two best episodes of the series, and a collection isnt complete without them. I just prey that WB finally listened to us fans.

4. Greatoz

Greatoz Guest

Yes before the very violent and aggressive cartoons introduced there were cartoons like Tom and Jerry where kids could really have a good laugh without a sense of evil to destroy the other ones. Good to know the golden collection is released so kids of new generations can enjoy them too.

5. THGhost

THGhost Member

December 17th appears to be the new release date at the moment. No confirmation as to whether or not Mouse Cleaning or Casanova Cat will be included.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Hopefully we'll get some info on Stu's Show this Wednesday, as Jerry Beck will be on again.

7. iptumcea

iptumcea Member

Just look at those one-star reviews and their quantity. I'd say there are still quite a lot of T&J classics fans.

8. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

Just an FYI, Jerry Beck will be on Stu's Show this Wednesday. Perhaps he'll give some insight on this development.

9. THGhost

THGhost Member

We know. :)

----------

From Blu-ray.com's forum:

Quote:
    Okay, I just sent this to Stu's Show: Quote:
    Many of us cartoon enthusiasts have been complaining about the possible exclusion of certain shorts on the upcoming Tom and Jerry volume 2 blu-ray set. Specifically, certain racially distasteful shorts that cartoon fans appreciate for the art and the craft, but not the racial content. An idea to this problem (as I just suggested on Blu-ray.com's forums) may be this: All they have to do is hide the racist shorts as an easy to access easter egg. Right when you access the egg, a disclaimer could pop up that reads something like: The following cartoons were included for fans who wanted the complete collection of T&J shorts for the sole purpose of seeing the original series for it's unaltered artistic value. The following films do not represent the values of our studio or its staff, but are included here to provide an unbiased and historically complete account of the T&J franchise. If the topic of T&J and these certain cartoons (which are important to the history of T&J as well as H&B, even if we all find them not so palatable) comes up, could you drop this "easter egg" suggestion in as a possible solution? Respectfully, -[my name here][/TD][/TR]
    [/TD][/TR]

(Myself) This is good stuff. [​IMG] I've emailed them suggesting they put them on volume 3 as well if it is too late to put them on volume 2. But they've got til December (allegedly)until the set is released so that should be more than enough time. Still, more ideas for Jerry & Stu to talk about.

#29 THGhost, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

They shouldn't have to hide the shorts. They're a part of cinema history and deserve just as much attention as the rest. All they need is the disclaimer on the packaging and before the menu, but I guess that was too complicated for WB.

11. THGhost

THGhost Member

They may end up doing that, you never know.

Got a reply from Stu! [​IMG]:

Quote:
    Thanks again![/TD][/TR]

#31 THGhost, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  12. THGhost

THGhost Member

Listening to Stu's Show. Should be getting to the second half of the show soon when Jerry will talk about volume 2.

13. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

The news is not encouraging; The set is not coming out this year, Warner Legal and WHV are still at in impasse regarding the two cartoons. Jerry is convinced that Warner will still put it out (since they spent money restoring the cartoons), but when, and whether or not it'll be complete is up in the air.

Looney Tunes Platinum #3 has also been pushed back until next year, and it sounds like Warner has declared war on cartoon fans (very little on the horizon).

14. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Excuse me for a moment...

*curses and screams in the bathroom*

So yeah, this news kinda sucks.

15. ClassicTVMan1981

I hope this doesn't mean the end of all pre-1969 Looney Tunes, either... and I hope the Censored 11 shorts' masters don't get destroyed because of legal wranglings.

The Parents' Television Council is to the cartoon industry what the Parents' Music Resource Center is to the music industry. The PTC believes naughty cartoons promote social ills. If these "naughty 'toons" ever do get released, a warning label should be affixed to remind certain cultures of such offensive cartoons contained in DVD sets.

In conclusion, I'd like to say good evening to everyone on this forum. I would like you all to know that Jesus loves you, and that it's not over 'til it's over.

~Ben

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Jeez. SO not the news I wanted to hear. I guess it's better than stating those sets are outright cancelled, but still. We had a good thing going from 2003 to 2008; it's a shame the DVD market sucks so much right now and (presumably) WB's legal department is so paranoid about lawsuits and bad PR. Just release the two cartoons with a disclaimer. It's not that complicated.

Was there ever a reason why more Looney Tunes hasn't been released through the Warner Archive? To my knowledge, only one release so far has been done that way (Bugs Bunny Superstar). It seems like a much better way than through WB's family division, which as far as I'm concerned is a dead end by this point.

17. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Seriously, what the HFIL's so bad about uncut cartoons!? What, does a disclaimer somehow not justify things for these idiots? I'm not sure I want to support WB at this point, not with this whole flip-flop bullcrap.

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Take this post with a big grain of salt, since anyone on the internet can make anything up, but allegedly there's ONE person at WB who is steadfast that these cartoons not be released. If that's true, wow. Who died and made you the decision maker on what's appropriate for me to watch?

19. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Ian, you guesses are as good as mine.

Delaying Looney Tunes #3, in particular, feels like a deliberate addition of insult to injury.

20. THGhost

THGhost Member

My post from Blu-ray.com (contains some additional information):

Brace yourselves, guys.

Jerry Beck says that based on what he knows, volume 2 will not be coming out this year. Maybe next year. If it is coming out this year, he does not know about it. He believes it will come out eventually and also mentioned that the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection volume 3 has been pushed back to next year.

No mention of Mouse Cleaning or Casanova Cat.

He says WHV don't want a "PR nightmare" regarding black stereotyping. Despite Mouse Cleaning or Casanova Cat being products of their time and the fact there are various other shorts on the set with racial imagery. "They want to release them, but they can't."
    He also mentioned that the Easter egg thing was a good idea. [​IMG]
    Jerry was also open to the idea of WB possibly putting out Mouse Cleaning or Casanova Cat without any publicity to stores like Walmart, where fans that know about it will buy it. Seems doubtful at the moment though.

Time for some shut-eye.