Tom and Jerry vs. Looney Toons

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by juan5557903, Jan 6, 2012.

1. juan5557903

juan5557903 Member

Which classic cartoon do you think is better? I will go with Tom and Jerry; Looney Tunes is a good classic cartoon, but I find Tom and Jerry more appealing because it tends to make me laugh more, and the whole "never ending cat and mouse chase" makes things even more hilarious.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If you twisted my arm, I'd say Looney Tunes, because of the wider variety, thanks to the different directors/crew and a plethora of series under that and the Merrie Melodies banners. But really, both are great classic cartoon franchises by some very talented people.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I enjoy both when they're done well, but if I had to choose, then I'd go with Looney Tunes, hands down. More variety, better gags, more appealing characters and stories, no offense to T&J fans, but the endless variations on the 'cat chases mouse' theme can get a tad repetitive. Plus, Jerry could be kind of a jerk sometimes. But again, the good shorts work.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm also going to go with Looney Tunes. I feel that there's more variety with those shorts due to the different characters they can work with, I think that the humor is stronger and it's just more enjoyable to watch. It also helps that I've never been that into Tom and Jerry. I don't think I've ever laughed that much while watching them. I can appreciate the impact Tom and Jerry have on other cartoons and animation in general, but I never thought it was that funny. They can be still enjoyable to watch, but if given the choice, I would choose Looney Tunes over Tom and Jerry.

5. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

Another vote for Looney Tunes. I'm no fool, I understand Tom and Jerry is one of the all time greatest cartoons. On an all time greatest cartoons list some years ago, T&J was ranked 50. I'm not that into T&J but that was a joke. It should have been a lot higher. With that being said, Looney Tunes is in my top 5. You can definitely make the argument that Looney Tunes is the greatest cartoon of all time. No other cartoon produced as many stars than Looney Tunes. Who doesn't know Bugs, Daffy, Porky, Road Runner/Coyote, Speedy, Elmer, Sylvester/Tweety, Froghorn, Taz and Pepe?

6. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

You could say Tweety is a jerk as well. But as much as I love Bill and Joe's creations, I think I have to go with Looney Tunes. But Tom & Jerry has its advantages as well, like you can't always tell who's going to come out on top, unlike the Bugs vs. Daffy or Coyote vs. Roadrunner shorts.

7. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

Lets just say Jerry came out on top 99% of the time. But to be fair, Bugs actually lost when he played the villian role.

8. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Looney Tunes by an absolute long shot. I always found Tom & Jerry to be a boring and repetitive while Looney Tunes has more variety.

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think this is a fair comparison, as Tom and Jerry is just it's own series, while Looney Tunes features a larger amount of characters each with their own series.

I love both series, but I do enjoy Looney Tunes more because of the variety.

#9 Dudley, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  10. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Looney Tunes easily for me. Was always lukewarm toward Tom and Jerry, for reasons cited above (Spike was a jerk half the time too!)...

11. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

How was Spike a jerk?

12. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Guess it's the "you bumped into me so I'll beat you to a pulp" tone he had in most of his appearances. Even with protecting his son thrown in, it still came off as way too obnoxious to me, I guess (as if Tom didn't already get cast as the villain for merely doing his job...).

13. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Jerry came out on top considerably less than that. Yes, most shorts end with him winning, but there's a fair amount of shorts were Tom wins, neither wins, or they strike a truce to work together.

The Tom & Jerry series is not nearly as one-sided as people make it out to be. It's perhaps the most fair when it comes to series with a character that's "supposed" to lose. Wile E. Coyote NEVER won, Katnip (Herman & Katnip) only got one happy ending, Elmer only won over Bugs Bunny twice, Bluto only came on top when teamed with Popeye (which wasn't often), Sylvester never won against either Tweety or Speedy (although he got a couple of happy endings), and let's not get even started on Dastardly & Muttley.

14. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

For me, it's definately Looney Tunes as I feel the series has more varied plots and diverse characters. Plus with most LT or MM shorts, you get somewhat of a deeper insight on the characters and what makes them tick. Tom & Jerry is great cartoon series no doubt; but for some reason it's never held my full attention especially as I got older.So i give the edge to Looney Tunes.

15. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

And you know what? Pretty much all those toons were influenced by Tom and Jerry. You probably know more about T&J than me, but I can only recall Tom winning once and that's when he had his look-a-like cousin help him run Jerry crazy.

16. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Tom had sort of a Pyrrhic victory in "The Million Dollar Cat". He lost his million dollar inheritance by trying to harm another living creature, but he was still happy because he was finally able to exact sweet revenge on Jerry, who was being a total jerk to him throughout the film.

17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Agreed, and that's one thing I like about T&J: You never knew what to expect in that department. The pendulum could swing either way.

18. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Flying Cutlery!!

This is exactly the point I raised when many brought up Tom in this thread I made a while back: The Most Punished Cartoon Character Ever?

19. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I believe the reason why most people believe Jerry ALWAYS wins is because the most popular shorts and the ones most discussed in message boards (read: all the Oscar winners) are shorts in which Jerry wins.

Tom actually comes out on top in all of these shorts:
    - "The Million Dollar Cat"
    - "The Bodyguard"
    - "Hic-Cup Pup"
    - "Southbound Duckling"
    - "Little School Mouse"
    - "Mouse For Sale"
    - "Timid Tabby"
    - "The Vanishing Duck"

Tom also gets happy endings in all of these:
    - "Heavenly Puss"
    - "Old Rockin' Chair Tom"
    - "Triplet Trouble"
    - "That's My Mommy"
    - "Life With Tom"

And then we have a bunch of shorts were neither wins:
    - "Baby Puss"
    - "A Mouse in The House"
    - "His Mouse Friday"
    - "Baby Butch"
    - "Blue Cat Blues"
    - "Tot Watchers"

And then we have "Mouse in Manhattan" which... doesn't really fit into anything. I believe there are more examples for all the categories listed above, but I will have to go back and check a guide. There are a few shorts in which the outcome is rather debatable, like "Barbecue Brawl" (T&J don't really do much), "The Framed Cat" (Tom doesn't win, but does Jerry?), or "Down Beat Bear" (who really won, here?).

So yeah, I think there's plenty of evidence to state that both Tom & Jerry got their fair share through out the series. Jerry did win most of the time, but Tom wasn't exactly a punching bag.

20. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

You guys are comparing the entirety of Warner Bros.' output to a single MGM series (even it it is the longest-lasting and most popular). A fairer comparison would be Looney Tunes vs. MGM cartoons; the latter would benefit from factoring in Tex Avery's cartoons, Barney Bear, etc.

Sylvester arguably gets a rawer deal than Tom. Pretty much every one of his cartoons ends badly for him, even when it's not karmically justified (i.e. A Mouse Divided and Satan's Waitin')